What is going on with Toei lately?

It's more than just Kamen Rider and Sentai
knite00
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Re: What is going on with Toei lately?

Post by knite00 »

Not sure about how KyuuRanger going to fare later as the stories still developing. Gaim & Drive didn't start off very well but got a lot nicer as the stories developed.

However, IMOH, think the acting by the KyuRanger's casts are a bit poor. At times, Lucky and Hame are like reading scripts rather than acting. Their expressions looked either fake or over exaggerating. Naaga Rei is all right since he hardly supposed to have any emotions for now. The rest are saved by their costume masks. :P

takenoko wrote:Is Toei in a state of decline? It seems like the last few years has seen a mass exodus of their main staff talent and they've been supplementing their work force with less seasoned staff. And it kind of shows, since the last few Rider and Sentai shows have been mediocre at best when they're not just being straight up terrible. What's going on?

Are they just spreading themselves too thin? They've been hitting hard lately with a bunch of Youtube content as well as direct to DVD stuff. And while a couple years ago, I thought it was great, since that stuff was good. Now, I really hate it, because all that stuff is bad. The Ghost HBV, the Jyuohger Blu-ray episodes, the Ghost episodes, the second Drive Saga spinoff, all the Ex-Aid stuff. The Kyuu Henshin stuff is alright at least. But now we've got mediocre TV series, the movies tend never to be good, and now the direct to video stuff is bad as well. Why?

Was there a shake up? It seems like all the writers and directors are new. Like who's Sugihara Teruaki, the director for the two most recent KyuuRanger episodes? He seems new. Mouri Nobuhiro (Kyuu writer), Komura Junko (Jyu writer), Shimoyama Kento (Ninnin writer),Takahashi Yuya (ex-aid writer), and Fukuda Takurou (ghost writer) were all making their main writer debut in their respective series. And man does it show. Maybe Toei is just a bad place to work?

Aside from Amazons, not much good stuff is coming out of Toei lately. I'm more interested in Amemiya's stuff with Garo lately. I mean, sometimes Garo can be bad too, but they've been pretty strong the last few years in my opinion.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

It's funny, because I'm watching the same shows as you guys and I don't find any of those things you're complaining about, and I'm rewatching the episodes from the previous week during the week-end.
People are always complaining about something anyways.
Personally, I'm enjoying Ex-Aid and Kyuranger, like I did for almost every Toku shows I've watched (which mean from Agito to nowadays and from Jetman to nowaday, except for Carranger, Gingaman and GogoV which I didn't watch).
nanamarfo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ex-Aid
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Yuki Jojima
Favorite Band: RIDER CHIPS
Quote: "My life is burning bright!" -Takeru Tenkuji

Post by nanamarfo »

Mandalori wrote:It's funny, because I'm watching the same shows as you guys and I don't find any of those things you're complaining about, and I'm rewatching the episodes from the previous week during the week-end.
People are always complaining about something anyways.
That is also me, but not for Kyuranger. Only Ex-Aid.
NOMarfo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

nanamarfo wrote:Went into Bikuu, watched 20 minutes and saw things.... I am just not into goth honestly.
LOL. I've never thought of the Garo series as being goth
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I mean, it's dark and broody sure but if you're gonna call that goth then I guess Batman should be shopping at Hot Topic more
nanamarfo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by nanamarfo »

I just think of it like that, with the demons, and magic and all that other stuff.
NOMarfo
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

You realise Goth is a music thing?

Or the eastern Germans that felled the Romans. Neither have much to do with demons and magic.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I'm just imagining a heavy-metal Lord of the Rings saga now and it is AWESOME
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

What you need is goth to boss.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

The problem I have in Super Hero Time 4 recent years is the toy. Bandai tries to sell a lot of toy in some beginning episodes. This is different style when compare with Sentai and Rider in 10 years ago. I can't enjoy the film since they try to put toys to advertise in the film, such as Ghost, Zyuohger did.

In my personal, I don't like the new writers at the moment: Shimoyama Kento, Koumura Junko... Their writing made the series below standard. Why do many old writers leave Toei? Arakawa Naruhisa now only writes movie and special. Kobayashi Yasuko just comeback with old staff and write the net series. In Kyuranger, I don't think Mouri Nobuhiro would be suitable for this place...

Where are Aikawa Shou, Takegami Junki, Inoue Toshiki, Yokote Michiko?
Eric
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Ex-Aid
Dreamy: Poppy Pipopapo
Favorite Actor?: Iijima Hiroki
Favorite Band: something else
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: music, cheese stuff
Quote: "Hello there." -Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Eric »

I didn't know what's going on. I never seen Toei doing like this. Why Bandai sell toys before the premiere of one Sentai or Rider series? That you would probably imagine that...
Discord: Eric the Gaming Guy#2407 | Deviantart | Tumblr

Watching: Zi-O, Saikyou Battle (Miniseries), Tokusatsu GAGAGA (Jdorama)
Completed: Gaim, ToQ, Ghost, Zyuoh, Ex-Aid, Kyuu, Build, Lupin VS Pat
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Again, there is nothing wrong with selling toys. Gaim had a shit tonne of lock seeds but the introduction was spaced out and didn't have an effect on the pacing.

Ex-Aids main issue is that not only were the riders introduced too quickly, there was a new form every episode for the first 10 episodes, but also the fact they use the level system means they get outclassed very quickly. They need to make them interchangeable again like Gaim or OOOs that way they don't fall into irrelevance.
nanamarfo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by nanamarfo »

Oops. Well then horror is not my thing.
NOMarfo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Catastrophe wrote:Again, there is nothing wrong with selling toys. Gaim had a shit tonne of lock seeds but the introduction was spaced out and didn't have an effect on the pacing.
I don't know about that. Gaim felt like they introduced a new fruit/form every episode for the first 6-8. Those were easily the worst episodes. The series turned out to be amazing, but I was pretty skeptical about it in the beginning, mostly because of that.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

But it's more tolerable than what we have now.

The other thing that pisses me off is Drive and Dead Heat. Now they have a mandate for introducing a new form before the powerful form that happens before the final form, further relegating any previous transformations to nothing.

Return to “Other Heroes”