Front page formatting

Suggestions, complaints about the forums or bugs in the fansubs are to be submitted in this forum
Forum rules
If you want to suggest a series to sub... Please use this thread 99% of the time, we'll say "no", so this makes it easier to keep everything in one place.

If you have a picture that you want us to use in our videos... Submit it to this thread Widescreen series should be 1280x720 or 1920x1080. 4:3 shows in 640x480.

If you notice a mistake in the subs Please use this thread to submit it
TorchWood
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Front page formatting

Post by TorchWood » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:47 am

I admit, I'm viewing it at a 2560x1440 resolution at home, but I also see the same problem at 1920x1080 resolutions. Take a look at this picture example at what I see at my end:

Two problems:

1. There is a problem with too much white space on the left hand side, probably #main-wrapper.clearfix. Your CSS may need some tweaking.

2. I know you like the photo of the "Main Jack Matter Language", but isn't it too big, and gets cut off at the right end. Can't we use a smaller picture that is clickable to with Javascript to overlay with a larger pciture?
Gashatto! Let's Game! Meccha Game! Muccha Game! What's Your Name? I'm A Comment Writer!

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Male: Yes
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: "Are you the new monarch, or are you just a pawn of fate?" - Emerald Herald
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Front page formatting

Post by takenoko » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:25 am

I'd have to ask Q about 1. As for 2, for some reason the code I've tried to use for resizing images in the past didn't work. Maybe I need to lookup whatever syntax is needed for that with the blogging software we use.

VerusMaya II
Humongous
omg are u a girl?: Yes
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius
2ndFavoriteSeries: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by VerusMaya II » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:42 pm

Problem 1 seems to be working as intended; it centers the blog post in the window. If you ignore the image, you can see where the blog post ends create an equal amount of white space on the right side. It's just your huge resolution that is exacerbating the issue. Whether Q / take / whoever would like to (or can) change it is a different matter.

Problem 2 is just a table-breaking image. While take tries to sort out what the code is for resizing images... you could, y'know, manually resize / crop them in a editing software before you post 'em. :^)
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Quote: "Are you the new monarch, or are you just a pawn of fate?" - Emerald Herald

Post by takenoko » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:50 pm

LOL, but that takes effort~

TorchWood
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:55 pm

Paint.NET, dude. I use it at work, I use it at home, it's very powerful, it's FREE!
Gashatto! Let's Game! Meccha Game! Muccha Game! What's Your Name? I'm A Comment Writer!

Lunagel
Dances with Dinosaurs
omg are u a girl?: Yes
Favorite series: Magiranger
2ndFavoriteSeries: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:11 pm

https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_img.asp

For some weird, ridiculous, stupid reason, the automatic rich text image insert on the front page blog doesn't actually insert workable html tags for image resize.

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:47 pm

Ooh.

Quatrerwin
[insert witty title here]
Favorite series: Zeta Gundam
2ndFavoriteSeries: Gundam 0079
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "You're dead, this is the afterlife -- and I'm God" - Q

Post by Quatrerwin » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:35 pm

Truthfully, the fixed-width nature of the front page site has always bothered me. That may be changed in the theme in the next major version upgrade to the front page. That's something I will be looking at upgrading soon. I have to do a test upgrade to see how it will work. There are other themes available for free current version that do use use a fluid layout.

As far as the image sizing goes, I can check to see if there is something available that will automatically limit the image size.

Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2ndFavoriteSeries: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:41 pm

I know some sites allow different image sizes by just updating the URL; in Imgur, placing an h just before the file extension shrinks a widescreen image to around 550px in height. With that said, though, doing that or some equivalent for every image necessary would be quite a pain.

If the front page allows custom CSS, there's probably a way to define a default size/percentage limit for images (so long as that wouldn't have undesirable side effects?). I likely know next to nothing compared to the site admins on this, though.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Gaim and Build
Ultraseven X, Orb Origin Saga and Geed
Gekiranger

Watched:
Kamen Rider W, Ghost and Ex-Aid
Ultraman Nexus, X and Orb
Garo ~Gold Storm~ Shou
SpoilerShow

Return to “Feedback forum”