Sentai dubbed in English in Southeast Asia

Cause there's like a lot of other Sentai too
Vigilantwiseguy
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Sentai dubbed in English in Southeast Asia

Post by Vigilantwiseguy »

Yo everyone! I was reading somewhere that a bunch of older sentai shows (Bioman sticks out in my mind) were dubbed in English in Southeast Asia in like the 80's and early 90's. Anyone ever viewed these? Is the dubbing good? Do the english voice actors have American or British accents, or maybe even something else? So many questions, I must know!
LoneStarRanger
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Zyu/Dai/Akiba
2nd Favorite Series: OOO/Gokai/U7X

Re: Sentai dubbed in English in Southeast Asia

Post by LoneStarRanger »

I've seen the Bioman dub, but I can't honestly compare as far as dub accuracy and accent. All I know is the episode titles and names for some of the characters and weapondry (not counting the Bioman team's civilian names) were different. Sorry I couldn't be more help. As far as English sentai dubs are concerned, I know that Bioman was the only "official" overdub that was done. All the rest have been made as Power Rangers-style ports (There was that Dynaman dub, but I don't think that really counts in this matter.)
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

I have seen some Maylay. dubbed English Ultraman movies, and have some, and lets just say it is sometimes very difficult to understand what they are saying. Their accent is very thick, it's obvious ENglish is a second language to them. The cost in dubbing these is low budget to say the least, they have few VA's dubbin it leaving the kids with funny sounding adult voices; Crowds lack cheer. But if you ask me still better then English dubbing done in America. :roll:

I would be curious to see how other Asian dubbs would turn out especially in the Sentai series.
monritche
Imouto Rider Club
Imouto Rider Club
Favorite series: KS7, Ultraman, KR
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai Series
Dreamy: Yumi Sugimoto
Favorite Band: Orange Range
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: mouse-clicking

Post by monritche »

Well for one, yeah it was dubbed here in the Philippines and as a kid, that was one of my early encounters to toku. Hmmm, as far dubbing goes it's easy to comprehend for a kid who's English is just his second language. About accents, well it doesn't sound Asian, American or Brittish and as I said it's comprehensible enough to understand the story. Why not see some clips from the web?
Dragg
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Gym!

Post by Dragg »

DrowningFishy wrote:I would be curious to see how other Asian dubbs would turn out especially in the Sentai series.
My friend that grew up in the Philippines said that Maskman was the first and one of the best dubbed Sentai they got there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpNfhMOdFEc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0zADsectow
monritche
Imouto Rider Club
Imouto Rider Club
Favorite series: KS7, Ultraman, KR
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai Series
Dreamy: Yumi Sugimoto
Favorite Band: Orange Range
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: mouse-clicking

Post by monritche »

^It's actually the Third Sentai dubbed here in the Philippines. From the recounts of my older cousins, they said that Goranger (locally retitled as Staranger) was aired first in the 80's here, though nobody remembers how the good the dubbing was. The 2nd Sentai shown and dubbed in English was Bioman. It's iconic for children born or grew in the 80's. As for the quality, I'd say that the translation and dubbing gets the message across well. The third Sentai shown here, was Maskman. I agree with you there, that it's the best locally dubbed sentai out there. They even took the effort of dubbing the song in Filipino language. However, just to stay on topic with thread's title, Maskman wasn't dubbed in English but in Filipino (Philippines' native language).

Is it ok to share the link here for the English Dubbed Bioman? I have one actually.

Return to “Sentai”