264 format for stuff without HD?

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above

264 encoding for SD-Only conent would...

...mean I can't watch the shows at all.
16%
...mean I'd be able to watch it, but it'd be choppy or not play properly.
22%
...be fine since I can play the HD version perfectly well.
62%

Total votes: 73
Cat-Scratch
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Den-O
Favorite Band: Depeche Mode
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Sanity is for the something or other.
Insanity is like vanilla ice-cream.
Whut?

Re: 264 format for stuff without HD?

Post by Cat-Scratch »

I'm asking for the xvids to be continued for much the same reason as others have said.
I tend to watch from a burned to dvd on my dvd deck for comfort, rather then watch it from a laptop.
It's just more comfortable. Also, I hate it when the formats are changed midstream with this or anime.
Finish it at least in xvid as you've made it available in that format until now.

I've been waiting for Kuuga to come back and hopefully be completed as well as Agito.
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: All Sentai
Dreamy: To many to list!
Favorite Actor?: To many to list
Favorite Band: Van Canto
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: ASIAN GIRLS!
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Jake: "Hit it."

Post by Lunchboxx »

I'm a bit iffy on this switch. I have a REALLY crappy computer, and I cannot afford to upgrade anytime soon.(Trying to get into job corp since nobody is hiring unemployed people.)

I can't view HD vids, as they become extremly choppy and distorted.

So if the switch is made on the SD vids, and they become choppy as well, then fuck. :x

I mean perhaps if you guys release a test video with the change for everybody to view, then perhaps you can help those who do end up getting choppy results.

BTW I use VLC and nothing else.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Cat-Scratch wrote:I'm asking for the xvids to be continued for much the same reason as others have said.
I tend to watch from a burned to dvd on my dvd deck for comfort, rather then watch it from a laptop.
It's just more comfortable. Also, I hate it when the formats are changed midstream with this or anime.
Finish it at least in xvid as you've made it available in that format until now.

I've been waiting for Kuuga to come back and hopefully be completed as well as Agito.
For most people with ancient DVD players solution is going to be transcoding. Handbrake can quickly transcode H.264 files to MPEG-4 files, which would allow you to watch it on your DVD player. Admittedly it's a bit of an extra step, but in the long run it makes more sense for TVN to distribute shows at a higher quality, especially since virtually everything can play SD H.264 these days.

Takenoko: Looking at your Kuuga encode, I'd make one suggestion and pose one question. Suggestion: Reduce the resolution from 720x400 to 640x360. Devices that can only play SD H.264 are going to be picky about that. Question: Have you guys considered H.264 High Profile versus Main Profile? The former of course is higher quality, but the latter is more compatible. Traditionally you don't see High profile used for SD content.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

We aren't going to do High Profile (Hi10p or 10-bit x264) at this time. We aren't going to sacrifice compatibly with external devices for the quality boost.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Phoenix512 wrote:We aren't going to do High Profile (Hi10p or 10-bit x264) at this time. We aren't going to sacrifice compatibly with external devices for the quality boost.
High Profile (HiP) and High Profile w/10bit Color (Hi10P) are very different beasts. I'm not suggesting you use Hi10P; what I'm asking about is HiP versus Main Profile (MP). Especially since Kuuga was encoded using HiP, which means it's not going to be compatible with devices that can only handle MP.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Lunchboxx wrote:
I would suggest trying a different player to see if you get better results. I use GOM personally.
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Post by Lunchboxx »

Lunagel wrote:
Lunchboxx wrote:
I would suggest trying a different player to see if you get better results. I use GOM personally.
I'm using my wii atm, but next time I get on my computer I'll download it and test a hd video.
XIII
The Conspiracy
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

ViRGE wrote:
Phoenix512 wrote:We aren't going to do High Profile (Hi10p or 10-bit x264) at this time. We aren't going to sacrifice compatibly with external devices for the quality boost.
High Profile (HiP) and High Profile w/10bit Color (Hi10P) are very different beasts. I'm not suggesting you use Hi10P; what I'm asking about is HiP versus Main Profile (MP). Especially since Kuuga was encoded using HiP, which means it's not going to be compatible with devices that can only handle MP.
I cant think of anything that is only MP compatible, the PS3/360/XBMC are all compatible with HP, all Blu-Ray players will be compatible since its a given standard of h.264, GOM/VLC/MPC-HC (heck even WMP with the right codecs installed) will work with it, I just dont see what devices would not be compatible with our releases.

