Dreamy: Why yes I am
Favorite Actor?: Watanabe Hiroyuki
Favorite Band: Royksopp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Film Noir
Quote: "Walking the path of Hell, the man who serves no one."

Modifying Toys

Post by KickHopper »

This is a thread for anyone here who have tried to modify any toku toys they've gotten whatsoever. A basic discussion thread on your experiences modifying toys, and if anyone has questions as well. You can voice your advice, opinions, or just show off what you've done.

To start things off, I've been modifying Rider belts for awhile. It's relatively painless, since you're not hurting any part of the toy, and you can usually get away with a simple expansion in the back. I've heard of and seen people completely replace a belt, which I recently experimented with to pretty good results. Even that is relatively painless, though I did run into an accident where I melted a bit of the plastic while trying to keep a belt strap from fraying by toasting where I cut into it with a lighter.

Recently I've been working on a very special project. I got the Darkvisor toy from Ryuki, Knight's visor. I've seen videos of this one guy who has modified the Magnuvisor, Venovisor, and Destvisor to use the electronics of the Dragvisor so that they can actually read the cards instead of just saying Advent no matter what card is in it. The Darkvisor is worse in that it doesn't even say Advent, it just makes a bat noise when you put a card in. So I've started working on putting Dragvisor electronics into the Darkvisor. It has been... an interesting experiment. The Darkvisor I bought was cheap because it was already damaged, which is a good thing since this is all experimental. Because it's so much smaller than all the other visors, it's been really tough. I've had to grind up the insides of the Darkvisor to fit the soundboard and speaker of the Dragvisor, and also had to grind down some of the corners/sides of the soundboard of the Dragvisor to fit as well. I had to be careful to only grind down where there weren't any connections or electrical stuff on the soundboard. And the fumes from grinding that stuff down, as well as the mess from pieces of plastic/silicon flying everywhere were not fun. I don't recommend doing this unless you have the proper equipment by the way. On top of that, having to cut a slot/drill holes into the card plate of the Darkvisor so the pins for reading the cards can come through, really takes away from the aesthetics of the toy, though not too bad. I ended up also having to re-solder a lot of connectors back onto the soundboard as the wiring is very delicate and a lot of it kept snapping off from their connection points. All in all, it should turn out OK, but I sure am glad I didn't mess up anything too horribly, and that the toy I bought was damaged already. I also plan on transforming the same toy into the Blancvisor of Femme for my girlfriend. She wants to cosplay as Femme at some point. Plus it's always sad that the few Rider chicks that exist don't have any toys to show for it. Next up, maybe I'll modify the Garren Rouzer into the Larc Rouzer >.>
ImageImage
SiegeDragomon
Honey System
Favorite series: Stargate Atlantis
Dreamy: Azrael
Favorite Actor?: Yes I like Cheese
Favorite Band: HarkleFarkle

Re: Modifying Toys

Post by SiegeDragomon »

I used to have a ton of Gundam models and toys. I once combined a bunch of different Gundams and gave it a cool little metal sword thingy with runes on it I had. It ended up as this white and dark blue gundam with a dark blue cape and a badass sword. I had other customized gundams but that one was by far the coolest. I miss it..
Sometimes it's best to just go along with it and avoid the explosions, other times it's fun to be the one with the detonator and an evil laugh.
KickHopper
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR W & Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Keitei Sousakan 7
Dreamy: Why yes I am
Favorite Actor?: Watanabe Hiroyuki
Favorite Band: Royksopp
My boom: Film Noir
Quote: "Walking the path of Hell, the man who serves no one."

Post by KickHopper »

SiegeDragomon wrote:I used to have a ton of Gundam models and toys. I once combined a bunch of different Gundams and gave it a cool little metal sword thingy with runes on it I had. It ended up as this white and dark blue gundam with a dark blue cape and a badass sword. I had other customized gundams but that one was by far the coolest. I miss it..
Dang, I would've loved to have seen a picture of that. Sounds pretty badass.

So despite grinding up the insides of the Dark Visor to hell, the soundboard of the Drag Visor is still keeping it from closing up all the way. Other than that, everything works out great. And since I'm probably going to turn this into the Blanc Visor anyway, I think it'll turn out ok.
ImageImage
SiegeDragomon
Honey System
Favorite series: Stargate Atlantis
Dreamy: Azrael
Favorite Actor?: Yes I like Cheese
Favorite Band: HarkleFarkle

Post by SiegeDragomon »

The original plan was to make a non chibi version of Zero from SD gundam but it ended up cooler then that >.>
Sometimes it's best to just go along with it and avoid the explosions, other times it's fun to be the one with the detonator and an evil laugh.

Return to “Toys”