720p reduction

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: 720p reduction

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I agree with the "It's 2013, quit being cheap and get a computer or media player made for the 21st century" argument. I've used a 2008-2009 Acer Netbook to play HD files, I've used a 2007 Toshiba 2gb ram intel core 2 duo to play HD, and of course new HP and Apple laptops to play HD. Anything made since at least 2007 should be able to handle HD files. My experience has been with 720p and 1080p on these machines. I only download 720p when the 1080 isn't available (like in the event of Kyoryuger last week).
Also, I used a slower 1.5-3Mbps (the speed varied, I don't know why) DSL connection downloading these files before switching to 8-10Mbps cable internet.
And by no means am I rich or necessarily "well off", I just know how to budget money to get what I want.

I easily stream 1080p from my Macbook Air to my Apple TV and it plays even more beautifully on my 720p tv than the 720p option does.

Personally, if nothing else, at least keep Garo's 1080p option. It's the only series that I keep the episodes for.

Which brings a question to mind: How many of you REALLY go back and rewatch the shows? The reason I stopped saving them is because I -NEVER- rewatch anything but Garo and Cutie Honey the Live.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
rizeveedramon
Gao
Favorite series: Den-O/Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kuuga/Magiranger
Dreamy: Ranru
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFJ Counselor

Fourze Movie Director's Cut released

Post by rizeveedramon »

...you can't be serious right? About discontinuing 720p releases. Like...August Fools? I know my opinion on this means absolutely nothing, but this is pretty saddening. And out of simple laziness? Don't get me wrong...I'm a loyal T-N fan through and through and I could never express my gratitude for making freely accessible fansubs for toku. I also understand that you do this in your freetime and you're allowed to do what you want, as you hold no obligation to us...but holy crap man. I just hope you reconsider, that's all. I would really rather not have to rely on a certain other group's americanized subs if I don't have to. This is such a sad thing to come home to.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I re-watch shows, but I have a separate 2 TB external for storing them, a luxury that others may not have.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Saejima Kouga wrote:Which brings a question to mind: How many of you REALLY go back and rewatch the shows?
While I do have a {320GB} External HD, I was considering burning some shows to DVD for this very purpose.
rizeveedramon
Gao

Post by rizeveedramon »

I do. I have three 1TB externals that I keep all of my toku and selected anime on. They cost like 80 bucks each, so I'd rather not have to fill them up any quicker than I have to. I say ditch 480p instead. This is 2013, no one needs that. Either that or get rid of 1080, because there's very little difference on a normal sized computer. Or you could do 720p exclusively, because that's even less work. It's balanced in quality and size.
Grendizer
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Boukenger
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: LASAGNA
Quote: Deadpool: My common sense is tingling

Post by Grendizer »

I like your 720p releases, that's what I always download. If they aren't available I will be sad but that's just life, I will watch the SD version.
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

I say keep the SD releases for those with limited hard-drive capacities and I guess get rid of the 720p releases. I actually have dled more 720p releases than 1080p and that's because of the size difference especially in movies. But hey, if I had to get rid of one, I would get rid of 720p and go for the 1080p. The difference in quality is usually noticeable in the movies as well but not much for the TV shows.
arromdee
Go Go!

Post by arromdee »

I have a 1.5 mbit connection and I typically play them on a 1280x1024 monitor. 720p is exactly the right size for such a monitor; 1080 is pointless and would be a waste of download time with such a slow connection.

I store them and other fansubs on double-layer recordable DVDs rather than using a second drive.

I've also occasionally watched them on a tablet when travelling. My tablet does 720p okay, but would fail on the 1080p. (Remember that tablets are slower than netbooks.)

I think the first thing you should do is figure out if the source material was actually created in 1080p and broadcast with a full 1080 pixels of resolution. A lot of animation is only created in 720p anyway even though it's broadcast at 1080p. I don't know if this applies to live action material as well.
MarcosPMA
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Ahim
Favorite Actor?: Masaki Suda
My boom: Penguins :3
Quote: Sekia wo sore o Ai to Yubun da ze!

Post by MarcosPMA »

I personally prefer 1080p over 720p, but I could go back from 1080p to 720p if I had to. I wouldn't want to go back to SD though XD

I'd say cut the 720p cuz the difference isn't that great compared to 1080p (for me it means that I can fullscreen 1080p and not lose quality whereas the 720p will lose a little bit.) and the SD is fine for those who are using older machines. If it weren't for my old laptop breaking, I'd still be using that one, and that one is from around 2006 XD

In the end, it doesn't really matter to me. Whatever you guys put out I'll still watch, regardless if it's HD or SD. (This being said, please keep Garo at 1080p!)
SPACE KITA!!!!!!!!!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Ahh the issue of resolutions. This is always fun. :P

For what it's worth, I regularly grab the 1080p versions of the movies and other BD source material, but only the 720p versions of the weekies and other HDTV source material. 1080p is unquestionably my preferred resolution so long as the quality is there. But with the weeklies, 1080i on MPEG-2 is so overcompressed at times that there's quite a bit of macroblocking occurring to keep up with the action. Consequently I cannot look at a 1080p and 720p TVN weekly encodes side-by-side and tell you which one is better; the quality just isn't there to fully exploit 1080p. TV Asahi may as well be broadcasting in 720p in the first place.

