Cause there's like a lot of other Sentai too
LastLine
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Gimme some Umeko!

What to watch next?

Post by LastLine »

Hey all,

I've recently got back into my Sentai after a considerable break (the last one I watched was Magiranger as it was airing, and Deka before that) and Gokaiger's got me hooked again.

Can anyone make a good suggestion for what to watch while I wait for more episodes to air? What's your favourite and why :?: :D
Gokaifan
Go Go!
Favorite series: gokaiger
Dreamy: Doc
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Japan
Quote: Never go to bed angry, stay awake and plot your revenge.

I fight evil wherever it may be... except in dark, scary places.

Re: What to watch next?

Post by Gokaifan »

I started with Magiranger (but you've already seen that one). Near the end of the series I found out Goseiger was airing. I think it was okay, though lots of other people don't really seem to like Goseiger. I started watching Shinkenger recently. That's a very nice season. (Yet I keep forgetting to continue watching it.)
I shouldn't watch Go-onger, it's very childish. I only watched the first episode, but I didn't like it at all. If I want to see talking mecha's, I'll just watch a movie like cars or something (no offense to the people that liked Go-Onger)
poelske1
Adventure
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Ryuki
Favorite Actor?: Ryuki Takahashi
Favorite Band: Any J-Pop band
My boom: Dragons and stuff

Post by poelske1 »

I'd suggest Boukenger and Gekiranger, those are 2 sentai's I really liked ^^.
Wachted: KR ryuki, 555, Hibiki, kabuto, kiva, decade, W
SS: Dekaranger, Magiranger, Boukenger, Gekiranger, Go-Onger, Shinkenger,

Watching: KR: Blade, OOO
SS: Gokaiger
Lyra
Go Go!
Favorite series: OOO, Bouken, Go-bus
2nd Favorite Series: Gao, Geki, Gokai
Dreamy: Marvelous, Long
Favorite Actor?: Kamikawa Takaya
Favorite Band: JAM Project
My boom: Ikemen
Quote: ''Those who dream are human. Those who chase their dreams are Adventurers.''
- Akashi Satoru

Post by Lyra »

I really liked Shinkenger, you should try that ;) it has very nice characters and it's the first toku series in which I like the girls :P (for some strange reason I hate Toku girls) For me, Shinkenger had a very good plot and many funny moments without overdoing it ;)
well, since I've only been watching Toku for a year, Shinkenger is the only Sentai on my 'Completed list'... but currently I'm watching Go-onger. True, it is a bit childish from time to time and it took me a while to get used to it but it never fails to make me smile. If you like crazy and goofy humor, you should definitely give it a change!

hope it helps ;)
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

Almost all of the series between magiranger and gokaigers had good points. If i am not mistaken cronologically it is;

Magiranger (magician concept)
Boukenger (treasure hunting adventurer concept)
Gekiranger (beast-especially big cats style martial arts concept)
Go-Onger (intelligent car-vehicle concept)
Shinkenger (samurai concept)
Goseiger (angel concept)
Gokaiger (pirate concept)

For each. Boukenger and shinkenger are the more serious series among these but both gekiranger and go-onger gets serious after half way (at least thats what I think). You don't feel same tension from goseiger its a little in-between but it has an interesting plot. Watch movies and vs movies of each series if possible first to get a better idea of series before starting them. Watching first couple of episodes maybe mis-leading especially in the case of geki ranger, go-onger and goseigers.

My personal order would be though shinkenger, gekiranger, boukenger, goseiger and lastly go-onger.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

From what TV-Nihon has subbed, I'd recommend:

DaiRanger (kick-butt martial art theme, music is excellent, acting is really well-done and there's a really cool guy in ep26+)
MegaRanger (Sentai version of the last starfighter :P)
GekiRanger ( I think the last 10 or so eps were kinda meh but the show's pretty good. Watch it for the villains and Gou, if you do try it)
and, ZyuRanger. (Just 'cause the show's starting to get subbed)
ShuraKido2031
Gao
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Marika Reimon, Mele
Favorite Actor?: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Band: RIDER CHIP, ProjectR
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: SS, KR
Quote: Awaken The Soul, Take The Trump Card Of Fate!

Post by ShuraKido2031 »

From what I've watched and enjoyed, I reccommend maskman, jetman, timeranger, gaoranger, dekaranger, boukenger, gekiranger, and shinkenger.
Gokaiger got me hooked up, too.
Somehow serious and dark series makes me really interested in.
HENSHIN!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cbeHCMWVNA
Spade Ten - Jack - Queen - King - Ace
ROYAL STRAIGHT FLUSH
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

I think it was Timeranger that tipped the scale and brought me into the Sentai fandom. Sure my friend showed me some scenes from Go-Onger but I was to judgemental from LATER power rangers. XD sometimes you have to go more mature before you can turn childish.
LastLine
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Gimme some Umeko!

