720p reduction

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above
qedins
Go Go!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Favorite Actor?: Riisa Naka
Favorite Band: L'arc en Ciel
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Quote: "Where's our eccentric?"
"I'm right here!"
"No. I mean sempai."
"Oh."

Re: 720p reduction

Post by qedins »

SD and 720p weeklies FTW
Masked Rider
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Shinkenyellow
Favorite Actor?: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Band: Ayumi Hamasaki
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Shadow Kick!!!

Post by Masked Rider »

Put me down for 1080p files all the time. If TV-Nihon is offering this as the optimum resolution, why deny myself? I need to catch all the details in the movie/TV episode, whether it's the suit design or a pimple on an actor's face.
FortMax
Favorite series: Gridman
2nd Favorite Series: Dynaman (dub)
My boom: Your mom

Post by FortMax »

ViRGE wrote:
FortMax wrote:In addition to the blocking caused by bandwidth constraints, terrestrial 1080i broadcasts are almost always anamorphic. The picture transmitted is 1440x1080
Just curious, do you have any sources on this? This is the first I've heard of this, and I can't find anything stating that ISDB is anamorphic.
http://pastie.org/private/nuo7inhtfeurh4xlnkvumw

http://i7.minus.com/ipkt62z76EQJ3.png

And same goes for the stuff I've encoded from broadcast .ts: JJBA, and early Hibiki (before I had DVD9 isos) Both were anamorphic.

The exceptions are satellite channels like BS Japan, which is what another group uses as their source for Garo specifically because that channel broadcasts in 1920x1080i.
DekaChief
IXA
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by DekaChief »

It makes way more sense to have 720p on weeklies and 1080p on Blu-ray sourced videos. You release more weeklies than you do Blu-ray sourced stuff, and the space a weekly 1080p file takes up will add up. This would save you more space on your end, but also help people save space on their end, and not everybody can go out and buy a 1-2 TB hard drive whenever they start running low on space from downloading releases. And like some have said a lot of the weeklies aren't even broadcast in 1080p, so you're not getting much of a boost in picture quality.
Spoiler
Peek a boo, Chuck Norris sees you! *roundhouse kick into oblivion*
DekaBreak
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Favorite Actor?: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japanese Language
Quote: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by DekaBreak »

It comes down to a balance between storage, quality and compatibility. 1080p for weeklies is a bit too much. If one ep is like 500MB, then when we have an entire series, not counting movies, that'd be 25GB. The 720p weekly is around 370MB. A full series will be 18GB. That alone is a huge difference of 7GB. I am a 720p downloader, but it's compulsory that I watch movies in 1080p. For the sake of those people whose systems cannot play HD because of compatibility, the SD must not be dropped. The 1080p, while it is a really good product, is unnecessary. We didn't have 1080p for years, and no one complained. The 1080p request was just a possibility that was requested to be explored, and for almost a year, it has been. Now it has come to our attention that it is putting a strain on resources. We also see that 7GB is a big difference that takes up more than 1% of the average 500GB HDD. I think that if one has to go, it has to be the 1080p. The 1080p to 720p downgrade is something that 1080p downloaders will be able to endure because of their availability of storage. But a compulsory shift to 1080p is not something that not all HD viewers can handle. A downgrade from HD to SD seems to severe should the 720p go, compared to the 1080p to 720p downgrade. At this point, TV-Nihon has 2 options. Run an extended donation drive from now on to raise resources to sustain all three versions, or drop the 1080p. The SD and 720p are somewhat compulsory.

Just my two cents worth.
KamenSentaiDigiman
Favorite series: Gokaiger, Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: W, OOO, Busters
Dreamy: Luka from Gokaiger
Favorite Actor?: Yuki Yamada
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Kamen Rider Den-O
Quote: "Always, NEVER GIVE UP!" - Sonar Pocket

Post by KamenSentaiDigiman »

This is a tough thing to talk about but In my honest opinion I believe 1080p should be saved for those special occasions. IE Movies, first and last Episodes, etc.. 720p is a reasonable quality and it is HD. SD is a necessary evil. That is all I have to say.

PS If money is an issue then bonus donation drive should be looked into.
MadCow
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Watanabe Natsuna
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
My boom: miraculous
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by MadCow »

Is there gonna be a poll?

Anyway, my personal d/l habit is 720p for series, 1080p for movies and specials; but if something has to be cut, I prefer cutting 1080p for size and bandwidth considerations.
Arawynn
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Garo, KR Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger
Dreamy: Kouga, Tetsu

Post by Arawynn »

I always download SD for the weeklies because my internet connection is not that fast and I'm running out of storage space. If I loved a show a lot then I get rid of the SD and download it all over again with the 720p version to store on my external drive for future viewing. For movies I prefer the 720p version. So I would prefer the SD version to remain whatever you decide with the HD versions.
KR - Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-o, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze Sentai - Dai, Time, Gao, Hurrican, Aba, Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-on, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Gobust Other: Garo, Garo: Makai Senki
V V King
Why are we all 15?
Why are we all 15?
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by V V King »

Do away with the 1080p, at least for weekly shows. The increase in quality is not worth the massive filesize increase. Personnaly, my computer is fine with 720p, but sometimes has trouble playing 1080p, and for a full movie it's really annoying because it lags all the time, but I really don't want to go back to SDs.
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W / GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger

Post by harpdevil »

Hearing what everyone is saying I agree that 720 for weeklies and 1080 for movies makes the most sense.

