super hero time new time slot

It's more than just Kamen Rider and Sentai
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: super hero time new time slot

Post by Catastrophe »

I'm more surprised by the fact Japan has a market for Sunday morning news shows. Ones that start at 5:50AM especially.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:I honestly don't know. I haven't paid attention to American cartoons in a while outside of My Little Pony, which I just watch through the Internet.
Well the question isn't about American media, it's about Japanese media. Is everything popular there still exclusively on all-audiences broadcast networks like TV-Asahi, or are there high profile, dedicated networks that get first run programming?

If Japan is making the (slow) transition to dedicated networks, this isn't too big of a deal. But if they aren't, and it's just SHT getting jerked around, then that is a bigger concern.
Catastrophe wrote:I'm more surprised by the fact Japan has a market for Sunday morning news shows. Ones that start at 5:50AM especially.
They're popular all over the world. Even with Japan's sheer weirdness, I would have been more surprised if there wasn't a market for them.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote:
takenoko wrote:I honestly don't know. I haven't paid attention to American cartoons in a while outside of My Little Pony, which I just watch through the Internet.
Well the question isn't about American media, it's about Japanese media. Is everything popular there still exclusively on all-audiences broadcast networks like TV-Asahi, or are there high profile, dedicated networks that get first run programming?
Pretty much the former. The major networks have pretty tight control on all the super popular media. Netflix and Hulu are putting out their own original stuff but it's still mostly drama and the lifeblood of Japanese TV is the variety show, which you need popular actors/comedians and huge audiences for. Variety shows get the prime time slots and the most popular (arguably Itte Q) get over 20% of viewers sometimes.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Thanks Luna! That isn't good news for SHT then... :( (Japan needs to have more kids, for the future of Toku!)
Lunagel wrote:Variety shows get the prime time slots and the most popular (arguably Itte Q) get over 20% of viewers sometimes.
Daym! Talk about culturally homogeneous. US shows haven't pulled those kinds of ratings in two decades! (Those would be Seinfeld numbers...)
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

To be fair, ItteQ is fucking hilarious most of the time
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

takenoko wrote:Why is the time slot changing? Is it getting the Friday night time slot of doom? Is Sentai/Kamen Rider doing so poorly that it's getting cancelled at last?
I wouldn't think so; KR's merchandise have been doing really well recently (their Drivers have won the Hit Sales Award nearly every year since Fourze's).
Phoenix512 wrote:At least Heybot would die so there is a bit of good news because of this.
Yay!
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

I think it's because since viewership has been going down lately considering that they air at 7:30 AM & 8:00 AM for Super Sentai & Kamen Rider respectively and little kids sometimes don't have the instincts to wake up early so their solution is air it in a time where kids are up
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

Well, we have the viewership numbers for the current shows right? It'll be interesting to compare them after the time slot move.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Kurokage X wrote:I think it's because since viewership has been going down lately considering that they air at 7:30 AM & 8:00 AM for Super Sentai & Kamen Rider respectively and little kids sometimes don't have the instincts to wake up early so their solution is air it in a time where kids are up
I for one have never known kids that sleep in.Teenagers, sure. But kids are always wired to go at the crack of dawn, much to the chagrin of everyone else.
WoodBetweenWorlds
Go Go!
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger, Kiva
Favorite Band: Relient K
My boom: Big Hero 6
Quote: "So, physics! Physics, eh? Physics! Phyyyysics! I hope you're all getting this down!" - The Doctor

Post by WoodBetweenWorlds »

I have some thoughts about this that you guys might find interesting. First off, I think the show that is the focus of worry is mainly Sentai. Rider seems to be fairly steady the past few years and looks to be fine for the future. Of course, pitting it against Dragon Ball Super is gonna hurt a bit. Sentai, however, is a different story. Ratings and sales have been slowly falling year after year.

Some people, myself included, believe a large factor could be Japan's ever declining birth rate. Ever since Sentai became more of a toy commercial in the mid nineties, they have targeted a very specific, and very young demographic. We may have gotten to the point where the demographic is simply no longer sustainable. There could be a tonal shift coming to Sentai, and also Rider, and that is the reason for the time slot change.

Japanese companies tend to give either extremely vague explanations, if any explanations at all, when they make decisions like this. All we can do at this point is speculate and wait to see what happens.
Check out my Tumblr where I review shows that I watch and talk about other random nonsense!

http://codenamewaffle.tumblr.com/
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

I'd be down for a tonal shift. Kamen Rider has always toed the "maturity" line, imo, but Sentai has done nothing but regress. Going back to watch some of the older entries in the series, it's extremely obvious and in some ways painful.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

ViRGE wrote:They're popular all over the world. Even with Japan's sheer weirdness, I would have been more surprised if there wasn't a market for them.
I get that. I mean it's the start time that gets me. Most Sunday news in other countries start at either 9 or 10, which makes sense. And I'd understand a 6AM start time on a weekday so people would watch as they get ready for work. But on a Sunday? Fuck that. I'd prefer to sleep in.
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: RX
2nd Favorite Series: GAIM
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by fenrir »

i do think we should consider people who have insomnia & start to be sober after they saturday night thing
otw: Ex-Aid , Hurricane (ep3), Amazons S2, Kyuuranger

finished:
KR: Black, RX, Super1 + all Heisei + AMAZONS
Sentai: Zyu,Dai,Gao,Deka,Magi,Bouken,Geki,Goon,Shinken,Gokai,GoBus,ToQ,Ninnin
Garo: All (anime[both] as well)
Densha Otoko
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Catastrophe wrote:
ViRGE wrote:They're popular all over the world. Even with Japan's sheer weirdness, I would have been more surprised if there wasn't a market for them.
I get that. I mean it's the start time that gets me. Most Sunday news in other countries start at either 9 or 10, which makes sense. And I'd understand a 6AM start time on a weekday so people would watch as they get ready for work. But on a Sunday? Fuck that. I'd prefer to sleep in.
Well Good Morning America starts at 6am Sunday here in the US. So there are people who like to be up that early, even on a Sunday. Older people, I'd imagine, given that the body tends to shift to early bed/early rise at that age.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

I think go buster was the last serious series if that can be said for it. before that gokaigers was not all goofy at least and shinkengers were the one with a decent story and plot but that is about it.

Return to “Other Heroes”