With that said, if TVN is going to cut one of the resolutions then cutting 720p is the right choice. If you want to do the same two resolutions across all of your releases, then obviously we want to keep 1080p encodes for the BDs. And as antiquated as it is to not have a device capable of playing H.264 HD these days, there are clearly enough people out there that cutting the SDs would be a bad idea.

Otherwise if you're willing to switch things up and be slightly inconsistent, given the current broadcast quality I think SD + 720p for weeklies, and SD + 1080p for movies/BDs would be the best way to go. This way we get the best quality on the sources that offer it, while not wasting space trying to encode for 1080p on broadcast sources that can't really offer it.
Corro
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Corro »

Personally i always go for the 1080p versions and only ever go for lower quality if it's all that's available, usually i'm watching stuff on a 1080 monitor sitting less than a meter away so I tend to find the difference between 720 and 1080 pretty noticeable and as far as future-proofing goes i do think it would be a real shame to get rid of 1080. Between SD and 720 i'd have to say get rid of whichever get's the least downloads i don't think the difference in size is that big a problem between the two, my internet connection is fairly bad, at least for where i live and constantly drops but i don't have any trouble downloading 1080s.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Fourze Movie Director's Cut released

Post by takenoko »

>...you can't be serious right? About discontinuing 720p releases. Like...August Fools? I know my opinion on this means absolutely nothing, but this is pretty saddening. And out of simple laziness?

Well no, that's a pretty ungenerous way of phrasing it. Like I said it's a genuine resource drain. Time is a finite resource that we have. Harddrive space is a finite resource. Bandwidth isn't finite, but it's still a resource. If this weren't a problem on the back end, we obviously wouldn't be making this decision. But doing three releases is causing problems and extra work on our side that may not be obvious.

For what it's worth, it's pretty easy to ask for more when someone else does the work for it and you get it for free, right? I don't want to pull out the guilt card, but let's keep this in perspective here.

Would it help if I explained the reasoning?

HD 1080 and HD 720 are both HD, but it's redundant to have two high quality versions. It would make more sense to just do the 1080 version since in the long run, shit's going to get faster. Computer's will get more power and I'm pretty sure our stuff plays on video game consoles.

So keep the 1080 HD for longevity purposes. The SD for people who have weaker machines or bandwidth caps.

And also, if someone were to upload the 1080 to youtube or stream it somewhere, you could probably adjust the quality rating to match whatever you needed. If you're downloading the file, I think it'd be safe to assume that you can handle a 1080p version.
rizeveedramon
Gao

Re: Fourze Movie Director's Cut released

Post by rizeveedramon »

takenoko wrote:If you're downloading the file, I think it'd be safe to assume that you can handle a 1080p version.
But that's not true at all. 1080p video not only takes up an ungodly amount of space for a barely noticeable quality change, but they don't play correctly on my computer. It lags and blocks, whereas I have no issue with 720p releases. I'm sure many others are in the same boat. I seriously don't see how the 1080 version is more valuable than the 720, at least for TV shows. The difference is practically imperceptible. You seem to be assuming that computers are either horrible or powerful, when in reality it's an entire spectrum of capabilities. 720 is the most balanced and accessible, and you'd get far less complaints.
Philip753
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Quote: "...Yet by the blade of Knights, mankind was given hope."

Post by Philip753 »

I normally download SD. Shows get burned to dvd so they can be shared with friends and family elsewhere. I can download faster than I have time to make dvds and share them, so I have backlog and I keep everything, in case I need to remake a dvd to give to someone else.

I have had problems with some of the older SDs when converting (Kiva), so I have download HD (720 if I had a choice) to convert/burn to dvd. HD takes a lot longer for conversion, so I'm not switching to it in the foreseeable future - if I have a choice.

So it would make my life easier to keep SD.

HD, I have no strong opinion either way - though the person who suggested different resolutions for tv and movies seemed to have a good suggestion, but I'm not in a position to verify the reasoning.
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

I've been sticking with SD for the weeklies since I just watch them on my monitor - also 1280x1024. With the recent Garo series I got both the 720 and 1080 for a bit. I couldn't tell a difference on my monitor and on my TV (which isn't 1080p but rather 1080i, or in other words 720+) I couldn't really either. Since the 720 downloads faster I just kept with that. (On the other hand my Galaxy S4 is actually 1080p so I should experiment with comparing them on that...)

But anyway I think 480 definitely has a place and that is for people wanting a quick watch with minimal storage space. As far as which HD option to keep I think someone above had a good suggestion: tv rips 720, true blue ray source 1080.

Return to “Tech Support”