Kamen Rider Phantom

Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Kamen Rider Phantom

Post by Kogashi »

Kamen Rider Phantom: Humans are hunted by an invisible predator, Specters. They feed off the souls of the young and the dying alike. Such evil, even the dead cannot stay silent. Clad in the breath of the darkness, his own death is the least he should concern himself with. Henshin, lost man, Kamen Rider Phantom!

General Cast
Hikaru Hayato/Kamen Rider Phantom
Hikaru Kotoro
Akira Aimi
Makoto Tsuji
"Boss"
Professor Fuuten Shouki
"Sempai"

Currently 'In Pre-Production' (IE, it's gonna take a while ^^; )

I realize I already have a thread with both this and my other original Toku series, but I realized that it was ending up too cluttered and uneven, so I'm splitting them up as I try to return to my work on my fanfics, thank you for your unterstanding.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog

Episode 1: The Lost Man

Post by Kogashi »

“Hiraku Hayato, born Yoshi Hayato, had a successful, but at the same time, hard and challenging life. Though an intelligent student and a good friend through out his life, he lost both his parents in an accident while still only in grade school.” It's a surprisingly bright, hot day. It's been like this the pass week. Not the kind of weather one would think would go along with such a tragedy. The man speaking, Hiraku Kotoro, stops just for a moment as he looks over the sadden faces of the crowd for what feels like the hundredth time today, before he continues to try and accept his best friends death, the only way he thinks he can. “At that time, he was adopted by my father, Hiraku Onoji. By that time, we were already close friends... No, we were brothers. It just so happened that we became brothers in name as well... We nearly flew through middle and high school but then, our father died, leaving us as co-heads of his company.”

Kotoro suddenly recalls the last conversation he had with Hayato four days ago in their office. “I just feel you're not taking this seriously!” “Taking what seriously? Hunting ghosts?” “Specters. They are called Specters. Your father's goal in making BASE is right there in the name.” “I know I know, the Board Against Spectral Enemies. Ya sound more like dad every day. No wonder he liked you better.” “W-what are you talking about? We were both made co-head of-” “No! My father made you the head, he just thought you'd make a fuss if your best friend, his blood born son, was left behind to, oh I don't know, follow a line of work he wants?” At that he leaves both the office and his memory, finding himself again at the funeral for his best friend. “...But maybe, I wasn't that good of a brother. I enjoyed hanging out with him, but we didn't seem to have similar interests. I had even thought time and again that he was crazy. Even know I can't think of any real support I had ever given him.”

Among the crowd of friends is another who was mourning Hayato's death just as much as Kotoro was. However, Akira Aimi wasn't aware of Kotoro's painfully remembering his best friend's life. She was hardly aware that she was even at a funeral. She was busy remembering when Hayato's body was found, three days ago. The day before they had an argument in front of his apartment about how he should take a few days off, maybe head off to the beach or somewhere like that... To think she was flirting with him the day before he died. She lived near by and always could hear when he left for work, which he did every day... So when he hadn't left by noon, she felt she had to check on him. The door was unlocked, and he was dead. She had always joked he would work himself to death. No, she couldn't be here, he can't be dead, it's just wrong, you shouldn't mourn those who aren't dead. It just can't be true, he can't be dead! “But despite our differences, his death has refocuses me. He has shown me in death, what I did not want to see while he was alive. I will now re-double my efforts as head of BASE, starting with several programs suggested by him the day he joined, for his vision shall not die, not this day, it's bad enough that he was taken from us, at the age of 24... May he rest, in peace.”

Hayato woke up, lurching up from his bed, sweating and panting slightly. “God, when is it going to cool off? It's been like this for three days. What time is it?” He looks around his darkened and dusty room. The window's blinds are all closed, all his electronics have been unplugged, and for some reason, his front door was slightly ajar. He pulls himself out of bed. As he does he notices that he's still in the work clothes he came home in. “I don't even remember going to sleep. Heh, maybe I should take a while off.” After a quick splash of water to his face, he leaves his apartment, closing the door fully behind him. As he heads towards BASE he tries to call ahead, only to see that the screen on his cell is cracked. He tries to check the time with his wrist watch but it's face is also cracked. He remembers that they were working just fine yesterday. Suddenly he saw one again, one of those dark shadows that only he seemed aware of. Specters, even on a blazing hot day like this they were running around, hunting for the dying. But this time, they weren't moving like they were all hunting for themselves... It felt like they were watching him. And there were two bigger ones, but one wasn't so much a shadow, as the kind of man you wouldn't think too much about... But why would anyone wear something as heavy and dark as a black cape on a day like this?

Something seemed odd as he prepared to sign in at the office, not that it was the only strangeness today. At least the clock was working, though the glass was still cracked. What was strange was that it was already 2:45 PM, but it seemed like no one was in. “Sure are nice, coming in today.” The woman at the desk points to a notice on the door near the sign in sheet. “It's a reminder that, if you want, you can take the day off because of the funeral.” “Funeral? Who had died?” “Haven't you heard? The co-head, Hiraku Hayato died a few days ago. It's terrible all the same but at least it gives temps like me some work.” Wait... That couldn't be right. “Miss, today...it's the 25th right?” “No sir, the 28th... Are you alright sir? You seem a bit, pale.” Before answering Hayato leaves in a confused daze. That can't be right. He's been dead for 3 days? No, she's, that woman was just a temp she, must have heard wrong... But then who had died? The only other Hiraku working there was Kotoro, and Onoji's funeral had been years ago. He couldn't possibly be dead, and yet...

There they were, Kotoro, Aimi, his personal staff and half the employs from BASE, there around a grave, with the name Yoshi (Hiraku) Hayato on it. Well, least they were kind enough to put his birth name on the grave as well. This just, couldn't be real. Is this what it's like to be dead? So many things left to do. So many words left unsaid. Oh, Aimi, if she only know how he felt. How he thought she was bright, cheerful, smart, funny- “Don't forget she's stunningly beautiful.” The man who had been following Hayato, the one with the heavy black cape, had sneaked up next to him while he was busy talking to himself out loud. “Oh, and you're not dead.”

