Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Stats about shows

Post by takenoko »

http://www.wolfinspace.com/wiki/Tensou_ ... Chronology
http://www.wolfinspace.com/wiki/Kaizoku ... Chronology
Goseiger had more viewers than Gokaiger. Bizarre right? 5.4% average for Goseiger while Gokaiger had just 5%.

http://www.wolfinspace.com/wiki/Samurai ... Chronology
Shinkenger's lowest episode was 44, the one where they had that awesome reveal. What? Kids don't know from good, clearly.

http://www.wolfinspace.com/wiki/Kamen_R ... Chronology
W's lowest episode was the second part of the two parter, after that long winter break with the movie inbetween. Just because you do a two-parter, doesn't mean people will tune in to see how it turns out, apparently.
MarcosPMA
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Ahim
Favorite Actor?: Masaki Suda
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Penguins :3
Quote: Sekia wo sore o Ai to Yubun da ze!

Re: Stats about shows

Post by MarcosPMA »

I guess it's also interesting to note that the average viewership of all those shows was higher than the viewership of the last few episodes. I guess you can attribute that to losing the more casual viewers/people who watch it because it's the new thing and then forget about it after a few episodes.
SPACE KITA!!!!!!!!!
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

For what i know about ratings, you could blame gokaiger having lower ratings to goseiger. After goseiger(Goseiger isn't bad, but...) many regular viewers could stop watching.
kiyominai
7X
Quote: おばあちゃんが言っていた「世の中で覚えておかなければならない名前はただ一つ。天の道を往き、総てを司る男……天道総司」

Post by kiyominai »

Episode 44 of Shinkenger aired 2 days after the New Year's, the first Sunday of the New Year's, which is what could explain the lowest ratings.

I was there around that time, and a lot of kids were still visiting shrines, etc.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

So I received an e-mail from sato307 who created some graphs based on the viewer numbers. They cover from Decade to Fourze I believe. Check them out!

I smoothed the ratings with a simple low-pass filter. (Don't ask, I'm normal like that.) The results, a graph displaying original ratings (dots) and smoothed ones (lines) over episodes, are attached to this e-mail.

Of course, the sample is ridiculously small, the "fit" thus highly questionable, and learning something sensible from mindless number crunching a futile endeavor.

Still, I'm intrigued by apparent differences between riders. The New Year's slump you mentioned seems to happen at a critical time for a run (ep.s 13-17), and after holidays some viewers won't come back to watch the show. Only KR W was able to rebound strongly. Decade started airing in January so the link between episode number and calendar date deviates from the other three seasons -- it didn't even reach New Years. Also, axing Decade after only 31 episodes might have had more to do with bad merchandise sales than low viewer ratings? I'm a bit sad to see Fourze being the clear underachiever of the four seasons. The setup didn't seem to click with the audience right from the beginning. And Wizard is not doing better at the moment. On the other hand, I like KR W coming out on top most of the time XD
Thanks to connecting ratings with calendar dates it is now easier to hallucinate on "common patterns" during a season's run. Consider KR W, OOO and Fourze, the shows running September to August. After some "honey moon" period (sparkly new KR, story, outfit, merch) lasting about eight to ten episodes things get rough by November/December with ratings failing to attain initial levels. In the new year there seems to be a bit of a recovery peaking in March/April (sakura, anyone?/new Japanese school year?). This is not true for OOO (yet visible for Decade too), but may easily be "explained" by a singular event -- Tohoku earthquake and its repercussions. Finally, we have the summer slump during school holidays (again, also for Decade).

I feel like one of those guys on TV spilling his shit about why the Dow Jones Industrial lost a third of its value back in '08. Welcome to KR ratings alchemy -- free of facts, wisdom and scientific foundation. But maybe something to play with over coffee break?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Seasonality aside, these ratings match the general US landscape. US TV viewership of course has been in a general decline over the last 5 years, while at the same time more stations are fighting over those moderately fewer viewers, which has caused viewership shares to nosedive. This has impacted everything from American Idol to football to genre shows, so nothing is left untouched.

Given the reasons for this decline - mainly that there's more to do on the Internet - I don't see why Japan would be spared from a similar decline. In which case these numbers aren't a statement on whether Japanese viewers have suddenly taken a disliking towards Sentai/Rider, but that like everyone else they're watching less TV in favor of other activities.
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

Yeah. It's most likely the case of DVR's than actual dislike from the series. In the end, the advertisements pay for the show you watch. People almost no longer bother watching anything live anymore. It be interesting to see DVD/BR sales for the shows. I love Fourze overall. But the whole Glee setup and lack of useful villains still annoyed me to the end.
NeonZ
Adventure

Post by NeonZ »

Also, axing Decade after only 31 episodes might have had more to do with bad merchandise sales than low viewer ratings?
Just leaving a note... Decade wasn't "axed". It was known that the show would have around 30 episodes since almost the beginning, from an interview with Tsukasa's actor where he accidentally spilled it. That's even mentioned in the wiki page...
In an interview in the March 2009 issue of Kindai Magazine, Masahiro Inoue stated that Decade was slated as having only 30 episodes.
(Note that "March" issue pretty much means February's issue as far as Japanese magazines go, so this interview was coming out right after the show started)

Return to “Other Heroes”