Translations being distracting/offensive?

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above

Do you get yanked from the experience?

Yes
8%
No
92%

Total votes: 96
V Stealth Robo
Infinity
Alignment: Neutral Good

Re: Translations being distracting/offensive?

Post by V Stealth Robo »

I'd have to say that TV-N does quality work; even while Kingranger was in charge. On the other hand; under the rule of Takenoko, I believe it's managed to be a little more understanding for those that have recently been converted to the original Super Sentai series.

Sure I might have some trouble reading the song lyrics depending on which font is shown. As for the 'cuum from the recent episode of Go-onger; I just had fun with the jokes made about the enemies. Of course the vacuum is going to suck as an enemy outright. But just leave the rest of the comment to be ported to the Go-onger side of the forums.
maeanalda
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Post by maeanalda »

Speaking for a group of at least 10 in my area, (and an entire south carolina henshin workshop/ panal) we love the way you do your subs.

Cussing, well lets face it, Japan is much more advanced with their ways to cut you down in just a few quick words, sure bastard is a "harsh" word, but I've heard much worse comming from the school bus picking up 1st graders, if cursing hurts your feelings that much, you shouldn't be watching things you know have the words in there.
I love that you don't just plug in the literal translation for every sentence, we just had the immence *pleasure* of watching geki vs. boken from a dvd ordered off the internet, as they found it just before it was posted up here. (or i should say, jiyukeiyn vs. risker as the subtitels claimed)
"I am succeed, power universe cannot win" Literally said as the monster was dying. Thats not the worst example, its just the one thats sticking right there. By the end, we weren't really sure what had happened at all, only that mind taking was now a part of SS and when you die you win.

Your translation notes make it so much easier for people who don't understand as much of the language and culture as others do to get everything thats going on. Sure my 11 and 13 year old brothers have to pause to read explination text every single time, but I'm not sitting explaining everything step by step.

As far as the color and effects go, i think there fun, and an artistic way of placing the subs, I can't peg a single recent occasion where they have been hard to read, or

We as a group love your subs, and hope you stay the course.
FlipSnake-X
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Type: INFP Healer

Post by FlipSnake-X »

Geez.. for a minute there I thought the word said "wanked"... :twisted: :lol:

Seriously, it doesn't bother me one bit. I actually find the translations helpful. Japan as a whole has always fascinated me, and little tidbits here and there make me understand the culture more... I find myself actually pushing the progress bar back every now and then and hitting the 'pause' button when stuff like that happens to flash.

I admire the effort each and everyone of you put into all your releases. Thanks!!!
Susan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Susan »

I can't say I've ever really noticed any "colorful language" actually. I have to admit that I'm fairly desensitized to that sort of thing though, and I tend to be oblivious of small errors unless they are glaringly obvious.

I've found T-N's translations to be wholly accurate and none of their edits, for the sake of creating more natural-sounding English in the subs, to be distracting or unnecessary.

You guys do an awesome job providing some of the BEST fansubs out there. If there is anyone complaining about a few cases of "strong language" than they need to grow up or stop letting his/her children watch the subs if that's the case.
That Guy
Save the life
Favorite series: Gurren-Lagann
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Ozu Urara
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa Shigeki
Favorite Band: Disturbed
My boom: Gurren-Lagann

Post by That Guy »

Aargh, I accidentally voted "yes" when I do not find anything you guys do distracting or offensive, except for translation notes (they fit in the former category), because I have to pause to read them, but as everybody else has said, they are damn useful and I don't hold it against you guys for putting them in. Same goes for the effects you guys use, I find them fantastic and they help the whole experience for me. They turn watching TV into an adventure! There is training in it!
Honoo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Honoo »

Never been "yanked out" of anything while watching TV-N subs (btw, can someone tell me what "yanked out" means?). Your releases quality is very, very good. From the font choices, to the effects added.
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, if it isn't ignore me: in almost every show you guys leave some word in japanese ("henshin" for example), I can understand many of them but I still have problems with some attack's names (I'm thinking mainly about Gekirangers). May I humbly suggest a bit more translator notes in your next releases? I started watching also Skewed's subs and their idea of a splash at the end of the show with every translator note is quite good...
ImageImageImageImage
Lakota_thunder
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: GoOnger /DaiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Black
Dreamy: Hiroto&Gunpei
Favorite Actor?: Don't have one
Favorite Band: Too many to name
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Spider-Girl, sentai
Quote: My parents told me I could be whatever I want, so I became a lesbian fangirl.

Post by Lakota_thunder »

Personally, I am a big fan of everyone at TV-Nihon's work. You guys' work and quality is on par and sometimes superior in my opinion to many of the commercial companies. I hope you all continue with how you have been doing things. As an artist, I believe in retaining things in their original state. What's considered "colorful language" varies by culture and region. What's considered colorful in the USA isn't the same as in Japan and these are Japanese shows- their language, culture, ideas, etc. If a few can't handle that idea, then perhaps they shouldn't watch the shows. It's aggravating at times to see how shows can be butchered in attempt to appease usually select group of people. As the line says in the anime purist group I belong to says, "Because we all know that a riceball is clearly not a doughnut..." I quote that now because if you bend to "doctor" your translations for colorful language, the same group of people will find something else to nag and complain about to be "fixed" to their liking. Give someone an inch, they'll take a mile.