The man ended up dragging Hayato to a nearby ramen restaurant and both of them are served within seconds. “What do you mean I'm not dead?” “Well, it's complicated really it's... Well for now eat your ramen, it's best while it's still hot.” The man starts eating, however Hayato doesn't even pick up his chop sticks. “What do you mean 'it's complicated'? Either I'm dead or I'm not, which is it?” “To be honest I'm not too clear on how it works either, just eat your ramen already.” “Well what can you tell me right now?” “My name, Makoto Tsuji, now eat your damn ramen! What are you, a cat tongue?” Tsuji seems angry that Hayato hasn't touched his ramen, even though the steam has disappeared by now. Everyone else in the restaurant looked a bit hostile towards Hayato as well. “Well Tsuji, if you know what's going on, then tell me. Don't waste my time with pointless ramen!” Suddenly, everyone in the restaurant stands up in protest of the ramen getting such an insult. Hayato looks around in surprise, especially when the chief comes out holding a large clever. He looks down at Hayato and the still only slightly annoyed Tsuji, and then over his shoulder at the rest of the restaurant. “Get back to your ramen, leave the new kid to me.” He turns back to Hayato, then picks up his ramen bowl with one hand. “Leave, until you're ready to finish your ramen.” Hayato tries to stare the chief down, but at once the chief swings his cleaver down at Hayato's seat. Luckily, Hayato was smart enough to get going by the time the cleaver would have cut him in half. “Aaah, Boss, you scared him off.” “You leave to.” “Eh?” “You brought discourse to my restaurant and brought with you a man who does not accept my ramen.” “Right right... I'll be back later tonight.”

Once outside, three things become very obvious to Hayato. Firstly, despite it being the mid-afternoon when he and Tsuji entered, it was now well into the evening. Secondly, the ramen restaurant he had went into was near the cemetery where his funeral was taking place, however now he finds himself right in the middle of down town. Thirdly, and he felt most importantly, despite it being so late and in the middle of down town, it was deserted. No one was in the streets aside from himself, and several mean looking specters just stepping into the light. The specters are odd looking creatures, all about the same size and, in general, have no real interesting features. For lack of a better word they look similar to walking shadows when a light is shone right in front of or behind a person. They look taller and thinner then they should, as if distorted. Among five of the normal specters is another, more human looking specter that they seem to be guarding almost. The normal looking one points two fingers at Hayato and at once, the specters rush at him like wolves let loose on the hunt. All five rush just to the sides of Hayato knocking him down before circling back to the leader. There's a raspy growl and suddenly the darkness wrapped around him disappear showing him to be bat like in appearance. It screeched into the darkness and the five begin to rush at Hayato who was still getting back on his feet from the last attack, when someone with a long, black cape run pass him towards the Specters.

Tsuji jumped up and slamed his fist into the top of the lead Specter's head, knocking it down and bringing the other four to a stop. As the Specter fell it disappears into a puff of dark smoke. He looked at the other four with a proud smirk, and the four looked at the Bat Specter. It nods and the four remaining Specters launch their attacks. He soundly defeated them with a back fist to one, a roundhouse kick to another, a back kick to the third, and he finishes off the fourth with an uppercut. During said uppercut, he unbuckles the chain holding the cape on, grabs the top of it with his free hand, flicks it up and grabs the other end with the hand still high in the air after the uppercut. He puts the two ends together around his waist as if it was a belt, and the chain hops up and connects the two ends by itself. At once it shifts from a black cape into a heavy link chain metal belt, with the buckle in the shape of a skull and crossbones. He takes a slight step forward so that his shoulders are making a line between Hayato and the Bat Specter. With one thumb he flicks open the mouth of the belt buckle, which speaks in a relaxed voice. “Darkness's Breath” “Henshin.” A black smoke just like what the Specters disappeared into starts pouring out and wrapping around Tsuji, whose hands are out as he smirks at the Bat Specter. His figure disappears under the smoke, which disperses as the two narrow green lights appear as the eyes on his helmets. His body became mainly black and gray, with red outlines here and there. Along the arms and legs it looks like the armor was torn and/or ripped slightly.

Once his transformation is complete, Tsuji punches the air a bit in a mix of warming up and taunting the Bat Specter. The Bat Specter rushes at him and begins attacking, however Tsuji smoothly and easily slips between and around his attacks. Tsuji counters with a flurry of light open palm strikes, including a dope slap to the back of his head. It's clear in the way he fights that Tsuji sees this as, at most, a game. Something else seems wrong to. No matter how many times he hits the Bat Specter, none of it seems to do any harm to it, it simply stumbles a little and attacks again. Tsuji finally punches, knocking back the Bat Specter a few feet. At this, Tsuji turns the skull upside down, causing the mouth to close and the eyes to turn a dull green. The light from the skull flows down into his leg causing a long, curved blade to appear on his ankle. He jumps high above the Bat Specter, and an unseen force throws him and his kick right at it.

Next time on Kamen Rider Phantom Ep. 2: The Breath of Darkness.

Tsuji: “I'm just not the right guy for that.”

Kotoro: “Welcome, to BASE.”

Aimi: “It may be denial, but no one's given me even one answer yet. I'll find out what happened.”
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog

Episode 2: Breath of Darkness

Post by Kogashi »

Tsuji finally punches, knocking back the Bat Specter a few feet. At this, Tsuji turns the skull upside down, causing the mouth to glow and the eyes to turn a dull green. The light from the skull flows down into his leg causing a long, curved blade to appear on his ankle. He jumps high above the Bat Specter, and an unseen force threw him and his kick right at it. However, the Bat Specter sees this attack coming. He jumps back and flabs his now wing like arms causing a small dust tornado, which blows Tsuji off course, and giving the Bat Specter enough time to escape. The second Tsuji's right foot, the one with the blade, touches the ground, the armor around him disappears in a puff of smoke and he appears normally with his cape back on. “Man... Dodged again.” Tsuji then looks up right at Hayato. “Oh hey, good, you're here... I was worried I would have to go out looking for you. Come on, after tonight, I think what you need is some ramen.”

