264 format for stuff without HD?

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above

264 encoding for SD-Only conent would...

...mean I can't watch the shows at all.
16%
...mean I'd be able to watch it, but it'd be choppy or not play properly.
22%
...be fine since I can play the HD version perfectly well.
62%

Total votes: 73
Psychosilver
There are four lights!
There are four lights!
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkengers
Dreamy: Yanagisawa Nana
Favorite Actor?: Renn Kiriyama
Favorite Band: Abingdon Boys School
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Tenshin DAA!!!!
Quote: “As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do.”
- Zachary Scott

Re: 264 format for stuff without HD?

Post by Psychosilver »

Azazel wrote:Psychosilver, what player are you using for play back? kind would help for tech purposes if you could provide more details as it can help us narrow down faults and determine what is at fault.
Oh right. . . derr. . . I feel silly. lol. I forgot the exact name, but I watch it on this Western Digital HDTV video player thing.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

We still need to know the exact brand name so we can see the specs on it. Any reason why don't you play the files on your PC?
deathzero
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by deathzero »

wow im amazed by how aggressive the arguements were. this is more or less what im hearing

A: upgrade dammit! ur tech is outdated!
B: do i really have to?

i watch HD so this has absolutely nothing to do with me. I find things like "ur tv sux coz it can only watch divx, go buy a dvd player" really offensive. I too have a dvd player that only plays divx so i watch my HD on my com. what u guys r forgetting is that we are all from different parts of the world and money or technology might not come by as easy as for some other people. my question to A is "do u even watch sd? or do u just want to put ur tech savviness out there".
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Actually it does involve you if you're watching stuff where's no HD source (DVD only specials or older series).
Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Dreamy: Nozama
Favorite Actor?: Takehito Koyasu
Favorite Band: 765 Productions
My boom: Robots. Always.

Post by Magenta »

deathzero wrote:wow im amazed by how aggressive the arguements were. this is more or less what im hearing

A: upgrade dammit! ur tech is outdated!
B: do i really have to?

i watch HD so this has absolutely nothing to do with me. I find things like "ur tv sux coz it can only watch divx, go buy a dvd player" really offensive. I too have a dvd player that only plays divx so i watch my HD on my com. what u guys r forgetting is that we are all from different parts of the world and money or technology might not come by as easy as for some other people. my question to A is "do u even watch sd? or do u just want to put ur tech savviness out there".
When the quality of what you're putting out is being significantly held back by having to cater to that old tech, though, you have to start considering where the balance is between quality and compatibility. It's not like they're advocating 10-bit or anything here, this is technology that pretty much any device being produced should be capable of playing, along with any PC made within the last like, 6-7 years.

It's basically equivalent to complaining you have to buy a PS3 to play PS3 games and why can't they just make them for PS2. Technology moves on and I think one cannot expect it to be held back for one's own sake, regardless of the reasoning behind it.
ima sugu shutsudoukable
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

Psychosilver wrote:
Azazel wrote:Psychosilver, what player are you using for play back? kind would help for tech purposes if you could provide more details as it can help us narrow down faults and determine what is at fault.
Oh right. . . derr. . . I feel silly. lol. I forgot the exact name, but I watch it on this Western Digital HDTV video player thing.
having looked at the specs on their website, it appears as thou the device should support the encodes we do, which are High Profile Level 4.1 (pretty much industry standard)

The only aspect that I can think of is that something has changed within h.264 to break the compatibility with that device, I dont know if its possible, but can the firmware on those boxes be updated? or is it just one of those things that is sold and thats it?

Not being overly familiar with such things, I cant really figure out what could cause the issue, is it a local HDD that you have plugged in or are you streaming over wifi/LAN?
If its over WiFi then I would say that would be the cause, G based WiFi doesnt really handle HD streams too well as the bandwidth isnt really there and it degrades quite abit the more you move away from it, along with any walls in between the devices
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Psychosilver
There are four lights!
There are four lights!
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkengers
Dreamy: Yanagisawa Nana
Favorite Actor?: Renn Kiriyama
Favorite Band: Abingdon Boys School
My boom: Tenshin DAA!!!!
Quote: “As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do.”
- Zachary Scott

Post by Psychosilver »

Azazel wrote: having looked at the specs on their website, it appears as thou the device should support the encodes we do, which are High Profile Level 4.1 (pretty much industry standard)

The only aspect that I can think of is that something has changed within h.264 to break the compatibility with that device, I dont know if its possible, but can the firmware on those boxes be updated? or is it just one of those things that is sold and thats it?

Not being overly familiar with such things, I cant really figure out what could cause the issue, is it a local HDD that you have plugged in or are you streaming over wifi/LAN?
If its over WiFi then I would say that would be the cause, G based WiFi doesnt really handle HD streams too well as the bandwidth isnt really there and it degrades quite abit the more you move away from it, along with any walls in between the devices
I don't have it on wifi, but I can plug it up LAN, but it's a serious hassle only having one ethernet port on my computer, and router and such. I still have the box for the device and it says that it should support it. You are correct. And like I said, it's usually TVNihon stuff that gets wonky, alongside some exceptions. I am not sure if it can be updated. I should surely try it. Could it be the tv???

And I could watch it on my computer, but I have a small monitor, and I like to watch it on the big screen. And i'm not fighting against the idea of the change. I adapt, like anybody that has been able to find this website and watch the shows on it should be able to, have at least a little computer abilities. I just was voicing an opinion that was given in the poll, and seeing if there was a solution.

