1080p versions?

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above
MaskedRideEclipse
Gabu
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Hot? Errr, TaJaDoru?
Favorite Actor?: Yu Hasebe
Favorite Band: DREAM
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Gi-Gi-Giga Scan
Quote: At the signature>>>

1080p versions?

Post by MaskedRideEclipse »

Great! Really awesome! I think this is the first time you really released a full-HD Kamen Rider related movie. Just a stupid question, in spite getting all the BD, why didn't you guys do the other shows in just HD instead of full-HD?
-If all that I'd been said is a spoiler, then kindly delete them or put -snips-
'If you wishes to change the world, Then, you'll need to be stronger than the world itself, If you can, then, You're capables on changing the world.'
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Kamen Rider Hibiki & The Seven Senki Theatrical Cut Rele

Post by takenoko »

Because no one asked for a 1080p version? I've always been under the impression that most people were fine with the 720p version.

Personally, I think it's better to offer people just two options. So if people wanted 1080p, I'd rather just drop the 720p version and just do the SD and full HD versions.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Re: 1080p versions?

Post by XIII »

Alot of time its a time factor, encoding a 1080p stream just takes a long time, for reference Hibiki 1080p took 9 hours to encode over the 3 hours for the 720p

So I dont always have time to prep a 1080p for release if were on a tight time frame,

I dont think we will be able to ditch 720p till the majority of everybody is able to play 1080p flawlessly, its still a catch up job for most people who havent upgraded their PC's for a while.

If there is no real interest in them, I guess Ill just stop making them for Movies that I work on.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Dark Ren
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Zi-O
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Heeeennnssshhhiiiiiiinnn...!!!

Post by Dark Ren »

I was under the impression that HD can means 720p and 1080p. so we call 720p HD, and 1080p FHD?

well, personally I prefer 720p, eventhough the 1080p version exist. I have some reasoning :
1. I watch all of my download in my Laptop and computer, so 720p is a good choice since 1080p is for those who have big screen. unfortunately I don`t have big screen
2. 1080p uses more resources, both harddisk and PC. I have 6,5 TB of harddisk but I still prefer 720p. It save me more space and I can store more files.
3. 1080p needs more bandwidth to download, and more time also. My download speed isn`t that great. by downloading 720p, I can save bandwidth for something else.

so basically :
if you release in SD and HD, I will download HD
if you release in SD and HD and FHD, I will download HD
if you release in SD and FHD, well, I`m doomed. I will download SD >_<

EDIT : I want to add, I have PC and Laptop good enough to play 1080p flawlessly, but still prefer 720p for those reasons I mentioned before
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Well, I wouldn't say that time is a factor, but it would be nice to know that there's an audience for something if we decide to commit a certain amount of resource to doing it. I just really don't know what the majority of people feel about the matter. It'd be nice to futureproof some stuff, but I think splitting things threeway and redoing an encode three times and uploading three times would get annoying.

Yeah, I never heard of full HD as a term until just that post either. I actually don't mind dooming people as long as the SD version exists, since everyone is more or less guaranteed to be able to play it. I imagine people who really want the best quality will have put in the resources to make that a viable option for them.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

FullHD is a term from the TV sales world

TV's sold as HD Ready have a resolution of 1366x768, which is just a touch over 720p and will be able to play everything at 720p res, even if you connect a Blu-Ray player to it and play a 1080p video, it will downscale to 720p so you can watch it.
TV's sold as FullHD have a resolution of 1920x1080, this is the current top size of HD, as such it will play everything in 1080p provided the input matches 1080p

I wouldn't even call FullHD future proof since Japan is working on Super HD, basically 4 times the size of FullHD

I guess we had the same questions when we started doing HD encodes, would there be enough interest in them and would people like them, I guess in time people have grown to love them, but if we dont want to waste resources, I can just release to DDL if anything, or if prefered I can stop doing them completely
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Kamen Rider Portable
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous
Quote: "To the age of digital technology"

Post by Kamen Rider Portable »

Well, personally, I think having 1080p releases are a splendid idea! I've been wanting to watch Kamen Rider on my HDTV in a higher quality for a long time! One thing you could do is drop the SD releases and only have 720p and 1080p releases! :mrgreen:

Also, I'm wondering, do that many people even download SDs nowadays? Because I don't. A great man once told me; "Go for the gold! Why settle for less?" So please TV-NIHON, if possible, can you try to continue the 1080p releases! :3

ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU!!
DrinkItDown
RYUKI TARDFACE
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Faiz
Dreamy: Faiz Bar Tender chic
Favorite Band: L'Arc en Ciel
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Cars i suppose

Post by DrinkItDown »

I still find it hard to believe that people waste bandwidth with the SD releases, especially now that every GFX card manufacturer has drivers that offload all of the video encoding/decoding work to the video card, even on old cards. Its a night and day difference between SD and HD, even 720p. As for me personally, I always want the very best as my 42in LCD TV is my monitor. I would be down for 1080p releases.

Even most old computers (lets call it 5 years) can play HD movies, its all in the software and the setup. VLC is where its at.
Old school TVN member
formerly FA|RokkumanEXE
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

From what I read, I don't think that people would be able to notice the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 42 inch TV screen. 1080p is more for people who watch it on the computer where you're really up close to the monitor.

The discussion isn't about why people still download SD versions, it's only important to acknowledge that they prefer or need that version for some reason.
DrinkItDown
RYUKI TARDFACE
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Faiz
Dreamy: Faiz Bar Tender chic
Favorite Band: L'Arc en Ciel
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Cars i suppose

Post by DrinkItDown »

takenoko wrote:From what I read, I don't think that people would be able to notice the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 42 inch TV screen. 1080p is more for people who watch it on the computer where you're really up close to the monitor.
At proper viewing distance, that is correct. However up close, its easier to tell. Mine is on my desk, so I only sit about 2 feet away, I think proper distance is 5-7 ft. Just my personal setup, though.
Old school TVN member
formerly FA|RokkumanEXE
Dark Ren
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Zi-O
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Heeeennnssshhhiiiiiiinnn...!!!

Post by Dark Ren »

Kamen Rider Portable wrote: Also, I'm wondering, do that many people even download SDs nowadays? Because I don't. A great man once told me; "Go for the gold! Why settle for less?" So please TV-NIHON, if possible, can you try to continue the 1080p releases! :3
Well... some of us don't really have that much of a choice. Some friends of mine don`t have good bandwidth, even they find it difficult to download a 350 Mb file. Some others don`t have enough capacity to store them, even if I share my 720p download to them, they still prefer the low quality or compressed one. Lucky for me to have both of them, bandwidth and storage. but, well, yeah... some of us don't really have that much of a choice
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Considering a lot of providers are considering or have already instituted bandwidth caps, it's in our best interest to keep the smaller file for people who can't afford to download huge files if they just want to see the smaller one.
mobotropolis
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Kusakabe Hiyori
Favorite Actor?: Hiroaki Iwanaga
Quote: "the" - Most likely everyone ever at some point in time.

Post by mobotropolis »

Another one who doesn't really touch SD over here. I say "doesn't really" because I still grab SD if Director's Cut exists, as normally they don't release BD versions of them for whatever ingenious marketing reason they have (release all TC movies on BluRay in a box set now, earn money. 1-2 years later do it all again with DCs FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, earn money?).

So yeah, SD only really has it's use for me with DCs.

On topic: In regards to 1080p, I think it would be nice for all BluRay sources. I'm not sure of the size difference between a 720p and 1080p TV rip episode but I wouldn't see myself dl'ing 1080p weekly (unless the size difference is actually not that drastic and/or it was a favourite series).

However for any BD films or series remasters, or as I just mentioned anything with a BD source, I think it would be cool to release that in 1080p. I would definately get those.

So maybe if you wanted to keep offering only two options you could have:
TV rips
SD
HD 720p

Disc rips
DVD
BluRay 1080p

Just my thoughts on the matter anyway.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Bandwidth caps are an issue as to why I download the SD. That, and I like having all my Toku on my computer, so size is a lesser but still an issue.
Aberration
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Den-O
Dreamy: Naomi
Favorite Band: Crowded House

Post by Aberration »

I appreciate you putting in the effort to do 1080p versions. The Garo films looked stunning, and I'm definitely looking forward to my first ever look at Hibiki when I get home.

Return to “Tech Support”