kirifuda
Kamen Rider Club
Kamen Rider Club
Favorite series: super sentai
2nd Favorite Series: kamen rider
Dreamy: momotaros
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Quote: i'm gonna tear down my barriers with my own hands

Re: Not many women in Sentai, are there?

Post by kirifuda »

Pretty much. It's a shame though because there are so many awesome female rolls out there (and/or personality types) and we only get to see a select few portrayed either for character laughs or the development of others in the series. Very seldom can they actually hold their own and become a major break out - but when they do manage it they're pretty freaking amazing.

The other thing is the constant "shipping" of characters - I guess maybe having two girls on a team will prevent people from throwing the poor single at every guy in the group like she's a bicycle? Though we could say that the girl is there to maybe prevent people from throwing the guys at one another but that would probably keep happening even if there were three girls and only two guys.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

It's not like they won't throw the boys at each other anyway.
butyoumight
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Sengoku Ryouma
Favorite Actor?: Jinnai Sho
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Persona 4
Quote: Ware wa kage, shinnaru ware.

Post by butyoumight »

Lunagel wrote:It's not like they won't throw the boys at each other anyway.
Throwing the boys at each other is more fun.

Also, when there's two girls, they get thrown together a lot too, SO.
DekaBreak
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Favorite Actor?: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japanese Language
Quote: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by DekaBreak »

Taking out DekaGold and DekaBright ,whom the 199 Heroes film conveniently, though understandably (at least in the case of DekaGold, maybe not DekaBright) cut out and had the Gokaigers ignore in the count, we have 56 females in Sentai, adding Mele, as she had a ranger key. 56/199 gives us 28.1% of them being female. Rounding up, slightly less than 3 in 10 Sentai members are female. That's sad...
redfarmer
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Kyoryuger, Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Drive
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by redfarmer »

Darkwings wrote:The reason why they are few is that there's usually one per team.
The reason why there's one per team is exactly to avoid having none at all (and all sort of criticism and consequences coming form that).
Sun Vulcan is the only time there's been an all-male team. That was pretty early on, so it would be interesting to know if they got some criticism at not having a woman on the team.
Watched:
Dairanger, Kakuranger, Dekaranger, Magiranger, Boukenger, Gekiranger, Shinkenger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, Go-busters, Kyoryuger, Jyuohger
Ryuki, 555, Blade, Kabuto, Fourze, Wizard, Drive

Watching:
Ohranger, Kyuuranger
Den-o, Ex-Aid
TAKBonez
Kamen Rider Club
Kamen Rider Club
Favorite series: Kyouryuuger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Fourze
Dreamy: Luka Milfy
Favorite Actor?: None
Favorite Band: Punk & Crust
Quote: Hime hime hime, suki suki daisuki, hime hime
Type: ESFP Performer

Post by TAKBonez »

one of my fave things about Akibaranger is its 2 Females 1 Male. Quite the opposite of "Official Sentai". Tho they could tone down the amount of Nya & Nyan that AkibaYellow uses which annoyed me to no end in the first season. But by now I'm used to it and its a love/hate thing.
nanaholic
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Post by nanaholic »

archer9234 wrote:Who thought they weren't a lot? Granted looking at a single team, minus Dekaranger. They're the only team to have equal gender. There is usually one. But as a series whole there is a lot women in the show. Now Kamen Rider is the show that's the susage fest.
Kamen Rider may not have many female riders but they do make sure to cast at least one girl in the main cast. Plus IMO Queen (Kagami Saki) from Kiva is still amongst one of the hottest tokusatsu actress I've seen.

Though in terms of Sentai I think we've been treated with some pretty nice looking ladies - for some reason the shows which features actresses which I found attractive happens to be the ones with two female rangers such as Dekaranger, Go-onger, Boukenger and Gokaiger. :D If I had to pick just one though I'll take Go-on Silver/Sugimoto Yumi as my fav, I didn't like the show much but boy did she make me watch the whole show just to see her in those shorts. :lol:
MajinBOO
It's not even funny
It's not even funny

Post by MajinBOO »

Male Rangers for Boys.
Female Rangers for Men.
Female robot for Akagi Nobuo. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
kuroblack
Go Go!

