Go Go!
Favorite series: Ultraseven
2nd Favorite Series: Sailor Moon
Dreamy: Gosei Blue
Favorite Actor?: Ito Hideaki
Favorite Band: None right now

Tokusatsu and marketing

Post by mantis »

Another member posted about Ultraman Orb and I figured I would picky back off the idea with my own - Is anyone else tired of the Tokusatsu genre borrowing off past versions or just making variations? What I mean is I would much rather see a show with newer monsters or bringing back lesser known or less used monsters - how many times can we see Birdon? I mean really. If they want to see merchandise sales then bring in the old and quit re-leasing the same toys. I am a little tired of the toku genre toying with characters switching forms. It seems very forced and obviously used as a marketing gimmick. I like The World in Zyuohger but I think it is a little overkill coupled with Yamato's ability to turn into an eagle and gorilla along with the others' powered-up forms and they haven't even gotten their secondary forms!

Maybe I am being picky. What are your thoughts?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Tokusatsu and marketing

Post by Catastrophe »

I hate when the writing kills the story in favour of toy commercial format. Like the first 12 or so episodes of Ghost and to a lesser extend Driver kind of getting all collectables shown in quick succession.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

It's sort of lame how everything needs to capitalize on nostalgia factor. It's like a half assed attempt at sequelization without even giving you a story to justify it.

"Remember these characters/stories you like? Buy some Rider Eyecon toys that will remind you of them." In some way, this is all Decade's fault. Onore!
Jehal
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Ryuki
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Jehal »

takenoko wrote:It's sort of lame how everything needs to capitalize on nostalgia factor. It's like a half assed attempt at sequelization without even giving you a story to justify it.

"Remember these characters/stories you like? Buy some Rider Eyecon toys that will remind you of them." In some way, this is all Decade's fault. Onore!
I get that you're making a joke but that example could literally be Decade's fault.
Completed Series

Rider: From Kuuga to Drive, and Ex-Aid to Zi-O
Next Up: Ghost

Sentai: Zyuranger, Kakuranger, From Dekaranger to ToQGer, and Kyuuranger to Ryusoulger
Next Up: Ninninger

Return to “Other Heroes”