darkmage02
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ryuki
Dreamy: Miu from Fourze
Favorite Band: The GazettE
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: DIGIMON!
Quote: I devour your dreams as I watch you despair.

Re: Sentai Series to Begin With

Post by darkmage02 »

There are a few Sentai series I would love to watch (maybe it's my PR nostalgia working here) but after reading through all the suggestions, I shall start with Dekaranger. Thank you so much everyone! :)
Complete. Start Up. 3. 2. 1. Time Out. Reformation.
tmx1992
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Favorite series: All sentais
Favorite Band: Project. R

Post by tmx1992 »

I started with Magi 9 yrs ago, then watched deka vs magi (twin cam angels + magical sisters!), and watched deka and followed the rest chronogically. There's just something other than short skirts about sentai that's different from PR. :D
Impact
7X
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Dairanger
Favorite Band: Gackt
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Shio Ramen
Quote: "Dios no me ama!"

Post by Impact »

It depends on what Kamen Rider you liked. Find one that matches the tone or is similarly themed. I started with Gokaiger and went from there. My favorite Rider, for example, is W, and one of my favorite Sentai was Gobusters. Not similarly themed, but they shared a mixed light and occasionally dark tone.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

Gekiranger was my first. Someone knew I was into Naruto at the time and showed me it.
Merisusa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: PGSM / Akibaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze / Gokaiger
Dreamy: Nephrite / Yumeria
Favorite Actor?: Masato Wada
Favorite Band: Yuzu / Daft Punk
My boom: Gekiga
Quote: We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. -Oscar Wilde

Post by Merisusa »

The first Sentai series I watched in its entirety was Gokaigers, and I found it a great starter after having only watched a handful of random episodes from other series on YouTube. It had a great theme and design, while being filled to the brim with Sentai tropes and actors from previous series.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

Merisusa wrote:The first Sentai series I watched in its entirety was Gokaigers, and I found it a great starter after having only watched a handful of random episodes from other series on YouTube. It had a great theme and design, while being filled to the brim with Sentai tropes and actors from previous series.
Same I started with the Gokaigers since it was one of the best shows that gave tribute to the past super sentai. I went on to watch Go-Ongers. There are still some more that I haven't watched but I like the super sentai.
zeldAIS
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: 音楽とか妖怪のテマ
2nd Favorite Series: スーパー戦隊シリーズ
Dreamy: 松岡茉優Queen
My boom: 漫画,音楽,ドラマ,映画
Quote: "The fan translations community must be helping & understanding each other."
"Quality fan translations take quality time."

Post by zeldAIS »

I also think you can start with Gokaiger. You can already understand the theme of Sentai and will also have introductions to other titles of Sentai. The show did good handling on playing homages to past series. After watching that, you can have an idea on what the past series are themed from so you can choose what Sentai series you would want to watch next. Every series has their own unique charms anyway. Though probably my favorite title that TV-Nihon already fully subbed is Gekiranger (but I'm probably just biased because it's the very first series I worked for TV-Nihon).

PS: As I'm old, I already started watching Sentai as a kid. Liveman was my first during its very first run when I was still living in Ibaraki. Since Toei tokusatsu series plays a big part in Japanese culture, next to every kid will watch the airing series of the franchise. You can imagine my lolwtf face why Zyuranger became Power Rangers LOL
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

Personally, I've found that the best series to start (with anything) can just be the series that is coming out now, whatever that is.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

My first was Dekaranger,which I thought was alright but, it wasn't until I saw Dairanger that I really got into it.
My favorite is Changeman but, the subs are in some weird limbo so I dunno how easy they'd be to get...

So, basically? Watch Dairanger. :P
TankCoyote
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Decade
Dreamy: Joe
Favorite Actor?: Gai
Favorite Band: Yes
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: my GF
Quote: GOKAICHANGE! GoooookaiSiiiilver!

Post by TankCoyote »

Start with Gokaiger. It'll give the run-down on Sentai just like Decade did with Riders
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Either Shinkenger or Kyoryuger would be my recommendation.
Haruki
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Magiranger, Gokaiger
Dreamy: Mayonnaise!
Favorite Band: sekaowa
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Sachou!"

Post by Haruki »

Uuuu lots of peeps loved Deka and Magi as well.

