720p reduction

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above
Dark Ren
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Zi-O
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Heeeennnssshhhiiiiiiinnn...!!!

720p reduction

Post by Dark Ren »

Awww... Man. No 720p. Most of weekly episodes got more downloads at 720p in your tracker. This is so sad.

on the the other hand, after watch it somehow I like the TC cut better. It feels like the DC version has many scenes that are not so important, though maybe watching it in SD affect my opinion :(. Like the credit though. Those photo galleries are so cool
Glamador
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Quote: "Ore Sanjou...by bike!"

Re: Fourze Movie Director's Cut released

Post by Glamador »

Why only 1080p? I know for a fact that US cable networks still don't even broadcast in 1080p, instead opting for 720p or 1080i w/ mpeg-2 compression. Does Japan have better standards than that? I know they're talking about broadcasting in 4K resolution over there (next year). But if that's not the case then why bother with anything above 720? Unless you guys get all of your raws from Blu-rays. But I very much doubt that since weeklies don't have hard media releases at the time the torrents are released.

Do you guys get true 1080p from broadcast recordings? If not I'd prefer 720p since it

A) takes up less space
B) is the native resolution on the TV in my room
C) is most likely the resolution that you get from the TV raws
D) would take up less space on your HDDs
and E) streams MUCH more consistently w/ PS3 media server on my router. 1080p just annihilates the buffer if I fastforward or rewind.

I've got every episode of Kamen Rider on one external, and I really don't need it taking up any more space since I keep everything in at least 2 locations (main HDD and minimum 1 external or DVD).

Give us some more info on your decision-making process here, please?
Viewed: X, Amazon, Black, Black RX, Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, OOO, W, Fourze
Watching: Wizard
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: 720p reduction

Post by takenoko »

Sure. It's just a big drain on time and harddrive space resources. The big thing at the moment is the person who does our seeding for us is running out of harddrive space. We've been dancing on the last few gigabytes for the last few weeks now. He's pretty important since he seeds all our torrents initially.

But the main problem is that it's a big time drain. Doing things a third time encoding, distroing, and for seeding during release is turning into a big chore. And then after the series is over we have to batch three sets of files. On a personal level, it'd be nice if I only had two sets of files to archive instead of three.

In the long run, it makes sense to cut out the 720 since quality people will download the 1080. And people whose computers aren't fast enough for the 1080 at least have the SD encode as a safety net. It's not an ideal situation, but it's something that we'll need to do sooner or later.

Edit: Just so it's clear, TV shows will still get all three releases, at least till Gaim starts. The Fourze movie DC is just a test for now
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W / GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger

Post by harpdevil »

I think it would make sense to drop the 1080p version to be honest. Unless your TV is massive, you can't even see the difference between 720 and 1080, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would prefer the smaller file sizes with no discernible difference.

More info here.
Image Demon beasts called Horrors live in the darkness. This is a story of a Makai Knight who cuts down the Horrors. You better not look away.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

1080p is what I prefer, my TV supports it, my Acer Revo (1.6GHz Dual Core with 2GB RAM with 256MB of that for the GPU) is more than capable of playing it, heck, it can even handle 1080p 3D playback, so saying you cant play 1080p on your PC is abit pointless if my little nettop can play it, your PC can play it, stop using old outdated players, use a modern decent player, and if you must know, I am running XBMC on the revo with streaming from my NAS box over a gig network, nothing high tech in what I do in the slightest.

I would be more than happy to see the back of SD encodes on stuff that has HD source, SD is the mos redundant of the 3 sizes now
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Would people prefer the SD version be dropped instead?
Ivanhobe
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Den-o
Dreamy: Hana-san
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Mortal Kombat
Quote: "Shut up and eat an umaboshi!" - Inui Takumi

Post by Ivanhobe »

Even though i am not involved in the process, i can totally see how cumberstone doing three releases can be, so if you do decide to drop one HD version then i am ok with it, though there are some issues.

When you are dealing with Blue-Ray Rips, then in that case i think its better if you just do the SD version and the 1080 HD version, since you are dealing with BD which are the best possible source, i don´t see the gain in doing the 720p version if the 1080 is available.

As for the weeklies, that´s when it gets trickier.

Weekly 1080p HD versions of the shows do take a lot of space, an average 50 episodes show can take 25 GB of HDD, and since these are usually TV rips then i would suggest that you drop the 1080 version for weeklies and keep releasing the SD and 720 HD versions as always.

Alternatively you could drop the SD version all together and only release the 720 and 1080 HD versions, i think that doing the SD/480p versions is more suitable for DVD Rips anyways. I know this is a bit extreme since a lot of people like SD, but this is 2013 goddamnit, if you can´t play 720p then you don´t deserve Toku*!!!

So in a nutshell, for releases with a BD source drop the 720 version, for weeklies drop the 1080 version, for DVD Rips keep the MP4 SD version and for anything Garo do the 1080 version ALL THE TIME.

*Excuse my attitude, i can´t help it since it is my personality.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

In my opinion I would rather keep the SD and drop the 720p.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

I download 1080p if it is available and prefer highest resolution available for any media i download. Being that said if there is a donation for a new harddrive just to keep 1080p I would also donate on that one but if it is gone due to demand I won't compain either as long as there is some sort of HD release be it 720p or whatever.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I suppose it all chalks up to the mass personal preference.