Post by LastLine »

DrowningFishy wrote:I think it was Timeranger that tipped the scale and brought me into the Sentai fandom. Sure my friend showed me some scenes from Go-Onger but I was to judgemental from LATER power rangers. XD sometimes you have to go more mature before you can turn childish.
I'm of the school that enjoyed Power Rangers Go-Onger adaptation, but I've not watched Go-On to compare yet.

I've settled back to watch Magiranger again, I loved it the first time around and decided a reviewing was in order. It'll give me some time to decide on my next while. I'm getting mixed feelings between Go-Onger and Shinkenger at the minute, both have appeal for different reasons. I love the idea of the Kangi drawing in Shinkenger, but the...I forget the word, but 'talking vehicles' in Go-Onger also amuse me.

I've put Goseiger and Gekiranger on the backburners - something about the footage? Just doesn't look...right. It'll grow on me I'm sure.

Boukenger's being saved for post Gokaiger, let's have the current anniversary done with first ;-)
09MurphyM
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by 09MurphyM »

I would suggest Gokaiger, especially if you're a fan of the other sentai shows like Shinkenger and Goseiger.
HIDragonstar
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Garo, Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Fuuma no Kojiro
Dreamy: Kaoru, Kotoha,Wakana
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by HIDragonstar »

I would suggest a revisit to Magiranger since it was one of the better ones in my opinion.

Boukenger, and Gekiranger I found enjoyable and would suggest watching them. They had a very good balance between something enjoyable for kids and enjoyable for adults also. I still get a chilll watching the last episode of Gekiranger, by only watching the opening. Its for reasons if you watch the show from the beginning, skipping to it doesn't mean anything. Just a subtle wording, and culmination of a good series. Boukenger starts off a bit 'off', but as they start getting things together really good after they introduce most of the Negatives. Its always nice to see your opponents backstab and fight each other.

I loved Shinkenger, but too me, it brought up the bar of Sentai to a very high level. Much more adult like, at the same time enjoyable by the kids. There is a short 'cross over' with Kamen Rider Decade, and watching those episodes of Decade are helpful. Still, I'm having trouble enjoying the later sentai because it raised the 'bar' for Sentai to me almost to the level of the recent Kamen Riders. So save it a bit later, its kinda like cooking the most delicious meal you had ever had, only to find out you can't just get the recipe right again.

I wasn't a big fan of Go-onger, mostly because I found the show a bit too childish for my liking, (yes I know its for kids...) I'll probably give it another chance since one of my female friends insists that I give it another chance.

Goseiger didn't impress me either, then again it was coming off of the 'high' that I had from Shinkenger and had that feeling from all the Sentai after it.
People say that the real world isn't black or white, its shades of gray. I prefer to think its a rainbow spectrum, when any color is dark enough, its black, when any color is light enough, its white. Yet, there is a spectrum of cultures and values.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

HIDragonstar wrote:Boukenger, and Gekiranger I found enjoyable and would suggest watching them. They had a very good balance between something enjoyable for kids and enjoyable for adults also.
I wouldn't say that about Gekiranger. The ratings for Geki were quite low when it aired because little kids weren't too interested in the Hong Kong Kung Fu movie theme. Adults loved it but kids were indifferent. The low ratings prompted Toei to spend more time on pre-production for Go-Onger so that it would appeal more to kids. Many adults disliked Go-Onger but kids ate it up and toy sales reflected this.

A lot of this is personal preference but most can agree that Goseiger was mediocre. It is a fun watch but when you look back on it, nothing will impress you.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

My first series I fully watched was Gekiranger. Definite Watch.

Followed by Shinkenger then Dekaranger.

I do plan on watching Boukenger and Go-Onger I just haven't wanted to.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

A heads-up if you're going to watch Goseiger: The whole thing about the rangers being angels? Never really used. There's a piece of background music with some really beautiful choral vocals and there's a little angelic imagery throughout the show, but outside of that the whole "Gosei Angels" thing is just insistent terminology.
And as other people have warned, the writing isn't very good.

And while I think this thread has enough gushing about Shinkenger as-is, I would like to mention that I've watched it three times through, and I don't regret a second of it. I almost want to raise my kids (Assuming I ever have any.) bi-lingual based solely on the fact that it would mean I could watch it with them. I'm with HIDragonstar, it very well may have raised the bar on what a Sentai can be.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

another thing about the goseiger: the characters are BORING. the only two or three characters i liked were Datas Nozomu and GoseiKnight. It was painful for me to watch any of the episodes centered on any of the main 5. Even so, the mechas were pretty cool 8)

Return to “Sentai”