Hayato finds himself back at the same ramen place, with the same angry crowd, and the same mean looking chief, placing in front of him... no... it, couldn't be. “This, looks like...” “What? You thought I would make you some new ramen when you haven't finished your first bowl?” Without another word, Hayato begins eating his cold ramen. Suddenly the mood lightens as everyone return to their own ramen. “See Lost Man? The ramen here an't bad at all, even when cold. Thanks Boss.” The chief grunts at Tsuji and heads back to the kitchen. “Lost Man?” “It's your unofficial nickname. Everyone's talking bout you. The guy who died but then woke up outside of his body three days later.” Hayato pauses for a moment, staring mournfully at the cold broth of his ramen. “...Makoto-san-” “Tsuji. I'm not the type to be called 'san' by anyone.” “...Tsuji. I have to ask... My death.” “It's probably not Specter related. There are two facts that say it wasn't. Firstly, Specters only take the souls of those who are three days from a natural or inescapable death, like sickness, old age, or sitting on death row. From what little I know about you, Mr. Co-head of BASE, is you were nearly the picture of health.” Hayato is a bit surprised by Tsuji knowing both who he was, and how much he seemed to know about the Specters. “Secondly, if your soul was taken by a Specter, and three days passed without you returning to your body, we wouldn't be talking, your soul would have been eaten. So no, I don't think your death is Specter related, or your... What ever you'd want to call this. Now hurry and finish your ramen before Boss gets angry again.” The two look over towards the kitchen and see Boss, holding his clever. The two start eating at once.

“Give it to me from the top, I might make heads or tails this time.” “Yes sir” Kotoro sat at his desk in his BASE office. Hayato's seat next to it, completely bare. In front of him the researcher wipe the white board he's been working on clean again. On the board are a mixed of several blurred or mostly blocked black and white pictures. “We are unsure when the Specters first appeared, or even really what they are. This mainly stems from the fact that most people can't see them... We're unsure why that is. Also they seem only to be located in Japan... We're unsure why.” As he talks he writes down shortened versions of what he just said on the white board. “We can only confirm their existence since the the previous head, your father, who both could see the Specters, and had come up with several ways to make them appear on photographs, as shown in these examples.” He points to the blurred pictures to the side. Though most of the pictures are blurred in all of them there is one figure that is always in focus, different in each picture. Also, though the figure is covered in shadows, around them is the only color in the photo. “Thanks to him the number of employees with the ability to see the Specters skyrocketed, thus we were able to follow and even observe them for months or even years on end. From this we learned that the Specters seem to feed off of a life force within humans. For lack of a better term, we say they eat their souls. However, they only seem to take the soul when a person is at most, three days from death... We're unsure why.” Kotoro rubs his forehead slightly “Is there anything else we're not sure of?” “Well sir there are a few things, but the most important wou-” The researcher stops as Kotoro's intercom buzzes. “Hiraku-San, we request your presence for the welcoming of the newest BASE employee.” “Oh, I'll be right there. Sorry, just leave the papers on my desk I'll get to them when I can.”

Kotoro, along with two other current employees, stands before Aimi, in a nice business suit. “Well, you did say employee... Anyway, umm, Miss?” “Akria Aimi, I look forward to working with all of you.” She bows politely. “Umm, yes well, mind if I ask why you wanted to join?” Aimi doesn't get up from her bow for a while. “...Someone I knew used to work here... I really liked him but, I guess I never told him right out because he never picked up on it...They said he died” She finally gets up from her bow, a frighteningly serious face on, catching Kotoro and the other employs off guard. “I don't think it's true, not the whole truth at least. It may be denial, but no one's given me even one answer yet. I'll find out what happened. Since he trusted this group so much, so will I.” She then smiles and bows again, just for a moment. “Again, I look forward to working with you all.” “Well, Akira-San, on behalf of myself, all who work here, and those whose deaths can't be explained, welcome, to BASE.” The two shake hands.

Back that the ramen restaurant, Hayato sneeze hard in the direction of Tsuji's ramen, which Tsuji quickly moves it out of the way. “Geez, for a recently dead man people do seem to talk about you a lot. So where'd I leave off?” “You were just killed and yet you found yourself here.” “Ah, right. Well, according to Boss, I was killed by a Specter that wasn't interested in my soul, so that's why I ended up here, at the wonderful Reaper Ramen Restaurant, or R3.” “But, since I ended up here.” “Ah, no, you would have to appear here RIGHT after you died. If I remember you said you woke up at your apartment. Anyways, so the odd thing was I found I could leave, unlike most of the people here. That's when I realized I had this cape on... Then I found the Specter who did me in, and suddenly the cape turned into the belt and boom, you saw it last night. Been fighting the Specters ever since... Well the ones that attack me.” “Why?” "Self Defense.” “No I mean, why just the ones that attack you? Why not fight them all?” “Why?” “To stop them from killing more people, to stop them from eating more souls. Maybe even to destroy every last one of them!” “...Ha, what a load.” Hayato is taken aback by this, and so is the rest of the costumers. “You don't even know where they come from and you think there's a chance to destroy them? Well, even if you could, it's not my concern. Saving people, being a hero, I'm just not the right guy for that.” With that Tsuji finishes his ramen and heads out by himself. “You don't know how long he's been dead do you?” Hayato jumps at hearing Boss's voice come from behind him. “It's been 20 years since he's come here. And for the first ten, he thought like you. He thought that he could beat them, one by one, and save the world... But, truth was he really isn't the right guy. I'm sure you saw how little power he has now from that last fight... but then again, he's not the only one who can leave here.”

Tsuji walks the streets along a large crowd, muttering to himself about how annoying he thinks Hayato is, but stops when he sees the Bat Specter across the street, waving him over. He looks at the Bat Specter, then at where the sun is, just starting to set. Tsuji chuckles to himself. “Well, guess I still have a bit of the hero in me.” He rushes at the Bat Specter, and only then does anyone even think they notice the two before they disappear back through an alleyway into a deserted packing lot. Though he seems to be taking this fight more serious then last nights, his attacks seem even less effective against the Bat Specter. Punches, kicks, throws, nothing seems to cause more harm to it then a wayward fly. Every now and then when Tsuji is knocked back he takes another look at where the sun is, almost tauntingly just above the horizon. Finally the Bat Specter feels he's wasted enough time and grabs Tsuji by the throat, lifting him up. But before it can do anything it has to jump back and up as Hayato throws a fire extinguisher right at it. Tsuji drops to the ground, coughing slightly as Hayato rushes up to him, grabbing the cape off of him and snaps the chain onto the end, transforming it into it's belt form. “What do, you think you-?” “It's okay, Boss told me what to expect. This is my burden now.... Henshin!” He tries to pull down the mouth of the skull, but it doesn't move. The Bat Specter, seeing this, launches itself at him as Hayato tries to open the skull's mouth. Finally, loosing his temper with the belt, just as the sun sinks below the horizon, Hayato punches the head of the skull, and the jaw drops open.

