Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ultraman Towards the Future

Post by takenoko »

Did anyone else watch this series besides me? I remember watching it in the 90s when I was a young impressionable lad. I remember enjoying the quirky English accents. Also, it had an Asian guy as a star, wow!

Sure, it was a guy in a rubber suit beating rubber monsters, but it was fun stuff. It also had some decent music, I remember recording one of the victory songs after they beat a major monster on a tape for playing on my tape player. Remember tapes?!

Anyway, I looked on ebay out of curiosity to see what it went for, and the tapes are kind of expensive

I also remember the SNES game. Seems to use the same engine for the games that Arino played, but a lot more basic.
chubbysentaihero
Why are we all 15?
Why are we all 15?
Favorite series: Flashman
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Ki Ranger
Favorite Actor?: Daita Ooiwa
Favorite Band: Coheed and Cambria
My boom: Yogurt
Quote: Boukenger! Boukenger!! Boukenger!!!

Re: Ultraman Towards the Future

Post by chubbysentaihero »

What country, you saw the series sir? I saw the original Ultraman back in the late 80's in Puerto Rico along with mazinger Z, good times, good times. [Didn't knew they were japaneze, back then everyone looked Terran to me and if i took the main road i could reach any place on Earth, lol, i know.]
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I saw it in the 90s in the United States. I believe it was made in Australia though. The main character was Japanese, but almost everyone else was white
gekisou
Favorite series: Yuushya Oh Gaogaigar
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kuuga
Dreamy: Luka Milfey
Favorite Actor?: Kimura Takuya
Favorite Band: SMAP
My boom: Onion Rings
Quote: I don't break rules. I bend 'em... a lot!

Post by gekisou »

Yeah, remembered that. It was otherwise known as Ultraman Great in Japan. And since it was made in Australia, they used a few Aussie concepts to make the series. Unfortunately, it doesn't really translate well in Silver Giant storylines and the suit was wierd (spandex I think).
Oddly enough, the actor who plays Jack Shindo wasn't Japanese (how they expected him to pull that off was unknown) and was played by a Caucasian.
He acted in a few Aussie Indie films and then vanished into obscurity after Ultraman. Sad, cos he WAS a decent actor.
俺のこの手が光って唸る。お前を倒せと輝き叫ぶ。 シャイニング・フィンガー!!!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Looks like he was played by Dore Krause. Was he really completely white? He looks like he could be part Asian
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Post by Battra »

I remember seeing this on Aol video, it was a interesting watching & was impressed by some of the darker tones to the series. The acting in some of the episodes wasn't all that great but most of the monster's were certainly impressive looking.
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!
monritche
Imouto Rider Club
Imouto Rider Club
Favorite series: KS7, Ultraman, KR
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai Series
Dreamy: Yumi Sugimoto
Favorite Band: Orange Range
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: mouse-clicking

Post by monritche »

Saw this series on VHS when I was eight. I thought then was, cool a new Ultraman (referring to the silky sheene of the spandex and triangular color-timer). Wasn't the main villain always cracks the crust and pulls everything it touches?
gekisou
Favorite series: Yuushya Oh Gaogaigar
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kuuga
Dreamy: Luka Milfey
Favorite Actor?: Kimura Takuya
Favorite Band: SMAP
My boom: Onion Rings
Quote: I don't break rules. I bend 'em... a lot!

Post by gekisou »

takenoko wrote:Looks like he was played by Dore Krause. Was he really completely white? He looks like he could be part Asian
Yeah. Fairly sure he is. Dang, can't find anything else he did since Ultraman G...
俺のこの手が光って唸る。お前を倒せと輝き叫ぶ。 シャイニング・フィンガー!!!
Masked Rider
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Shinkenyellow
Favorite Actor?: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Band: Ayumi Hamasaki
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Shadow Kick!!!