Post by kuroblack »

toni2212 wrote:I doubt Shokotan will be one. She already got denied in favour of Umeko's actress in Deka. And nowadays trend meant that only actress between 16-22 will get chosen now. I must say it's a relief that she got to be AkibaPink briefly in Delusion World. At least she got to be one.
really? I thought it was a different actress playing a parody of henshined Shokotan?
butyoumight
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Go-Busters
Dreamy: Sengoku Ryouma
Favorite Actor?: Jinnai Sho
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Persona 4
Quote: Ware wa kage, shinnaru ware.

Post by butyoumight »

DekaBreak wrote:Taking out DekaGold and DekaBright ,whom the 199 Heroes film conveniently, though understandably (at least in the case of DekaGold, maybe not DekaBright) cut out and had the Gokaigers ignore in the count, we have 56 females in Sentai, adding Mele, as she had a ranger key. 56/199 gives us 28.1% of them being female. Rounding up, slightly less than 3 in 10 Sentai members are female. That's sad...
Slightly less than three in ten is still 1.5/5 which I guess is sad if you look at it that way but it's also... Just how the franchise goes, has gone for 37 years and probably will continue to go.

I saw a post on Tumblr the other day complaining about Kyoryuger only having one girl and how if Violet ends up being male they're probably going to stop watching the show. They might have also said something about wanting there to be a female Spirit ranger who was an 'official' member of the team, which seems... unlikely, at best.

I couldn't help but want to bring up the Kamen Rider example (how many female Riders have there been? How many outside of movies? How many have died?) but then I remembered that not everyone watches Kamen Rider.

Still, I don't think there only being one female ranger on a team, regardless of how many auxiliaries there are, is a good reason to just NOT WATCH an entire season. Shit, Power Rangers has a tendency to make one of the male rangers female just to avoid this same kind of malarkey, and the times they didn't (Dino Thunder and Ninja Storm) were actually pretty good seasons, despite there, GASP, only being one female on the team.

It's almost as if having more women on a team doesn't make it any better or worse because they're all fictional characters in a JAPANESE television show.

I think mostly I'm just tired of social justice type people (on Tumblr, I mean, less so you guys here) railing on Super Sentai like it should be some shining example of gender equality, when IT'S NOT AN AMERICAN SHOW and they have literally no reason to appeal to American sensibilities?

Anyway, that's just my (quite a bit more than) two cents.
TAKBonez
Kamen Rider Club
Kamen Rider Club
Favorite series: Kyouryuuger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Fourze
Dreamy: Luka Milfy
Favorite Actor?: None
Favorite Band: Punk & Crust
Quote: Hime hime hime, suki suki daisuki, hime hime
Type: ESFP Performer

Post by TAKBonez »

gotta say I agree with u butyoumight. Plus people in general want shows to be more realistic. Things in life aren't always fair and equal. So having some series have only one female vs 2 isn't bad imo but then I'm a guy. But they could at least do an Akiba type thing and have 3 Females and 2 males here and there.
DevGryphon
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: SKYRIM!!
Quote: Define normal...
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by DevGryphon »

DekaBreak wrote:Taking out DekaGold and DekaBright ,whom the 199 Heroes film conveniently, though understandably (at least in the case of DekaGold, maybe not DekaBright) cut out and had the Gokaigers ignore in the count, we have 56 females in Sentai, adding Mele, as she had a ranger key. 56/199 gives us 28.1% of them being female. Rounding up, slightly less than 3 in 10 Sentai members are female. That's sad...
That's true, but if you leave DekaGold and DekaBright in and add the Go-Busters and the Kyoryuugers you get 60/214...which still gives you 28%...that is sad.
Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting, and drinking. If you cheat, may you cheat death; if you steal, may you steal a woman's heart; if you fight, may you fight for a brother; if you drink, may you drink with me.
qedins
Go Go!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Favorite Actor?: Riisa Naka
Favorite Band: L'arc en Ciel
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Quote: "Where's our eccentric?"
"I'm right here!"
"No. I mean sempai."
"Oh."

Post by qedins »

No photo of Akiba Blue and Yellow?
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

kuroblack wrote:really? I thought it was a different actress playing a parody of henshined Shokotan?
Oops, my bad.
Tomos
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Languages/singing

Post by Tomos »

I can see what butyoumight is saying. Although technically worldwide they're trying to achieve gender equality, it's just Japan isn't very good at it. But I agree with everything else.

Return to “Sentai”