A brilliantly bright, red light shined from the skull and a fast, heavy torrent of black smoke shoots out from the open jaw, knocking away the Bat Specter and surprising Tsuji, who quickly covers his head. Within the smoke, Hayato's body is wrapped into a back and gray body tight suit, with strips of red from his neck to his feet. After the suit, along the whole body, the smoke places bits of hard, gleaming metal armor appear. Finally, a helmet is formed around his head, it's narrow eye slot unlit. Suddenly, the smoke starts to rip, pull, and tear at his body. Every moment a new tear or rip is made, it seems to heal up and make new skip or curve to the suit. With a scream of pain and rage, he slashes at the smoke, and it disappears, leaving only Phantom, as it's eyes flick on and turn red. The Bat Specter lands and finally talks. “So, Phantom has a new face does it? Are you as much a fool as the one before you?” Phantom looks up at Bat Specter and rushes at him and with one punch, slams him into a near by wall. The Bat Specter knocks away Phantom's fist and slashes at him twice. Both hit, letting sparks fly, but the actual damage is minimal, unlike the two kicks to Bat Specter's chest. It staggers back a bit to gather it's breath and at once, Phantom turns the skull upside down. The skull's mouth closes and the red light shines again and travels into his right leg. Phantom runs right at the Bat Specter, jumps onto it's shoulder, and seems to jump off of it further away. At once the long, curved blade appears out of Phantom's extended right leg and he spins in place in the middle of the air once, cutting right through the back of the Bat Specter. Right as Phantom lands behind the Bat Specter, he de-transforms, the cape on normally, and the Bat Specter explodes into black smoke.

Off in the BASE offices, Aimi worked through some of Kotoro's papers, having been accepted as his personal assistant. “First day on the job and he already drops his work load on me... Geez, to think they're brothers.” She mainly sorts what files should be sorted where, but every now and then, she would stop for a moment, flip open the folder, and get a quick idea what's inside them. A couple other employs walk by her office and wave goodnight to her and she waves back not really paying attention. “Goodnight Akira-san.” “Goodnight Hiraku-sa—aaaaah!” Kotoro about to leave does grab her attention. “Hiraku-san! You're already leaving?” “...Yeah, it's 8.” “B-b-but you're the head of BASE, isn't there something you should be doing as such?” “Yeah, as such, I should eat dinner and go to sleep, and then come back at about 10 like always. Night” He casually waves goodbye to Aimi before she can say anything else and leaves. Aimi slumps back into her seat, slightly amazed. “Never heard Hayato back from work any earlier then 11 most nights. What a lazy-” She grabs a folder at random and starts reading. Her anger at Kotoro starts to fade as she reads this folder. In it, it covers the odd moments when Specters seem to appear, even to normal people. Those times being whenever they were fighting against 'The Phantom'. Next to those words is non-blurred picture featuring several people gasping at the sight of a spider shaped Specter getting slammed into and through a wall by Phantom. The photo's date is 35 years ago, and the large, open eyes on the black and white photo, are clearly blood red, and a long cape flaps behind him. The armor is smooth, similar to a European knight's armor. She quickly flips through the remaining pages takes out the 35 year old picture, and then puts it into her bag. “Well, I guess heading home this earlier is so terrible, if I'm still doing work.” She looks at the photo again. “I think I can give myself a little off hours hobby right? Let's go Phantom hunting.”

Next time on Kamen Rider Phantom
Ep 3: Law of the Phantom

Tsuji: “My only advise, Phantom, is make your final attack count.”

Kotoro: “A guy who can't see Specters is a bit useless as the head of BASE - That's why pops, made these.”

Aimi: “People have seen Phantom before - He could know something we don't.”

Hayato: “Tsuji, my name is Yoshi Tsuji.”

Kotoro: “Well all that leaves, is for us to catch a Specter.”
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog

Episode 3: Law of the Phantom

Post by Kogashi »

"You hear who's back?" "Really? Super Temp?" "Waah! Super Temp-sensei's back!" Three different online forums, all of them talking about the same event. The return to their forums of a legendary person. One who has been rumored to have temped at every kind of job. A person who knows the ins and outs of cubical jungles. But Aimi wasn't concerned with a triumphant return to her various online communities. What she was concerned with was to find someone. "Hey all, yea I'm back now listen. I can't exactly say where I'm working but I need everyone's help. I'm looking for this." She loads up the picture she had found of the Phantom from 35 years ago. While waiting for it to fully upload, she notices another welcome back that catches her attention. "Hey hey, Super Temp-sensei. Did you ever tell that person you like how you feel?" Aimi pauses for a moment, the memory of Hayato's funeral still painfully fresh in her mind. "...No, no yet. That person's been, busy..." "Don't wait too long, someone else might grab them. Good luck!" "...Thanks" Once the picture is up on all three forums, she turns her computer off, and stares at the blank screen, fighting back her tears.

"Phantom?" Tsuji nods at Hayato has he hurriedly finishes his ramen. "Yep, least that's what the Specters call it and, as you can likely guess, it's been around for as long as they have. I haven't figured out much about it aside from it's name and the fact that it kind of puts martial arts knowledge in your head, once you get used to it." Tsuji orders another helping as Hayato starts slowly eating his, a let down look on his face. "You know, as good as all that is, does this mean I have to walk around with a cape all the time? I mean, couldn't it look a little less out of the ordinary? Like a jacket or a-" Before he can finish the cape suddenly wraps itself around Hayato's arms and becomes a light, black leather jacket. Tsuji, as well as everyone else in the ramen shop stops eating in surprise of this. "Huh, never seen it do that before... I think it likes ya." "What you mean it's living?" "Well it's... complicated." Tsuji gets back to his ramen before Hayato can ask what he means and, knowing it no use, Hayato gets back to his ramen as well. "My only advise, 'Phantom', is make your final attack count." "...Why?" "... You know I don't remember. Hey Boss, why did you tell me to make my final attack count when I first became Phantom?" Boss looks over from the kitchen with a murderous glint in his eye and the two silently get back to their ramen, Tsuji asking for another.