Furthermore, I HIGHLY appreciate the help that this site has given (or at the very least tried, since I or we haven't come to a solid conclusion,) me on my issues. Thank you guys.

I was intimidated, even after 4 years of watching your subs to actually join the site, thinking that I wasn't too. . . Deep in the fandom (for lack of a better phrase). A lot of what I saw in the forums was very formal (in a good way) and straight forward, more so than some forums that I have been in. You all have made me feel welcomed by the warm. . . . helpiness that you have offered me.

Again. Thank you.
DeathStalker77
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Ultraman (Original)
2nd Favorite Series: Garo
Dreamy: Cutie Honey
Favorite Actor?: Takashi Sorimachi
Favorite Band: Motorhead
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Remember, wherever you go ... there you are.

Post by DeathStalker77 »

Until there are stand alone DVD player (commonly available!) that play x264, PLEASE do not do this.

Many of us do not own BR players (I refuse to give in to a new, and temporary, format when I have no intention of ever buying a BRD).

XVIDs can *easily* be upscaled on a DVD or BR player, making no difference in the image viewed, only a PITA (Pain In The @$$) for those of us who would be forced to re-encode it.

For those who want other than XVID, you still have you choice of HD. x264 is more suitable for HD anyway (IMO).

I do not watch videos on my computer - that is what I have a 67" HD TV for!

Honestly, I see there as being ZERO advantages in using x264 over XVID for SD titles - only those who want to be argumentative for the sake of being argumentative would say otherwise.

Thank you, and thank you for all the group does for the anime world! :)
XIII
The Conspiracy

Post by XIII »

DVD Players wont ever support it since its a different format and a different set of licence agreements

I wouldnt call it a temp format, its making inroads and is becoming more dominant, helped by the fact it comes as standard on the PS3

The advantage of using h.264 over XviD is great, the picture quality will go upwards, to illustrate

XviD

h.264

Now if you cant see the difference between the two, you need your eyes testing,

h.264 is just the better modern codec, XviD is over 10 years old now and its past it for providing good quality files on output

I dont watch on the PC, nor do I have a PC in the conventional sense attached to my TV, I have a HTPC running OpenElec software, with the introduction of the Raspberry Pi devices anybody will be able to afford a HTPC to attach to their TV to play back files, and I do mean anybody as it costs less than $30 and is capable of 1080p h.264 output natively, oh and with that you can get an app on Android and iOS devices that allows you to control the software, certainly a more modern way of doing things

The world of providing video files to the masses is changing and h.264 is the way forward, TheScene has decided to ditch XviD as well, so its not just us thats wanting to make changes, its time for people to start living in the real world instead of shunning away from changes.
DeathStalker77
Favorite series: Ultraman (Original)
2nd Favorite Series: Garo
Dreamy: Cutie Honey
Favorite Actor?: Takashi Sorimachi
Favorite Band: Motorhead
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Remember, wherever you go ... there you are.

Post by DeathStalker77 »

I suppose you're right, and the change is inevitable - doesn't mean I like change ;)

Yes, I *do* see the difference in the images there. Somehow never noticed it.

I've got one of the WD Media Players, but just haven't gotten the damned thing working yet :(
GomenRider
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by GomenRider »

Azazel wrote: The advantage of using h.264 over XviD is great, the picture quality will go upwards, to illustrate

XviD
[ Image ]

h.264
[ Image ]

Now if you cant see the difference between the two, you need your eyes testing,
Oh, I can see the difference all right, in the sense that you didn't even use the same frame for this comparison. That blocking is on the XviD shot is almost certainly an artifact of the DVD source itself, which won't be fixed simply by changing codecs. Further, if you can't be bothered to cap the same frame for both versions, why should anybody assume you're using the same filter chain on both? Perhaps you're deblocking the h.264 but not the XviD. Perhaps you're intentionally hampering the XviD.

I even support moving to as much h.264 as possible, as fast as possible, but with comparisons like this you seem more like a snake oil peddler than a guy who has the facts on his side.
XIII
The Conspiracy

Post by XIII »

it was only a brief comparison from when I was working on encoding it, its not an artifact from the DVD, the DVD source all be it shit is flawless, the issue arises from how XviD encodes which is in squares, h.264 uses multi hexagonal with frame by frame comparison to ensure blocking does not occur, I can cap new pics if your that desperate to dismiss the above, but it will just show exactly the same thing, oh I can also think of another frame that would also illustrate my point perfectly
FortMax
Favorite series: Gridman
2nd Favorite Series: Dynaman (dub)
My boom: Your mom

Post by FortMax »

Azazel wrote: XviD
[ Image ]
Azazel wrote:h.264
[ Image ]
Kamen_Rider_Chojin
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto

Post by Kamen_Rider_Chojin »

Will the 264/mp4 SD format work fine for those who watch the releases on they're tv's through they're xbox 360's?
Nemet
Go Go!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Black
2nd Favorite Series: Carranger
Dreamy: Owner
Favorite Actor?: Bruce Campbell
Favorite Band: Rubber
My boom: CCNA Acronyms @.@
Quote: "A smile is a curve that sets everything straight." --Phyllis Diller

Post by Nemet »

Kamen_Rider_Chojin wrote:Will the 264/mp4 SD format work fine for those who watch the releases on they're tv's through they're xbox 360's?
I find that H.264 encoded stuff plays a lot better on my 360 than the current encoding we use. It'll work just fine.

Return to “Tech Support”