I think SD does need to be maintained, for those who have poor connections and/or limited storage space. I don't use SD personally because I don't like the quality.

As far as 720 vs 1080 goes, I suppose it would come down to mass preference? I'd vote keep 1080 (mainly because I use it).
JujinSan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japan
Quote: Whats done is done and cannot be undone

Post by JujinSan »

i personally download the 720p releases only. i agree that SD should remain for those that have slower connections and/or limited storage space.

as for 1080p vs 720p...i cant tell the difference between them but i would prefer 720p over 1080p for the smaller file size. i would rather a series take up 4-5 gigs rather then 25 gigs. just my two cents in this discussion.
Aka no Kenshi! MakaiRed! Kenpo Sentai Makaiger!
Glamador
Quote: "Ore Sanjou...by bike!"

Post by Glamador »

Ivanhobe wrote:When you are dealing with Blue-Ray Rips, then in that case i think its better if you just do the SD version and the 1080 HD version, since you are dealing with BD which are the best possible source, i don´t see the gain in doing the 720p version if the 1080 is available.

As for the weeklies, that´s when it gets trickier.

Weekly 1080p HD versions of the shows do take a lot of space, an average 50 episodes show can take 25 GB of HDD, and since these are usually TV rips then i would suggest that you drop the 1080 version for weeklies and keep releasing the SD and 720 HD versions as always.

So in a nutshell, for releases with a BD source drop the 720 version, for weeklies drop the 1080 version, for DVD Rips keep the MP4 SD version and for anything Garo do the 1080 version ALL THE TIME.
I agree with this guy. And to be clear, in my first post requesting explanation I wasn't iffy on the whole space vs. time encoding thing. I was suggesting you drop 1080p since it's not what you get from the TV rips anyway (to my understanding).

That chart that was posted above is very telling of the improvement from 720 to 1080. And that's not gibberish, it's studied and basically proven, with a detailed breakdown of when it makes a difference and when it doesn't.
Viewed: X, Amazon, Black, Black RX, Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, OOO, W, Fourze
Watching: Wizard
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

I find the 1080 releases really put my computer through its paces to display, so 720 is my preference to keep. Just in the original post of the thread, it's mentioned the 720s get the most downloads off the tracker. So I went and looked real cursorally at the Kyouryuuger stats, and 720's not always the one with the most downloads, true, but 1080 is almost always the one with the least, often by several hundred downloads.

I really do think, if one must be dropped, it should be the one people use least which seems to be 1080; you'll see the biggest reduction in size used by eliminating 1080 on the weeklies, at least. And at that point, maybe you can afford to splurge on the movie releases and have them in all three sizes for those who want the Cinematic Experience.
hinomars19
Go Go!
Favorite Actor?: Kitagawa keiko
Favorite Band: Koda Kumi
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: Yui Koike is like a kitten wrapped in cotton wool eating candyfloss. This cannot be disputed. You try, I flip your table (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Post by hinomars19 »

I would also like to keep the SD.

Anybody can play SD, whereas 1080 is limited to those with better tech and resources. If TV-Nihon want to stop 1080 because of it's hold on storage space, then I humbly request me and others like me have the same problem taken into account. I'm an artist, I work digitaly everyday. I recently got this new laptop, FOR WORK ONLY. I use my old laptop now simply for watching these releases. I stream what I can through media player to the ps3, but the poor thing won't handle HD. My sister watches them as well, so it's not like I can take a break and start using my work laptop for TV. I need this plugged into the tablet at my work desk all day. It's not an option to have it relied upon for fun, sadly.
I already have 2 externals full of this stuff, I don't want to buy a third anytime soon neither am I in a position to buy a third laptop so once a week I can watch 2 TV shows (sentai and Kamen rider), when I have been operating comfortably all this time.

It's nice to want and have the best quality, but for some of us life gets in the way of that. It's hard for some to understand that it seems, but ultimately I think SD should stay for as long as it's possible to have available. I haven't SEEN any quality problems anyway, I have a decent sized TV and I have had no complaints with anything I have watched.

Just another thought to consider. Ultimately whatever option happens somebody will have to change something about how they watch this, so whatever seems the most appropriate solution to a problem you guys are facing is what you choose.

Put simply, I vote keep the SD. I don't use either HD file, so it's not my place to suggest which of those is lost.
Ryouga
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Ryouga »

1080p wins, you already said there will be a place for people to do their own encodes so that takes care of the problem

I only have a 6 meg connection and have no problems with the larger file size and it future proofs things if you get a higher res tv or monitor in the future you would have to redownload all over again.

That being said I have a 42 inch plasma and notice little difference with TVN encodes though notice it on blu ray encodes online expecially animation.

Also as for the SD debate my dvd player or xbox with xbmc cannot play sds newer than a year since the change to mp4 since it has no codec support for it, the xbox though for some reason could play mp4's from a year ago or later too so it may just be a encoding thing.

Also I was hoping for TVN to have 1080p for a long time so would be a shame to lose it

Return to “Tech Support”