Kotoro yawns loudly as he signs in at the BASE front desk. "Chief!" He winces at Aimi's shout. "It's already 11 and you're just getting in now!?" "Oh, morning umm... Ahira-san?" "It's Akira, A-KI-RA!" "Ah, sorry never been good with names. Oh, did a package arrive at my office this morning? "Well, yes but now's not the time for-Chief!" At hearing that his package arrived he suddenly seems to have been recharged. He finishes his sign in with a flourish and rushes pass Aimi to his office. Aimi quickly tries to follow. "Chief we have to-will you listen? I found some interesting-sir the package will be there all day it's not going to disappear-Chief, I need to talk to you about-" They finally make it to Kotoro's office and the small brown package on his desk and begins opening it, Aimi still trying to get his attention. "Akira-san, I really shouldn't be the head of BASE." "Wha-umm, well I admit your work ethics are a bit odd but I wouldn't go that far." "Oh, yea there's that too. But mainly, I mean the fact that a guy who can't see Specters is a bit useless as the head of BASE." He holds up what looks like a strange pair of sunglasses. "That's why pops, made these."

4 men sat around a table in a barely lit room, playing poker (5 card draw). As all but one player trades out their cards there's a strange, tense silence over the group. They start tossing chips in, the one who hadn't traded any cards putting his cards down to do so as he only has one arm. Finally, everyone shows what they have. "Ku ku ku ku, 2 pair, beat that feathers." "Ha, easy chimp, Straight." "...Full House." "Ku ku ku ku, sempai wins again." "Ha, if I didn't know better, I'd think he cheats." "...What about you, Boar-san? You haven't shown your hand yet." "Humph, you three are pretty calm, considering Bat's been defeated." "Ha, this is a change. I thought you always saw him as weak, could it be you're scared of our friend Phantom?" "Humph, Scared!? Humph, of that idiotic wimp Phantom!?" Boar slams his cards face down onto the table in anger and leaves. The short, skinny one of the group leans over to where his stouter friend sat. He flips 'Boar's' cards over to see what he had. "Ku ku ku ku, just a flush, sempai still wins." he puts both his and Boar's cards on top of the deck. "Ha, that idiot, so Bat got careless, Boar should already know he'll win against that Phantom." This taller, leaner play puts his cards on top of the deck and pushes the deck over to 'sempai'. 'Sempai' then begins shuffling with one hand. "That is... if it's the same Phantom we fought."

Boar stomps along the streets, still angry, when suddenly takes notice of the sound of sirens. He rushes towards the sound and sees two people being checked after getting pulled from their mangled cars. He grins as he simply slips between the crowd to the two drivers. One a young man who will more then likely pull through. However the other, older man might have had a heart attack or the like before the crash. Doubtful that he'll make it through according to the paramedics. Boar leans over the two, reaching his hands into them. a blueish light flows from the two bodies, through his arms, into his body. He then steps out from the crowd just as easily as he stepped in, seeming much more clam and relaxed then when he left the poker table. That is, before he notices Hayato standing just across the street from him. At first he's a bit surprised that someone is looking directly at him, but then notices that his jacket slowly turn into smoke, and then the belt wrapped around his waist. Boar's grin returns as a shadow covers him and he changes into his Specter form and rushes at Hayato as he transforms as well, both of them leaving the main street with nearly no one noticing. The Boar Specter stands easily a foot taller than Phantom. The two begin fighting off in some back lot, vacant of anything but the two of them. Boar Specter is much slowly then Phantom, but it's tough skin makes causing any damage to it a task. After several failed attacks to the body Phantom rushes at him, aiming a punch to the face. This hits and causes Boar Specter to step back, but before Phantom can enjoy this fact he feels Boar Specter wrap his arms around him, catching him in a bear hug. Slowly Boar Specter squeezes tighter and tighter, trying to crush Phantom's spin. In a desperate attempt to get free, Phantom turns the skull on his belt upside down, sending the energy to his leg. He pushes his arms against Boar's chest to make some space, and quickly kicks up at Boar's left shoulder. In a second Boar Specter's left arm falls to the ground and disappears in a puff of smoke. Boar lets go of Phantom, who has de-transformed back into Hayato. Hayato pants in pain for a few seconds before he realizes that he's no longer Phantom. He tries to transform again while Boar continues to morn the loss of his arm, however every time he tries to open the skull's mouth, it snaps back closed. "You can't be serious!" Boar has noticed this two and begins rushing at Hayato again, Hayato barely dodges out of the way and down a narrow ally way, too narrow for Boar to follow him down.

"You see Akira-san, with these glasses, even someone normal like me can see Specters even more clearly then people who can see them normally... Akira-san?" Kotoro and Aimi at an outdoors cafe, Kotoro has the sunglasses on that his father built, looking around like a curious child in a museum. However, Aimi just stirs her coffee uninterestedly with her spoon, looking over to the check list on her clipboard, all the indoor, at the office plans that were on there, the plan for the day completely ruined. "...Akira-san? ... Must be getting it wrong again. Umm, Ajira-san? Akiro-san? ... Ahira-sa-" "You were right the first time." "Oh, sorry. So... You were trying to tell me something back at the office right?" Aimi stops stirring her coffee, seeming a bit surprised that he remembered. "Ah, yes well..." She flips through some of the papers on her clipboard to one with the picture of Phantom from 35 years ago. "You see, Hikaru-san. there seems to be someone out there, that fights against Specters referred to Phantom, or The Phantom." Kotoro looks at the picture of Phantom, trying to look thoughtful, but the effect is lost thanks to the sunglasses. "...Any truth behind these claims? Where do they come from?" "...Mostly the internet." Even with the sunglasses on it's obvious Kotoro's interest in the subject plummeted at hearing where the claims come from. "Sir people have seen Phantom before. In one of these documents it's even claimed that your father, the former head had seen him." "...Never heard him mentioned before." "That is odd. In this paper it says for some time he worked with a Doctor Fuuten Shouki." "Fuuten Shouki? ... Fun name." "He could know something we don't. It's worth looking into." "You say this Phantom guy is suppose to fight Specters?" "Well, he is in this picture at least." "Well, all that leaves, is for us to catch a Specter. That way we could just ask them." He begins laughing, and Aimi goes back to stirring her coffee, finding his idea anything but funny. He stops laughing however when he notices something odd about someone his sunglasses just noticed. The odd thing being that he is out of focus. He lifts his sunglasses and looses track of him until he puts them back on. He puts down money to pay for the coffees and rushes off "Uh Hikaru-san? Where are you going? Sir!?" Aimi tries to follow but both Hikaru and the person he's chasing after had moved too quickly through the crowded streets.

