Not many women in Sentai, are there?

Cause there's like a lot of other Sentai too
dekamaster
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: magiranger
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: sentai/kamen rider

Re: Not many women in Sentai, are there?

Post by dekamaster »

so what brought this up anyway? also if the one next to deka swan is deka gold, you'd think they could of used a better picture rather than one that makes her look a redish shade of orange.
series I've watched

sentai:Live,Dai,deka,magi,geki,go on,shinken,gosei,gokai,go busters

kamen rider:ZX,ryuki,Decade,W,OOO,fourze
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Oh, I just saw the picture on 4chan and had the same thought as the thread title. Prompted some interesting discussion at least.
Coldfission
Infinity
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Post by Coldfission »

OnmyojiOmn wrote:http://imgur.com/a/E70FI

Not safe for work! I'll understand if this gets deleted.
Domo.
JonSilver
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by JonSilver »

dekamaster wrote:so what brought this up anyway? also if the one next to deka swan is deka gold, you'd think they could of used a better picture rather than one that makes her look a redish shade of orange.
Well...
Spoiler
There's no other pic out there. In the movie, she transforms and is immediately beaten by the bad guys
Darkwings
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Darkwings »

Well... kinda the same topic about gender stereotypes that came up with "we can't have a yellow member this year cause it's usually a female".

The reason why they are few is that there's usually one per team.
The reason why there's one per team is exactly to avoid having none at all (and all sort of criticism and consequences coming form that).

Also, when making a team there's the "team of five" trope coming in. It existed since the beginning and it gives both audience and critics less resons to openly dislike the show and more chances to feel represented.

We could get around it with fancy words but facing it bluntly:

If they could get away with it, they'd rather have all males.
They can get away with no 'white' or 'black' guys, but they still have women in Japan. :roll:
Leonsagara
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Leonsagara »

I don't think they would have an all male team, even if they thought people would get mad if they didn't have a female member. They've had at least 1 per season for a long time, often 2. Their target audience presumably includes little girls, so they want at least one character the girls can relate to.
MajinBOO
It's not even funny
It's not even funny

Post by MajinBOO »

Where are AbarePink and GekiGreen. They also have ranger keys. :lol: :lol:
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

I've added Yellow Buster and KyouryuuPink to the image!!!

dekamaster
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: magiranger
My boom: sentai/kamen rider

Post by dekamaster »

JonSilver wrote:
dekamaster wrote:so what brought this up anyway? also if the one next to deka swan is deka gold, you'd think they could of used a better picture rather than one that makes her look a redish shade of orange.
Well...
Spoiler
There's no other pic out there. In the movie, she transforms and is immediately beaten by the bad guys
I know that the costume only appears for a brief moment but it's not the only picture since that wasn't even the pose she was in when she henshined

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_lLsdaCVk3Kk/T ... 915_06.jpg

this was, admittedly the pics a bit big but I don't think it'd be hard to shrink it down while still making it easy to tell who it is, or at the very least still easier to tell than the last one since she's actually gold in it.
series I've watched

sentai:Live,Dai,deka,magi,geki,go on,shinken,gosei,gokai,go busters

kamen rider:ZX,ryuki,Decade,W,OOO,fourze
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

dancercotillion wrote:Do... do you think us 85er's are crippled with arthritis, hobbling our way through life until we expire in fifty more years?
Not really. It's more on how energetic and the way she dances that makes me dumbstruck with the question. I would've thought she was 20 that time.

And I'm just 5 years younger than the 85er's. Don't worry.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Haha, thanks for updating it davinci. I guess I should have did that myself before upping it
warote55
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by warote55 »

Given that the Super Sentai is Japanese, I am not surprise that there are few women in each of the Super Sentai, or in any other tokusatsu series. Japan and other Asian countries are very male dominated. I however would like to see a woman as a red ranger. And I am not counting the female red ranger in the Shinkenger series.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

takenoko wrote:Haha, thanks for updating it davinci. I guess I should have did that myself before upping it
You're welcome.

kirifuda
Kamen Rider Club
Kamen Rider Club
Favorite series: super sentai
2nd Favorite Series: kamen rider
Dreamy: momotaros
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Quote: i'm gonna tear down my barriers with my own hands

Post by kirifuda »

It's really cool to see the long line of females in the sentai series. They often bring a lot to the table in terms of what they can and cannot do....and then there's ones on the team that you honestly have to shake your head at because you just...can't really understand the point of them being there.

Honestly I never liked BoukenYellow. I thought she was stupid and a waste of time - I didn't really care that her character got "fleshed out" more as it went on but within the first six or so episodes I was pretty set on not liking her. It was like they had to find a character to offset the way that BoukenPink was and the only way to really do it was to make someone completely ridiculous (who turned into a Deus Ex later on).

And that's sort of why I think they usually have two females - one to offset the other or be the completely opposite in every way. You usually have the super girlie girl (who becomes tough in a pinch but not often!) and then you have the tomboy who can get things done (who is surprisingly frail in certain moments). In the case of KyuPink, Amy's a bit of both? TimePink also fell into the "bit of both" category, as well as GaoWhite and NinjaWhite. Examples though of "one to set off the other" would be Blue Swallow and White Swan, even Ahim and Luka or Houka and Urara.

They really don't have to have two girls, there are plenty of seasons where a solo girl kicks along with the guys and does just fine. A lot of the older sentais had some pretty kickass female leads (like Liveman or Kakuranger) and it wasn't really until the later stuff that it seemed a requirement to have two girls? Or maybe just an expectation? Not bashing on having two females in a series/season though, it's cool to see what they come up with, but sometimes the girls that they do come up with are pretty painful and maybe it would be better to not have one at all?

Just saying on my end.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I agree with what you're saying about the two girls dynamic. I was thinking that myself earlier. I was mentally imagining how the storylines would have worked if they had only one girl, and I imagine it probably wouldn't be too much different.

Like KyuPink is assertive, an active participant, a fighter, but then she spends her episode being a tied up damsel. Guess the opportunity is rather limited for females

Return to “Sentai”