There's very little discernible difference for quite a hefty HDD space penalty when added up over episodes. Regardless of whether or not people 'should' have a problem playing 1080 files, the fact is that they do. Not everyone who watches TVN stuff is going to come into the forums and troubleshoot how to get episodes to play. Given the choice of 480 or 1080, a lot of people would have to move down to SD rather than move up, and the difference between 480 and 720 is vastly larger than 720 and 1080. Few people have a 1080p monitor, which is the only viewing source that you would sit close enough to to maybe see a difference compared to 720p. Even if they become standard in the future, what details are there in a toku that would be obscured by a 720 resolution? The focus should be on quality vs accessibility while remaining manageable for the fansub team. Keeping 720 seems to make the most sense here.
Image Demon beasts called Horrors live in the darkness. This is a story of a Makai Knight who cuts down the Horrors. You better not look away.
Flying-gg
Adventure
Favorite series: Garo, Faiz
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim, Blade
Dreamy: Kaoru

Post by Flying-gg »

Saejima Kouga wrote:Which brings a question to mind: How many of you REALLY go back and rewatch the shows? The reason I stopped saving them is because I -NEVER- rewatch anything but Garo and Cutie Honey the Live.
That's a good question. I have a 2012 laptop designed for gaming from asus (a g74s) and a TV fully compatible to 1080p. Still I download SD version since I tend to keep anything I watch (mostly KR and sentai with all of Garo). And I do rewatch them a lot (to be fair, mostly Blade, Faiz, Garo, Kabuto, Hibiki). I watch them on my laptop since I don't want to bother my soon to be wife hence why I only use the SD encode : it doesn't make such difference. However I assure you that having all KR and sentai subbed by you guys takes a lot of space on my hard drive. I do understand however the need of good quality and I think it's great of you to offer the 1080p releases when possible ; offering 3 choices is a bit redundant in some way and I think you deserve some time to do what you like beside subbing toku. ^^
Dark Ren
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Zi-O
Quote: Heeeennnssshhhiiiiiiinnn...!!!

Post by Dark Ren »

If I put it in comparison (my version :lol:), I`d say like this :

Storage
SD : with 178 MB-237 MB per file, this is pretty much a win and can save a lot of space
720p : with 300 MB-370 MB per file, this is a fair choice
1080p : with 500 MB-550 MB per file, this is truly a space-killer :evil:

Bandwidth
SD : with 178 MB-237 MB per file, this is pretty much a win for those with slow connection
720p : with 300 MB-370 MB per file, this is a fair choice
1080p : with 500 MB-550 MB per file, this is truly a bandwidth-killer :evil:

Quality
SD : SD is kind of too blurry for me.
720p : this is a fair choice, HD quality FTW
1080p : truly is the best quality, but there is no different quality in naked eyes if you see it in 14" laptop.

Compatibility
SD : If it cannot play SD, it is not a PC/laptop. It is a stone :lol:
720p : All PC/laptop should play this just fine. If not, just update the codec and player.
1080p : Not all people can play this, to be honest. Either their PC is a bit old / laggy / CPU usage 100% / the temperature raise faster / etc / etc ...

720p is still needed, I think.
It is like the case when you decide to do H264 with stuff without HD (viewtopic.php?f=63&t=10659). It is a good choice since Xvid is outdated and there is a better solution and 95% of people can play it.

But 720p is still a standard of HD in most of the releases by many fansubs. Some even don`t do a SD release anymore. So 720p is still a fair choice in my opinion using that 4 criterias.

If there is a trouble with your storage, open a donation and we will help you (I will be glad if I can help you). Or maybe recruit a new encoder or two can help?

Edit : On an unrelated note, I still hope you release a 720p version of Fourze DC :( .
Last edited by Dark Ren on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Viresse
Boyz boyz boyz
Favorite series: Kyouryuu/Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Go-On/Blade Den-O
Dreamy: Tendou Souji
My boom: SS & KR
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Viresse »

I'm one of those that, unless there is absolutely no other option, will ONLY download 1080 files from TV-Nihon. So I would be fairly put out if that option was dropped. :-\

As for going back and rewatching my archives? Almost constantly, lol. Especially if I get a song stuck in my head and then forget to stop after the opening... <_<;;;

Ooh! Strange somewhat-unrelated note. I got curious and according to my files, from TV-Nihon alone, I have 595.9 GB spread across my two 3 TB external drives (with a combined total of 3.45 TB used space between them). This is every Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Garo, a few dramas and movies, and 2 anime from here.

.....Aaand I'm a tired geek who is going to bed now, lol.

miryoku wrote:Maybe i`m the odd one but i always have downloaded the things at the highest quality possible even though my pc couldn`t play them perfectly in the past just because i would watch them again when i had upgraded my pc, even with my old pc from 2005 i could play 1080p just fine :D
Not so odd, I do the same thing with a fairly outdated dual-core pc that I built in 2009. Though it plays 1080p files (even 10-bit ones) perfectly.
SS - Watched: Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Gokai, Go-Bus, Kyoryu, ToQ, Akiba 1&2... Watching: Go-On (42), Ninnin (20)
KR - Watched: Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim... Watching: Kiva (37), Drive (37)

Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

I'm putting myself into the category of Weeklies keep the 720p and movies keep the 1080p. If anything else just Drop SD all together and do that ONE option for weeklies and movies.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Right now we're considering the continuation of 720s, but giving it separate/unofficial support.

Return to “Tech Support”