Hayto continues running, not really sure where he was or where he was trying to get, he just needed time to think, time to figure out what was going on, and time to loose who ever it was following him. He wasn't sure if it was Boar but he wasn't going to stop and look on the off chance it was. Then, something does make him stop, a something he knew in a heartbeat. Even without thinking about it, his feet had willed him back to his home. His old home before his parents died. It was warn out and dusty from years of non-use. Everything that was there before was there now. Even his old family name plat, the name plat for the Yoshi family still hung there on the gate right outside, covered in dust and rust. Memories of his younger days, memories of his parents fill his mind. First, happy memories of them here with him, playing, eating, laughing... Then IT had happened, too soon the laughter is gone, the joy, the warmth, he was alone... But then a hand reached out to him-

And that's when he snapped back into reality as Kotoro grabs the scruff of his shirt and turns him around. The two look directly at each other, eye to eye. Hayato looks at Kotoro in surprise, and Kotoro glares at a man he doesn't know standing in front of what used to be his best friend's home. “Alright pal, who, or what are you?” Even now, with the man he was chasing right in front of him, Kotoro has some trouble keeping his eyes exactly on him with his sunglasses/specter scanner on. “..K-Kotoro...” “Eh?” “Tsuji, my name is Yoshi Tsuji. I'm a cousin of Hayato's... You're, Kotoro right? I've got a message, from him.” “WHAT!? “But I think, he's a little more important right now.” Hayato turns Kotoro's head the lowers his scanner so Kotoro can see the Boar Specter. From his remaining arm, two tusks burst from his wrists as he rushes at Hayato and Kotoro.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog

Episode 4: Commitment

Post by Kogashi »

Hayato turns Kotoro's head the lowers his scanner so Kotoro can see the Boar Specter. From his remaining arm, two tusks burst from his wrists as he rushes at Hayato and Kotoro. Hayato pushes Kotoro to one side, rolling to the other side himself as Boar crashes into the empty house they were in front of. "He'll be back." Kotoro is surprised to hear this coming from this stranger. "He's not sure when, he's not sure why he can't be back now... But he'll be back..." With that Hayato rushes after Boar into the house to continue the battle.

Kotoro stands there for a moment in disbelief at all that had happened. He snaps out of it quickly enough and heads off away from the house, taking his cell phone out making a call. *Hello?* "Akira-san, it's me. Sorry about running off like that." *Ah chief good you're safe. Where are you?* "Not important meet me back at B.A.S.E. I need some information on that guy you mentioned having worked with my dad." *Oh, Professor Fuuten? R-right away Chief!* Kotoro hangs up, giving the old house a slight glance over his shoulder as dark rain clouds gather above. "...He fights Specters huh?"

The rain started coming down as Tsuji found himself outside. At first he slowly walks against the stream of people rushing pass him, trying to get somewhere dry quickly. However, he stops and turns around, heading back the way he came. "Why would Boss think I need to help him? He's a better Phantom then I was. He'll, be fine... right?" He turns around again as a bolt of lightning comes down in the distance. "...I'm really not suited for this...Being a teacher." With that, as the rain comes down even harder then before, he starts running back in the direction he was going in to begin with.

Hayato ducks under the one armed swing of Boar as the storm begins to worsen outside. Boar tries catching him again with a backhand swing, but Hayato simply leans back and hits him with a side kick hard enough to make Boar step back. While these two fight, Hayato seeming to control the pace of the fight, off at an undisclosed hospital, the older man who was in the car crash's vital waver, his body struggling to stay alive. The beeping from the machines he's attached to seem to echo the fight, each beep matching with either a miss or a hit, getting faster and faster until, finally, the old man looses his fight for life.

Right then, Boar stops moving, which reasonably catches Hayato by surprise. Despite Boar's immobile features, it seemed clear that the creature was grinning. Suddenly, Boar's body began to glow, and a sickening growing sound becomes audible, mixed with the rain outside. Then, just as a bolt of lightning strikes outside the house, Boar's chopped off arm grows back. Along with this new arm, two almost tuck like blades sprout out of both of his wrists. “It's over, PHANTOM!” With that one roar, Boar swings both his now effectively bladed fists at Hayato, who barely has enough time to slip pass him between his legs. However, Boar's swings only stopped once both arms slammed through the main support beam of the house, and thus even as Hayato makes for the door, the house collapses upon itself. Boar throws off the debris of the house covering him and quickly looked around for his target. However, no matter how much he searches, he can't find a sign of Hayato anywhere. He roars in anger that his prey had gotten away, as another bolt of lightning strikes down.

