720p reduction

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above
magma_blaziken
Adventure

Re: 720p reduction

Post by magma_blaziken »

"HD 1080 and HD 720 are both HD"
Thats the reason I go for 720. The size difference vs the extra quality one might not notice.
We also have hard drives that are running out of space and 150MB less to download makes it finish faster so I can start watching sooner.
Personally I'd rather drop SD cause anyone today should be able to at least minimally play 720 smoothly.
Plus, 720 are downloaded more than SD.
Perhaps for space saving we should go for the 10bit discussion (Not really sure about this)
neonkenji21
Infinity
Favorite series: DekaRanger
2nd Favorite Series: MagiRanger
Dreamy: Mele....
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: DekaRanger Cosplay!!

Post by neonkenji21 »

I'd vote first to keep the SD, I'm one of those who has slow internet connection, and has limited space in my harddrive (well, at least in the PC that I use to download it; I have a 1TB external as well). I only go HD whenever I download the movie releases.

As per the main debate, in my honest opinion, we can maintain the 720p, that's also the resolution that I used when I downloaded the movies like Gokaiger vs Gavan and Gavan the Movie. I also download the 1st ep of every series with an HD release in 720p as well; it's easy on the harddrive space, but will still give good quality. :D

**again, this is just my opinion. :D
hinomars19
Go Go!
Favorite Actor?: Kitagawa keiko
Favorite Band: Koda Kumi
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: Yui Koike is like a kitten wrapped in cotton wool eating candyfloss. This cannot be disputed. You try, I flip your table (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Re: Fourze Movie Director's Cut released

Post by hinomars19 »

takenoko wrote:>...you can't be serious right? About discontinuing 720p releases. Like...August Fools? I know my opinion on this means absolutely nothing, but this is pretty saddening. And out of simple laziness?

Well no, that's a pretty ungenerous way of phrasing it. Like I said it's a genuine resource drain. Time is a finite resource that we have. Harddrive space is a finite resource. Bandwidth isn't finite, but it's still a resource. If this weren't a problem on the back end, we obviously wouldn't be making this decision. But doing three releases is causing problems and extra work on our side that may not be obvious.

For what it's worth, it's pretty easy to ask for more when someone else does the work for it and you get it for free, right? I don't want to pull out the guilt card, but let's keep this in perspective here.
Well said. I find it sad that this topic has turned into people bragging about their genital extensions (excuse the phrase, I've tried to make it a little more decent...) rather than understanding you guys have a problem that needs a solution. Many of us have limited resource in this area, regardless of what year is on the calendar. From what I've read here 1080's seem like a luxury for luxury's sake on the weeklies. I third the person who said 720 for weeklies and 1080 for stuff that comes from Blu-Rays. That's common sense talking, and actually tries to address your problem.
I for one am grateful for the work you guys do-an SD quality release on a crappy laptop is more than I had before I found you guys and started downloading these shows, with the painstaking sub work that you do to boot.
Urukazuto
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Amazon
2nd Favorite Series: Garo
Quote: Whatever

Post by Urukazuto »

For My case it's like . . . . . . . .
Because from all of your release I always Download 720p version (both TV series or Movie BD rips) SO my opinion keep it.....
because on my opinion 480p not worth it and 1080p is too big for filesize.... and again it;s just my opnion...
jolly_old_saint
Faiz
Favorite series: Gumby
2nd Favorite Series: Dengekibikifaizenger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by jolly_old_saint »

I'm in the "smaller the better" camp. But then I have a small penis.
otarolgam

Post by otarolgam »

Keep 480p and 720p. Drop 1080 on weeklies.

It's a space/time/resource hog.
ShadowThePika
Adventure
Favorite series: Kamen Rider OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Akibaranger season 1
Dreamy: GokaiYellow
Favorite Band: Crush 40
My boom: Sonic Adventure 2
Quote: "It all starts with this. A jewel containing the ultimate power."

Post by ShadowThePika »

Honestly, I loved 720p and wished i used em sooner. They have all the benefits of 1080p, but without eating up a shit ton of space, and i can play it on my laptop, unlike 1080p. I really dont see any difference between 720 and 1080. I'd rather have the 720p and get rid of either SD or 1080p
what people want to do to me after talking to me...

http://www.youtube.com/shadowthepika, for whenever I post content on it.
FortMax
Favorite series: Gridman
2nd Favorite Series: Dynaman (dub)
My boom: Your mom

Post by FortMax »

The HD broadcasts being 1080i is not a problem, as you can easily reconstruct the 1080p frames when encoding. Heck, even interlaced material is stored as progressive frames in mpeg2.