For us its easier to use the same settings to ensure that we keep compatibility issues to a minimum, as we dont really want to be trying to troubleshoot a h.264 issue between different versions as getting details of the issue out of forum people is like trying to get blood from a stone at times.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Azazel wrote:I cant think of anything that is only MP compatible, the PS3/360/XBMC are all compatible with HP, all Blu-Ray players will be compatible since its a given standard of h.264, GOM/VLC/MPC-HC (heck even WMP with the right codecs installed) will work with it, I just dont see what devices would not be compatible with our releases.
I'm primarily thinking of mobile devices here such as tablets, but also the Apple TV 2. From Apple: "H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): Up to 5 Mbps, Progressive Main Profile (CAVLC) with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats"

It's only on the more recent devices (iPad 2, Apple TV 3) that High Profile is supported. First generation Android tablets devices that use SoCs such as Tegra 2 have similar limitations.

If you guys don't care about these devices that's fine, I just wanted to point that out (like I said this isn't a suggestion, I'm just noting it hasn't been discussed). Though regardless Take should still keep the width to 640 because not everything is forgiving about 720 pixel wide "SD" content.
XIII
The Conspiracy

Post by XIII »

You also forgot that Apple TV 2 only supports h.264 level 3.1, which is why its not a device that we support with our releases, its very doubtful we will ever change the methods to support that device. Apple TV 3 should be compatible these days.

The first gen tablets are already dying out and not really applicable anymore, plus the mobile world changes that fast, we would have to constantly adapt our compatibility to keep up with the changes, its best to keep our current settings and allow the mobile market to catch up, which will probably be before the end of the year with the current fast development rate, and given the Nexus 7 is likely to shake up the whole android tablet development.

If a device supports h.264 it should be able to support the 720 wide file as they would likely support upto 1920 wide, but more than likely 1280 wide, I guess it also depends on how they have implemented h.264 playback since not everyone likes to follow the full industry standard on playback, personally I would rather keep it at 720, failing that 704 since that has worked well for so long, falling back to 640 seems like a giant step back, plus it would look worse on a large TV when it is upscalled by the player, should you be watching on a TV.
Cat-Scratch
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Den-O
Favorite Band: Depeche Mode
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Sanity is for the something or other.
Insanity is like vanilla ice-cream.
Whut?

Post by Cat-Scratch »

I keep thinking, if you have to ask the question, then you already have the answer.
ViRGE wrote:
Cat-Scratch wrote:I'm asking for the xvids to be continued for much the same reason as others have said.

For most people with ancient DVD players solution is going to be transcoding. Handbrake can quickly transcode H.264 files to MPEG-4 files, which would allow you to watch it on your DVD player. Admittedly it's a bit of an extra step, but in the long run it makes more sense for TVN to distribute shows at a higher quality, especially since virtually everything can play SD H.264 these days.

Takenoko: Looking at your Kuuga encode, I'd make one suggestion and pose one question. Suggestion: Reduce the resolution from 720x400 to 640x360. Devices that can only play SD H.264 are going to be picky about that. Question: Have you guys considered H.264 High Profile versus Main Profile? The former of course is higher quality, but the latter is more compatible. Traditionally you don't see High profile used for SD content.
It doesn't play MP4s either. Wish it did, but it doesn't.

The existing xvid encodes and resolutions are working for me.
XIII
The Conspiracy

Post by XIII »

he meant MPEG-2, which is the DVD format, which is then wrapped up in the VOB container

Edit: Kuuga plays fine on my Xperia Arc CM9 with no issues, given that is fairly old in tech terms, most devices will be able to play them
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Azazel wrote:he meant MPEG-2, which is the DVD format, which is then wrapped up in the VOB container
No, I meant MPEG-4 (ASP), which is what XviD is. :wink:
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander

Post by Lunchboxx »

Downloaded GOMplayer, and a HDvideo of Go-Busters, all it did was give me a black screen, then the blue screen of death for about 5 seconds then crashes.

I'm sticking with SD videos, I dont care for quality as long as I can tell what's happening and can tell what they are saying. So if this upgrade in SD videos make them choppy for me, then I'm gonna have to take my viewing elsewhere and forget about Tvnihon.

Sorry but it's the truth. :|
XIII
The Conspiracy

Post by XIII »

SD wont be a large strain on your system like HD is, less data to process, less chance of it fucking up

perhaps you should try the new kuuga releases instead of trying HD which you know you cant play, no need to stack it up against yourself
and yes Kuuga is in SD res, just done with h.264

Return to “Tech Support”