During that same bolt, Kotoro and Aimi stand before a very dark, almost frightening appearing door, with a sign reading 'Professor Fuuten Shouki, Head of Research and Development'. For some not fully explainable reason, while there are lights on in the building, this one hallway has less lighting than the bare minimum... It doesn't look like anyone is in there, as all the lights pass the door are on, and yet both of them seem to cower before the door. “...You know, suddenly I, don't think, I really want to talk to him now.” “N-now, Hikaru-san, don't be that way, we're already here all, you, have to do is, knock on the door... It's not like, the door will bite... I mean, you have the master card key, after all.” “A-ah, right, master key card.” Kotoro fumbles for a second as he searches for said card before finding it. “Right, g-got it... You uh, Akira-san, you're sure he's the only one to work with my dad on this?” “Yea, I have to admit it's weird, Dr. Fuuten seems to be the only one who your father seemed to talk to about Phantom.” Kotoro gulped and Aimi slowly moved herself so that, if anything where to happen, at least it would hit Kotoro first. Kotoro slowly moved his hand with the key card towards the lock, though as he did so, he noticed something a little odd. It almost looked like someone had tried to scratch out something on the door's sign, almost like someone had tried to scratch out the Doctor's name and it was later put back on. He shook his head and looked back at the keypad, sliding the key card down through it...

The keypad buzzes loudly and the both of them jump back, as if expecting it to attack them, just barely holding back a scream each... But then they look at the door. Seeing that it's not exploding, Kotoro tries sliding the card through again, and just gets the buzzing noise again. He blinks and looks at his card, then to Aimi. “...This card is recent right?” “Oh course sir, you think I'd give you an outdated card? It should work just fine.” Both of them look at the key pad up close as they spoke, most of their fear and worry gone now, as it continues to rain outside. And then, a thin, pale hand reaches past both of them, holding an old looking card, and starts pressing a series of buttons on the keypad. Kotoro and Aimi watch, transfixed by this, almost ghost like arm's work, before it stopped and slid it's card through the pad. It pings happily, followed by a clicking and sliding sound from the door, letting the user know it's been unlocked. “... So what do you want?” Kotoro and Aimi slowly turn, and look at the looming appearance of the owner of this arm... A thin, pale, and yet still threatening looking man, glasses hanging down loosely as if to be aligned with the bags under his eyes. At first he looks almost monstrous, but he becomes less inhuman appearing once the lights behind the door click on, throwing his human face into sharper relief... This does not stop Kotoro from jumping back onto the door, which then swings open causing his to fall into the room on his back.

“I didn't say, jump back in surprise and make a fool of yourself I asked what do you want?” Aimi blinks at him for a moment before helping Kotoro back onto his feet. “U-uh, Professor Fuuten Shouki, right?” “I didn't say ask me my name I asked what do you want?” He said this again with the same level of annoyance and yet it was also clear that he did not really care what they had to ask. Kotoro scowled at him as he straightened himself up. “Listen do you know who I am I'm-” “Hikaru Kotoro, president day president of B.A.S.E., son of the previous president, and his personally assistant Akira Aimi, famous around the web as an 'ultra temp' for the fact that she has had several short term jobs and yet collecting all the information and skills she would need if she took the job full time, and sharing this information to those who need help finding a job... There, I know who you two are, is that what you wanted?” Kotoro and Aimi stare at Fuuten as he silently walks past them into his office, slipping on a white lab coat hanging right next to the door.

Quickly, Kotoro and Aimi follow him into what they think would be a cramp one person lab, but found to be a barely light, moderately sized lobby, but no real signs of anything lab like to it. “Ah no, Professor that isn't what we wanted to talk to you about.” “Hey nut job, why does my master card not work on your keypad?” “My name isn't nut job it's Professor Fuuten Shouki, it didn't work because it's not a company one it's my own personal keypad, I don't like people coming into my office just because they have a key. Is that what you wanted?” As they talk, Fuuten walks to the other end of the lobby and opens the door at the end, which leads to a rather large elevator. Kotoro and Aimi quickly slip in.

“Ah, s-sorry Professor Fuuten, Hikari-san didn't mean that he's just a little short tempered.” “Oi Akira-san don't apologize to this wha-” Aimi lightly bonks Kotoro on the head with her clipboard as the elevator starts moving down. “Actually, Professor, the reason we came looking for you was so we could ask you... About Phantom.” “...Oh, yes, suppose it is time he showed up again... Good timing, we're at my floor.” The elevator stops suddenly, and the opposite side of it opens up as Fuuten grins. The three of them walk out of the elevator, into what can only be seen as a small military base. It's full of people in bullet proof vests, helmets equipped with what look like streamed like versions of the glasses Kotoro had earlier, and a large assortment of strange looking guns. “Welcome, president and assistant, to the Enforcement branch of B.A.S.E.”

Mean while, the rain keeps pouring down as Hayato runs through the streets, still sure that Boar is likely trying to hunt him down, but too worried to actually look back and check. He runs through the streets, no one around him seeming to notice that he's bumping into them, or passing by them. He keeps running through the rain, until he notices someone grabbing his arm and pulling him into a alleyway to the side. Of course, no one notices any of this, and simply goes about his life.

“Yo, new Phantom, seems you're having some trouble.” “O-of course I am, right in the middle of the fight, I couldn't transform again.” Hayato panted at Tsuji, relieved it was him who caught him. “Ah, you used your finisher but couldn't beat him... Yea the finisher uses up all your power for the day. You'll have to wait till the end of the day to transform again.” “Eh!? Why didn't you tell me before hand?” “Thought the boss would have told ya earlier. Besides since when was I your teacher? … Well, I guess since now so you got anything else you want to ask, kohai?”

Hayato stared blankly at his 'teacher', puzzled by his constantly shifting personality.... So he explains what had occurred with his fight with Boar, as they silently slip inside a near by building. “Hmm... That's not good.” “I'll say it isn't how can I fight someone who can regrow an arm?” “Huh? Oh, no I was referring to being seen like that, now he'll end up seeing you with no problem... Least he didn't see you as yourself.” “B-but, what about what Boar did? That's normal for Specters or something?” “Hmm... a little. It means there's now another Specter out there.” “...Huh?” “Specters, well, you know they eat souls of the dying right? Well obviously, being more or less ghosts that means when they eat they get power, or in Boar's case, heal from a wound... But when they do that, when they 'devour' a soul, it's like it divides the soul. It eats a portion of it, and then the rest becomes another Specter.” “W-why would that happen? If they're eating a soul how can there be any left to make a Specter. If that was true that means-” “Yea... Specters are the souls of the dead... Obviously a soul's too powerful to even absorb most of it, but when a Specter 'bites' into it, I guess some kind of darkness that makes the Specters what they are spreads out into what's left... Like some kind of virus.”