In addition to the blocking caused by bandwidth constraints, terrestrial 1080i broadcasts are almost always anamorphic. The picture transmitted is 1440x1080, and the TV stretches it to 1920x1080. Since your 1080p releases are encoded at 1920x1080, you're waiting bandwidth to encode pixels that don't exist. mp4 supports anamorphic video, so using it would give you smaller file sizes, or since you seem to encode to a target size, use those bits on pixels that are in the source.
narya100
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Busters
Dreamy: Nadeshiko
My boom: Kyouryuu Theme
Quote: I will always stretch out my hand...
Type: INFP Healer

Post by narya100 »

I happen to agree with those above. I may have just joined the forum, but i've been watching TN subs for a long while now. The weekly shows at 720. BR rips at 1080p. I don't mind one way or the other about 480p rips, but i understand their purpose. And the 1080 rips are large, and that would save file space, especially in archive form.
Completed Kamen Riders: Kiva, Den-O, Decade, Double, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
Completed Sentai: Magiranger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, Go-Busters, Kyoryuger
Completed Other: Shougeki Gouraigan

Current Series: Tokkyuger, Gaim, Garo, Garo: Makai no Hana
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

My opinion, 480 and 1080 are fine. I never download the 720 when a 1080 is available. If you're streaming to your PS3. Why can't you just directly plug the HDD in to compensate? Then return the HDD when you need to transfer stuff. Or just send the files directly to the PS3. And space is really a problem for people? When 1080 is only 200MB more than 720. Now I get it for the people who have weak laptops. My cheap $400 laptop can play 1080 files fine. You should just upgrade. It's not even that expensive to get a machine that can play 1080 stuff fine.
hinomars19
Go Go!
Favorite Actor?: Kitagawa keiko
Favorite Band: Koda Kumi
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: Yui Koike is like a kitten wrapped in cotton wool eating candyfloss. This cannot be disputed. You try, I flip your table (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Post by hinomars19 »

archer9234 wrote:My opinion, 480 and 1080 are fine. I never download the 720 when a 1080 is available. If you're streaming to your PS3. Why can't you just directly plug the HDD in to compensate? Then return the HDD when you need to transfer stuff. Or just send the files directly to the PS3. And space is really a problem for people? When 1080 is only 200MB more than 720. Now I get it for the people who have weak laptops. My cheap $400 laptop can play 1080 files fine. You should just upgrade. It's not even that expensive to get a machine that can play 1080 stuff fine.
What part of TV-Nihon themselves running out of space are you not understanding?

And with all due respect you have no reason to assume you know how much money people have or what they can afford to put it towards. Only people with money have the right to watch FREE fansubs? $400 isn't cheap to some, I know, sadly. Please don't do that.
Gamera Ramen
Why are we all 15?
Why are we all 15?
Favorite series: Max, Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
Quote: If it wasn't for disappointment I wouldn't have any appointments
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by Gamera Ramen »

Personally I use the 720 whenever possible, as I watch on my laptop and very rarely on a bigger screen (and even when I do, the quality is easily enough for me to be happy with). I say drop the 1080, as it tends to have the lowest # of downloads and most of those who want it for quality will probably be able to settle for 720. Takes less space, too.
Keep 480 for those who have less space/a more archaic system.
dancercotillion wrote:I'm astounded how Kamen Rider manages to be a phenomenally great show every few years, considering it's a toy commercial for electronic pants-holders and plastic knives.
dancercotillion wrote: My OTP is Ryouma/his own reflection
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

FortMax wrote:In addition to the blocking caused by bandwidth constraints, terrestrial 1080i broadcasts are almost always anamorphic. The picture transmitted is 1440x1080
Just curious, do you have any sources on this? This is the first I've heard of this, and I can't find anything stating that ISDB is anamorphic.
Klanoyt
Mega
Favorite series: Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: All Kamen Riders
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Klanoyt »

I only download files in the 720p format. If there's none for that version, I'd get SD instead. I can live without 1080i since I'd prefer saving more space over "hardly noticeable" change in quality from 1080i versions. But if it gets dropped, I got no choice but move on and stick with SD. I just hope something else gets dropped off instead. :(
miryoku
Adventure
Quote: Blacking tosh.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by miryoku »

I say that drop the 1080p on weeklies and just do 1080p on Blurays just because the weeklies are just tvrips so it`s better that they came out in 720 and SD for the slow connection peoples.

Maybe i`m the odd one but i always have downloaded the things at the highest quality possible even though my pc couldn`t play them perfectly in the past just because i would watch them again when i had upgraded my pc, even with my old pc from 2005 i could play 1080p just fine :D

Return to “Tech Support”