Post by Masked Rider »

I remember watching that when it aired on Saturday mornings around 10:00am. I was initially happy to see an Ultraman series on TV once again since I haven't seen one since the old school Ultraman (The First). And I didn't catch Ultraseven when TBS aired it. But I was a bit turned off by an Australian cast as opposed to a full Japanese cast. I just felt it was radically different.

I watched a few episodes but was rather confused. Was it canon with the previous shows? Would any of the Ultra brothers make appearances as they did with Ultraman Ace and Ultraman Taro? After a few more episodes, I pretty much dropped it from my list of shows to watch.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I doubt it. Apparently the continuity tries to say that this Ultraman is the same as the first Ultraman

Doesn't seem like it did well in Japan either. There's no DVD releases for it and I very rarely hear about an Ultraman G
LonelySoldier
Gabu
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Ryukendo
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: AKB48
Quote: Being forgotten is much more painful than being hated...

Post by LonelySoldier »

So far I only know two 'non-japan' Ultraman series...

the first one is called "Ultraman"... The main actor is Kane Kosugi, also known as Jiraiya from Kakuranger,
the last one is called "Ultraman Great" (looks like it's what gekisou called "Ultraman G")
What I've learned from watching Kamen Rider OOO :
Don't be greedy, except for Bandai's stuff...
Deka_Hero
Humongous
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Quote: I DEMAND THINGS TO BE AWESOME! - Michel Bay

Post by Deka_Hero »

There have been 4 Co-Producions made outside Japan:

The 6 Ultra Brothers vs. the Monster Army (Thailand/1979) - It was a team-up movie with Ultraman, Zoffy, Ultra Seven, Jack, Ace and Taro.

The Adventure Begins (USA/1987) - A Movie with 3 kitbashed Ultra's (The main was Ultra Seven/Joe, another was Ultraman/King and the last was Ultragirl Amia minus the cape).

Toward the Future (Australia/1992) - A 13 episode series known as "Ultraman Great" in japan, tenth overall and first Heisei Series. Has a Comic series that act's as a continuation (of witch i have a few issues of BTW).

Ultraman: The Ultimate Hero (USA/1995) - A 13 episode series known as "Ultraman Powered" in Japan. Never aired in the US and is considered the worst ultra series to date.
teku
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz, Kabuto
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INFP Healer

Post by teku »

Here, the series was entitled Ultraman Towards the Future (no - or :).

The show was aired in Malaysia somewhere in mid 90s on TV1. That was a great series but it has lesser episodes from Ace, Jack or Taro (which was aired in the same period on TV3). I remember there are 2 movies (? or long episode) besides the main series, showing Ultraman Great having difficulties dealing with very huge monsters, but at last was able to defeat them. No fellow Ultras came to help but, it was still entertaining.

I think this series has successfully 'personified' huge, very tall, sturdy Ultra being thanks to the camera angle, sound effects, sandy-yellowish buildings & backdrops etc... It's better than Ace or Jack. The huge ultra being looks more realistic...

Pray for TV N to sub'em all?
jdrake66
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Post by jdrake66 »

Dore Krause is half Eastern European (either Ukrainian or Czech, can't remember) and half Japanese (on his mother's side.) I met him in NYC at a convention about 14 years ago. There was an interview with him in G-Fan #88, which I never picked up.

He was very much like his screen role, extremely easy going and patient.

He told me that his hair grew like crazy and they needed to do his hair every single day, and it tended to get tussled very easily.

Dore also said he sometimes still talks with Gia Carides but no one else from the show. Ralph Cotterill who played Arthur Grant kept forgetting his real name and just called him Shindo all the time.

He also told me he left the acting business to live with his girlfriend, he was pretty cagey about her and never mentioned who she was or what she did.

Lastly he said he said he was offered a role as the lead of a TV series based on The Crow, he said he turned it down. Mark Dascascos (he's the new chairman on Iron Chef America) took it.

Update: I looked in the G-Fan interview which was current as of last year (2009) and Dore is living happily in California and is involved in the wine business.
Last edited by jdrake66 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Cool, mystery solved. Thanks Jdrake for the info

Return to “Ultraman”