Hayato's back hits the near by wall hard, almost as hard as this info was hitting him... Specter's were humans, he's been fighting humans. Tsuji looked at him. “What? You're surprised? You thought you were fighting some kind of ancient evil? A race of monsters completely separated from humans save for being the predator to the human prey? Well, guess the humans are the ancient evil to begin with. No one knows when the first Specter appeared, but you can bet, it started as a human. So what? You're just gonna give up?” Suddenly, the rain stops outside, and both of them look out the glass doors to the outside. Among the people passing by, stands Boar, grinning evilly, clearly aware of the two 'hiding' within.

Back at B.A.S.E., Kotoro and Aimi walk through the military bunker like 'lab' for professor Fuuten. “Oi oi Fuuten what's the deal with all of this?” “I told you, this is the Enfourcment Branch of B.A.S.E. Did that answer your question?” “You know what I mean you jackass!” Aimi pulls back on Kotoro's arm as he tries to punch Fuuten. “Uh, Fuuten-Sensei, I believe what Hikari-San means is, why has he not heard of this, since he is the current owner, not to mention the previous head's son.” “Ah, that, I and the proper Hikari-San-” “Proper!?” “Had an agreement some time before his death that we simply did not wish to interact with each other more than we should. Our ideas differed, so I continued to get receive funding for my research to an extent, but only as long as he does not know what I was doing with said funding... Of course being a curious man as he the proper Hikari-San -” “Again with the proper!” “was, I had to be careful not to ask for too much in terms of funds else he would come down here and see all of this expensive equipment, and I'd be out of a job. So of course, I've kept everything that I was doing secret from the rest of B.A.S.E.... That answer your question?” “The hell do you mean 'the proper Hikari-San'!” Suddenly, a door at the far end of the 'lab' opens up, letting in a large truck with a holding cell in the back. “Because you ask such an obvious question, the answer should also be obvious, inferior Hikari. Now if you'll excuse me, I must greet an important test subject.” Fuuten walks away from the two, however they both follow him to the back of the car as well, accompanied by several of the soldier like guards. Fuuten dramatically flings open the doors of the car and smirks as he looks within. “Welcome, Specter boy.” From within, the lights in the back flick on reveling a man, shackles and chains between his wrists and his ankles. His clothes are fairly formal looking, save for the brown leather coat and boats. He turns his head, the expression on his face completely blank and emotionless. “...I'm, home... Probably...”

Back out in the streets, Hayato, still unable to transform, finds himself getting tossed around by Boar, Tsuji only watching from the side lines. “Hmph! And the others were worried. Sure this Phantom's got bite, but he's less use than the last one! Isn't that right you wimp!” Boar turns his attention for a brief moment to Tsuji, who simply watches the fight, arms crossed, looking at Hayato laying on the ground. Hayato slowly pushes himself back onto his feet, only to get tossed off his feet again by Boar's next attack. This time he lands on his back hard. But his eyes, while in pain, mainly focus on the slowly descending sun. He gritted his teeth as the sun slow continues to sink below the horizon, and he gets up on his feet once more. He glares at Boar as the sun, painfully slowly, continues to set. “Hmph, trying to look tough when you're completely powerless?” “...Hey, 'Sensei', you said I had to wait till the end of the day right?” Both Boar and Tsuji are a little surprised by this. “Uh, y-yea well, that's what I understood yea... Course even not if you're not gonna fight it's pointless.” The sun finally sets, as the lights in the city flick on. As they do, the belt silently forms around his waist. “Who ever said I wouldn't fight?” He raised his fight up to his face, clenching it hard as he can, “Henshin!” and slams his fist into the skull on his belt, and once more transforms into Phantom.

Tsuji watches in amazement and chuckles to himself as Boar takes a step back. “So... You've made your choice, new Phantom?” Phantom just looks at his opponent, before raising his right hand. “Such a choice would be pointless without a display of my resolve... With that said I will show you my resolve.” With his left hand, he turned the skull upside down, and the jaw of the skull snapped shut, the light in the skull brightly glowing red. “Hmph, so what, you think you can defeat me with just one attack? Do you know who I am? Just ask your beaten up body how strong this body is!” With that, Boar rushes at Phantom. The red light from the belt, blinks for a moment, and then runs up his body into his right hand. Then, right as Boar tries to strike, he takes a step forward and punches him right in the gut. Both of them freeze there for a moment, surrounded by the silence of the city. Slowly, through the silence of the darkened city, a kind of ripping sound can be heard, like a blade through flesh. “No matter how strong you are, I cannot afford the luxury of loosing. Even if my opponents were once humans... No... Even if my opponent is a god, I cannot afford to loose!” Right from where Phantom's punch landed, a thin, long blade shoots out of Boar's back. Phantom rotates his body so that his back is facing Boar, cutting through him with his blade coming from his wrist. Boar stumbles back, the cut brightly glowing in the dark city. “H-hmph, defeated, b-by this new, weakling...” He than falls back, and disappears in a shadowy explosion. The blade on Phantom's wrist than withdraws as he de-transforms. He simply stands there, his back towards Tsuji, neither of them speaking.

Hayato then sighs as he looks up at the sky. “Man, I've really done it now... Getting back to my normal life might take longer than I thought if I can only use a finisher one day at a time...” He scratched the back of his head, as he started walking out into the darkness. “Well, not gonna any closer just standing here. Let's go, 'sensei'.” Tsuji chuckles to himself as he starts walking up to Hayato. “I really am unsuited for this... this whole 'teacher' stuff.” Not completely known to these two, back at the hospital the car crash victims were taken to, the younger man's heart monitor, that until now was in a dangerous place, had calmed down. The young man awoke, alive and relatively healthy.

Next time on Kamen Rider Phantom

Ep 5: Control and Submission

Tsuji: “There should be 3 more, among those who beat me.”

Crow: “Sempai? Sempai!”

Fuuten: “I give to you, something even that Phantom cannot do.”

Monkey: “Bastard! What are you, you monster!?”

Phantom: “Heh, guess you can call me, Kamen Rider, Phantom!”

Return to “Fanfics”