I, too started with Deka and Magi. Man at that time I was like 9 or something and I for sure thought everyone else in my school was watching the same thing because it was super awesome and on my TV. Then when I excitedly started talking to them about a space police with a dog for a head they gave me the first shock of my life. Only a few years later do I realize it was a CD my brother had played in order to shut me up.

so, starting with Deka is totally the way to go if you want to get the full sentai feels when you finally reach Gokaiger :D
So my bro went "Uh uh! Girls can't like Kamen Riders" and I'm all,
Spoiler

Just a normal girl, waltzing with Tokusatsu. buriburi
EssThree
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Gaim:Shinkenger:Garo
2nd Favorite Series: W:Yuusha Yoshihiko
Favorite Band: New Order
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Youtube food shows
Quote: Toku watchlist:
-Completed-
SS: Zyu, Dai, Kaku, Deka, Magi, Shinken, Gosei
KR: First, Next, Den-O, W, OOO, Fourze, Gaim
Misc: Garo/Beast/RR/Kiba, Cutie Honey, Yoshihiko
-Current-
Ohranger, Ninninger, KR Drive, Garo Makai Senki, PGSM
Type: INTP Architect

Post by EssThree »

I feel like if you enjoy the episodic story format and don't mind a show that's a wee bit dated, Dekaranger is a fantastic place to start. Very memorable characters. If you prefer more serialised story telling then Magiranger is the place to go.
If you're feeling adventurous, you could jump back to Dairanger and see where MMPR season 2 came from. Though the story kind of swaps back and forth through plot lines in a strange way, I still really liked Dairanger a lot (certainly a lot more than Zyuranger).
The only modern stuff I've watched is Shinkenger and Goseiger, and out of those two I think Shinkenger is the stronger, and has a really nifty samurai theme.

That's my (not overly informed) opinion! Edit: For the record, Gaim is my favourite, followed by W and OOO :)

Edit 2 (further rambling): I watched Magiranger back when T-N had just finished subbing it. It was my first foray into Sentai and I loved it. Then Boukenger followed it up and I lost interest pretty quick. Then I came back when Shinkenger had just finished and loved every moment of it, then followed it up with Goseiger, which I actually enjoyed a lot more than most people seem to, but not as much as Shinkenger. Then I stopped watching Sentai for a few years and saw a toy review for the Go-busters figures and that got me interested again. I heard that Gokaiger was the bee's knees so I decided to go back and watch the necessary series to fully appreciate it. I ended up going all the way back to Dairanger and thoroughly enjoyed it, then watched Dekaranger, and after that branched out into a few non-T-N subs to watch Kakuranger, and then got my hands on Zyuranger. I smashed down Dai, Deka, Zyu and Kaku in a very short amount of time, so I'm burnt out at the moment. But I'm going to watch Ninninger from the start, then jump back into my "history" lesson working my way forward through time. And that's pretty much my life story...
Netto no Zen-Aki
Gabu
Favorite series: Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: Rider
Quote: "We cannot change the past, for it is written in stone. So we look to the future, for it has yet to be written."

Completed:
KR- Ryuki, Kabuto, Kiva, Den-O, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
Sentai- Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-On, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Go-Bust, Kyouryu, ToQger
ETC- Ryukendo, Rescue Force, Rescue Fire, Garo, Garo: Makai Senki, Garo: Yami

Current:
Shuriken Sentai Ninninger
Kamen Rider Ghost

Post by Netto no Zen-Aki »

I'll throw my 2 cents in and say you should start with Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger. It's the first one I started watching and it was only because of my curiosity from seeing "Based on Dekaranger" in the end credits for Power Rangers SPD. And I do not regret it one bit. I love laughing at all the jokes. And if you understand a decent amount of the Japanese culture and can get passed puns upon puns which are layered on top of word play, then you will enjoy any sentai series you watch. Heck, just look at my list of Sentai series in the lower corner, I've been a Sentai Fan since Deka and been watching ever since.

Imo: I'd rank Geki as my number one because of Jan/GekiRed.
Shinkenger is number two because of Plot.
and number three is Gokaiger because it's showy. *I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.*
the_strangeman
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Post by the_strangeman »

I started as a huge fan of Kamen Rider Black and RX which aired on TV in Indonesia when I was a kid. Then at some point I lost interest in KR as I grew up. Kabuto and KR Spirits manga was the ones which drew me back. I became aware of "superhero time" concept back in 2006 and started seeing Boukenger. Loved it. Been following sentai series since then.

My favorite sentai of all time (until now) is Shinkenger. The plot is excellent and it shows group dynamic I have never seen in sentai series before.

Return to “Sentai”