TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Best Super Sentai Red

Post by TorchWood »

Yes, this is an offshoot of Fixing Ninninger. But, rather than hijack that topic, I would create this separate thread.

In every Super Sentai series, we have had a Red Super Sentai member, and with minor exceptions, was the leader of the team. So, who do you consider the best Red Super Sentai member, were they serious and comic, and how did they contribute to the success of the series? Note that I am talking about whole-series Red, not short-arc reds such as Kaoru Shiba from Shinkenger.
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
hinomars19
Go Go!
Favorite Actor?: Kitagawa keiko
Favorite Band: Koda Kumi
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: Yui Koike is like a kitten wrapped in cotton wool eating candyfloss. This cannot be disputed. You try, I flip your table (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Re: Best Super Sentai Red

Post by hinomars19 »

Ahhh, my kind of thread :)

Off the top of my head, favourite reds would be;
Ninja Red (Kakuranger)
Gao Red (Gao Ranger)
Bouken Red (Boukenger)

Red's I really dislike;
Abbare Red (abba ranger)
ToQ1 (ToQger)
Akanijna (ninninja)

Red's who I felt were less interesting than the other members;
Ginga Red (gingaman)
Time Red (time ranger)
Red Hawk (jetman)

Red's who annoyed me but eventually earned my respect;
Gosei Red (Goseiger)
Geki Red (Gekiranger)
Go-On Red (GO-Onger)

Honourable mentions;
The second Vul Eagle (sun Vulcan)-That man saved the show :)
Red Falcon (Liveman) I love Liveman as a whole, no 1 element really stands on it's own. Daisuke Shima is a legend though, he plays good roles when he has them, I just can't say Red Falcon stands out, per se (not in a bad way, though!)
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

Oh man, I don't want to come in and be that guy this early, but I've never seen a way to make any of the reds "the best" when compared to others. It's a very polarizing character in every series, and it's a matter of how well he fits into his group, and does his personality match (or clash) with the group.

Of the shows that I've seen, only one Red has stuck out as absolutely atrocious: Takaharu. Like Takenoko mentioned in his post, he has no reason why he should be placed atop a pedestal for the others. His voice is annoying, he's dumb as a brick in most cases, and he's just irritating as hell in almost every single episode.

No other Red has really gotten a bad grade from me. Yes, there were characters who were too weak such as Ryu from Jetman, Alata from Goseiger, and Ryo from Dairanger. These guys weren't weak as in they were pushovers, they just didn't seem to really lead the team that much, and wound up being a shadow to a character with much more presence, such as Gai (Black), Eri (Pink), and Daigo (Green), respectively.

Conversely, I think only one Red seemed too elevated: Hiromu from Go-Busters. I liked that series a lot, but through most of the series, Hiromu seemed really entitled, for lack of a better word. He was way better towards the end of the series, and his relation with Jin was one of the best parts of the series.

All the others that I've seen have been an extremely good fit for the series. Mind you, that's only four Reds after removing the others listed above. Takeru from Shinkenger was phenomenal. That was the first series I watched and was utterly amazed at how good that series was. He gelled extremely well with the characters and actors in the show, and in my opinion, the show was great because of the relationships between the characters. Marvelous was a badass, and he has to be with that name. His attitude was great, he walked with the "I give no shits" swagger that was necessary for that role, and he did what makes a character great in my eyes: I never thought, "That's a good actor", I thought, "That's an awesome character."
To get controversial, I also thought Daigo and Right were very good characters in their respective series as well. While both were written to be "better than the rest" characters, they still managed to make the rest of the team extremely important and part of the story. When I see "Kyoryuger" or "Toqger", I think of the entire team, not just Daigo and Right. In that sense, they were great characters.

Again, I think it's a difficult role no matter what the series is, and it will always be a major challenge to have that character fit into the group. It seems like newer series are pushing for the Red to be singled out, while the others serve as a supporting cast. Maybe that's for the message sent to the kids, or maybe they're just getting lazy, who knows? Either way, if they continue on this trend, it will be less and less common for a Red to be easily likable, as the character will be written in a way that makes him better than the others. Good actors may be able to pull it off, but we'll see. Even if we look into the future two weeks from now at Zyuohger, the Red is the only human. The series hasn't started and he's already singled out. Still, he could wind up being another of the "greats" over the next year.

Now a side note: Sosuke has been the only Red (so far) that has kept me from watching a series. When I caught up to the current show during Toqger, I went back to see Go-Onger. He was so irritating that I still haven't seen past episode 3.
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

DekaRed - A real fireball red.
MagiRed - An adorable cheeky brat, who spurred on his siblings
BoukenRed - Chief
GekiRed - The way he talked was annoying, but I appreciated his jungle boy style. I think the serious stuff about his past helps with that.
Go-On Red - Sousuke seems like a goof off, but that was perfect for Go-Onger. He really seemed to care for his fellow members, even if he wasn't leaderly.
ShinkenRed - He played his part well
GoseiRed - Goseiger wasn't my favorite series, but Alata definitely encouraged his team along.
GokaiRed - Captain Marvelous. I thought he was decent, since he had the backstory with AkaRed. And was a fun guy in general.
Red Buster - A real key player in the tight-knit story. Yeah, he's afraid of chickens, but everything else was superb.
KyouryuuRed - I thought Daigo was a goof off too, but he pulled through for his team when they needed him. So he was fine.
TOQ 1 - Right was okay, I guess? I felt he was a little less developed than some of his teammates.
Akaninger - Given the Chosen One status, but perhaps undeservedly so.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Gotta be MagiRed for me. The Magiranger cast in generally was one of the best, most sentai-like teams ever, and everyone had a relationship with everyone else. It was honestly a nice role reversal as well, because the older brother was more of the support/brute strength character while the youngest was the Red. But that just meant that Green was more grounded and realistic while Red was more idealistic, which makes sense based on age.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

GokaiRed was just the best red ever. Extremely good leader, confident and solid character, and fun to watch.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

How come this poll doesn't have any 80s Reds? :o
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Ooooh this is a tooooough call for me, which is why I'm glad the pool gives me the chance to pick form 5. There were so many Reds, (stories and performances) that I just loved so much to call them my favorites. Depending, on the story, you need a few things for a good red ranger. You either need the new comer feeling his way into an established team, or the confident almost dad like leader who the others can turn to and trust that he'd lead them... (would still not mind a female leader through out the series but that's neither here nor there). And I feel that's what we get with my five favorite Reds, as well as just fun characters that I enjoyed watching.

In Chronologic Order, my faves are:

DekaRed

GekiRed

ShinkenRed

GokaiRed

KyoryuuRed

I can both yammer on for ages bout all these 5 for hours, my words are not with me today.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Red Hawk is the best. Great leader, excellent fighter, not an idiot.

Return to “Sentai”