Cause there's like a lot of other Sentai too
Jehal
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Ryuki
Alignment: Neutral Good

The worst sentai you've seen?

Post by Jehal »

Recently Shuriken Sentai Ninninger ended, and with very little positive feedback. I think a lot of people consider it to be the worst sentai they've seen, and I got to wondering; What do people think is the worst Sentai?
If your answer is Ninninger, then the question is instead "What did you think was the worst sentai before Ninninger?"

I didn't watch Ninninger because of the negative feedback. Out of all of the ones that I've seen, the one that I enjoyed the least was actually Zyuranger. Every episodes felt very much the same to me, expect ones where Burai was the focus. I eventually looked up an episode guide and just started skipping over episodes that sounded unimportant, and I feel like I didn't really miss anything. Sure, not every episode needs to advance the overall plot, but some of the episodes were just bad in the end. I'm pretty sure a lot of the Power Rangers versions of those episodes may have been done a lot better.

I don't dislike the Zyurangers themselves, and I enjoyed Bandora more than Rita as a villain, but the good points of the show didn't really sell the whole thing to me as a series I'd recommend to others.

Honorable mention to Kou for making me quit Dairanger.
Completed Series

Rider: From Kuuga to Drive, and Ex-Aid to Zi-O
Next Up: Ghost

Sentai: Zyuranger, Kakuranger, From Dekaranger to ToQGer, and Kyuuranger to Ryusoulger
Next Up: Ninninger
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: The worst sentai you've seen?

Post by Catastrophe »

Worst is a tough word. There has never really been a show I've hated and dropped.

Ohranger was a bit of a slog at times. Probably one I would not recommend to others at all.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

For a long time, I really did not care, in the least about Goseigers. None of the characters really kept my attention, it felt like less effort was put in it, and they cycled through enemy groups a bit quickly for my taste, though the reveal at the end made up a but for the villain point it still wasn't the fun of a watch.

I, and I realize I'm in a minority here... I hate Go-buster. The characters, save for Beet and Stag Buster, and Escape, annoy me or makes my skin crawl. It kept trying to push how super awesome and threatening of an enemy Enter is but I wasn't curious bout him or his goals. And they introduce a character issue or arc for one of the characters I cared the most for, and then just left all the characters I liked twisted in the digital wind, despite constantly giving writing hints of how they would solve everything. I get that that might be what people find appealing about it, the idea that you can't solve every problem in life but you keep going on, the way it came across to me, was that they planed to solve the characters problems, but decides '...eeeeh naaaaaah' two or three episodes before hand despite the build up and hints. I, REALLY, do not like Go-buster. I don't like their robot teammates and their lack of use in most of the series. I really don't like the giant monster approach as the bases that then had the monster of the week put on them as a kind of armor, looked so alike that I was baffled when in one episode they had so much trouble against one of them. I like Beet Buster, and I liked that Stag Buster was as close as a children's show will get to Bender from Futurama. And Escape seemed like an interesting way to branch off from the enemy commander style of Enter. But two characters and one villain, cannot keep a show afloat, when the majority of the rest of the cast ranges from tolerable to makes me want to punch my screen from seeing their faces. Especially when their arcs feel like they were re-written to a more dark ending in the last minute. WOW I talked more bout why I don't like Go-busters more than I expected, sorry.

... I should finish Ninngers at some point :/
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray

Post by xiiliea »

Gaoranger: Basically just a Ninninger. Full of mecha combinations, but just nothing interesting in the story. Plot advancement was basically changing the villain boss 2 times. Mentor of the Gaorangers was useless and served no purpose.
Goseiger: Like Gaoranger but instead of changing the villain leader, they just changed the villain group. Whole series was just filler episodes.
Ninninger: Everyone knows lol.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Kogashi wrote:I, and I realize I'm in a minority here... I hate Go-buster. /
I'm with you. I can appreciate that they tried to be different, but in the end I only kept watching for Jin and J.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

I hated Go-Buster at first because of the Engrish and Power Rangers references, but Enter and Escape really made the show for me. It's so rare a villain wins, and Enter would have taken over the world with ease had he not been forced to obey Messiah. In the end, the show's cheesiness made it rather endearing. And I loved Goseiger... and not just because Alata and the girls were all scrumptious *ahem*... The enemy changes fit in with their mission far better than a single enemy would have. There were also a lot of little things throughout that made the show quite enjoyable for me.

Worst Series (Showa): Maskman - I absolutely loathed this show and had to force my way throught the entire serie. Okilampa was the only cool character and he only had two lines (one of which was gobbling like a turkey) he usedd every episode. Of the villains, only one was vaguely interesting, and he wasa lacky to the end. The entire cast was apallling, the writing made Ninninger look like a masterpiece, and Yellow Mask gave ear-splitting shries every single battle because she couldn't fight worth crap despite being a "ninja". And the use of looped or reversed footage was at an all-time high to the point it looked like a five-year old edited it. Same with the "special effects", which were way overdone. Using toys for some of the shots only added to the frustration. I only went past the first ep because it's a personal goal to watch all of Super Sentai and Kamen Rider. Oh, and I know helmet earrings were a recurring thing, but they just looked terrible on Yellow and Pink. At least in Goranger, they were mini explosives.

Worst Series (Heisei): I didn't think the show was horrible, but I'll have to default to it simply because I've seen nothing prior to Megaranger (the first Sentai I watched all of an still among my favourites. My reasoning is almost entirely Starninja, which was one of the worst gimmicks I've ever seen. To be fair, there's worse writing out there *coughHibikicough* and I would rather watch the entire season ten times through nonstop with no sleep and no bathroom breaks than to rewatch a single episode of Maskman. But of the Heisei shows I haven't watched yet, I'm betting Go-Onger will be my nemesis. The whole talking cars thing really made me cringe when they appeared in Gokaiger, and Christmas World... need I even say more???

On a sort of side note as to why I won't add Power Rangers to the list:

Someone inflicted me with a scene from the Christmas episode of the PR ripoff of Kyuuryuu. Once I got over the giant batteries on their costumes (umm, really, don't mess with the costumes if you're gonna copy a series), I had to deal with dialogue. One ranger was so obsessed with Christmas that literally every single line he spoke (and he spoke the most lines) had something to do with Christmas trees or presents or Santa Clause... I thought Power Rangers in Space proved PR could have good witing and still be popular (although let's admit it, Astronema was the real reason we all watched...)! One cannot hate Ninninger after two minutes of that clip. I would put that show almost on par with Maskman for being terrible, but PowerRangers overall just isn't my thing (except Astronema and the first two post-Zordon series, one of which also featured Astronema) because it tries too hard to pander to toddlers and rarely holds a candle to the Sentai it's based upon. I'm not against PR as much as I am disappointed in it. You can't raise the bar like PRiS did and then revert to Dora/Diego quality writing and exect a Sentai fan to stay interested.

Hmm... although Dora and Diego becoming part of an animated sentai could be kinda cool, now that think of it... What do YOU think? *awkward silence and creepy stare*
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Monsoon
Gao
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: HOTS
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Monsoon »

I've only seen the first two episodes and their appearance in the vs. Carranger movie, but I don't like Ohranger much at all. The characters weren't distinct, the conflict was boring, and the villains weren't very interesting (a shame, because I think most of the villain groups in 90s Super Sentai are really fun). They also have Moai statue and Arahabaki statue mecha, which are two of the most boring mecha ever. They even have to be towed by mecha that can actually walk!
Can't Stop the Monsoon - a blog mostly about video games, now featuring occasional Super Sentai reviews! Latest tokusatsu piece is my top ten Super Sentai series.

Return to “Sentai”