Sorry for the Gettysburg Address up there. In short, the translations are wonderful and definitely not distracting. Keep things as they are and don't worry about trying to appease a few precious snowflakes.
My parents told me I could become anything I wanted...so I became a fangirl.
Ryuta
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: Mele

Post by Ryuta »

Best quality fan-subbers around. No doubt about it. You do your subs in an aesthetically pleasing manner, in all areas. They're clear and easy to read. Swearing doesn't bother me, it makes me laugh at the idea of the words bastard and so forth are used in a kids show (even if they're not). :P
Saka Yuura
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kuuga
Dreamy: Kanbe Miyuki...RIP
Favorite Actor?: None...really
Favorite Band: None
My boom: Decade

Post by Saka Yuura »

I think I made the wrong choice in the Poll. I figured by "yanked" you were referring to having a fun time watching the episodes. But I was wrong. So if possible...can my choice be changed? If not, then you all know my look on it now and my vote in the poll is wrong.

And to the person who doesn't like TVN's fansubs...it doesn't matter where you look for fansubs. Most fansub sites are using the flashy colors and the logos and such. So either get over it or learn Japanese so you don't have watch the subs.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

Never found the subs to be distracting or offensive, did find it amusing when I first noticed it, but now it just seems normal and merges with all the other subs, the occasional offensive word (if you can even call Bastard and offensive word) gives the show a bit more bit and gets you into the action more than using a tame alternative, if people cant handle a couple of bad words then they are stuck in the old ways when these types of words were a taboo, but in the modern world they are common nature, they should just learn to deal with it

Keep up the good work

Peace out

Azazel

(this thread has been amusing to read while eating brekkie at work, great way to start the working day off :P )
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Kagali
Infinity

Post by Kagali »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUYlqLlbix0 - This series of videos reminded me of this thread.

I think the offensive language isn't because of cultural differences, but perhaps the way certain words are translated. I remember watching an old Dekaranger sub and saw Dekamaster say something along the lines of "Don't F*** with me!", as far as I know, that word could be (and is probably more suitably) translated as "don't mess with me" or "stop fooling around!". But that may be a different translator than who you guys have now. It was just a little jarring, Sentai is still a family show in Japan and I really don't believe words like that would be okay, even in a culture as different as Japan.

I don't mind leaving certain attacks and stuff in as Japanese, it's just certain times when Japanese words are left in and no explanation is given. Example: Episode 9 of Tomica, everyone but Juri was feeling odd and Hikaru said it was because she was "yukinari(?)", I wouldn't have minded a translator's note or to actually have the word translated, unless it's one of those things that doesn't really have an equivalent.

I think that idea of adding in an extra splash at the start or end of the episode for translator's notes and references would be a good idea.

Otherwise, I love your subs, love the typesetting and most of the translation style, you guys are great.
Liger Megatron
Gao
Favorite series: Galaxy Force
2nd Favorite Series: Car Robots

Post by Liger Megatron »

I'm not offended by any of the content I've seen on any TV-Nihon subs. If anyone was, you could simply decide not to download & view them. It's a personal choice after all.

Just to shift the tone of things briefly, I think Takenoko and his team should be applauded (on a regular basis) for all the time, effort & energy they put in to their subs.

Considering just how many projects they have on the go at any one time, its a wonder they find/get time to sleep!

And these sacrifices are willingly made just for us (the fans).

Great work everyone!

Regards,
Liger M
Kryptonian
Gao

Post by Kryptonian »

In regards to the visual embellishment, I do yanked out of the programme at times. A couple of examples off the top of my head are the Boukenger opening karaoke, where you couldn't follow/sing along to it since the syllables were shown backwards, readable only after the lyric had played, and in Gekiranger, some of the monster's Ringi techniques were unreadable, though that was more of a colour choice as opposed to animated fanciness.
Some of the words you choose not to translate for the sake of coolness seems odd sometimes. For example, I'm currently watching your sub of KR 555 for the first time and was shocked to see "henshin" actually translated as "transform". For martial arts techniques (such as Geki Waza), a lack of translation is understandable, for the same reason we say "karate" here as opposed to "empty fist". But as Kagali said, on occasion there's no note given to explain what the word is, which'd be especially confusing to newbies.
As for swearing, I've never been particularly bothered by it, but do wonder sometimes if some minor words are intentionally translated as swear words for the sake of coolness.

Saejima Kouga, thanks for this thread.
Seiblue
Gabu
Favorite series: Doctor Who
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Yoshifumi Oshikawa
Favorite Actor?: My bff Jill
My boom: Gokaiger
Quote: "What's he doing?" "Voice training." "Breast cleaning?" "WHY WOULD HE BE CLEANING HIS BREAST?!"

Post by Seiblue »

I do not mind the intense language used at all. English and Japanese are not exact translations, and I trust TV-Nihon's judgment in translating. I understand "baka yaroh" literally means "dumb guy", but it implies more than that, and I think it fair to use a more English expression as a translation. "Dumbass" fits the bill, and I don't think that the shows being subbed being children's shows should have anything to do with it. It's a matter of maturity in my opinion.

The only things that bother me are some of the translations for proper names of attacks or other such things. I am a language buff and love finding the correct translations, so that's just something that personally bugs me, but it doesn't take away from the overall experience.

Though, things that do get my attention are "Toriptor" and "Ginjiro Ichi". I would say it's better to sub these as "Toripter" (because it's clearly written on Hiroto's jacket) and "Ginjiroh" (because in virtical script, the dash is written vertically instead of staying horizontal like the kanji for "ichi" always does). But I am not on the TV-Nihon team and really have no say in this, so I don't really bitch and moan about it. It isn't the worst thing in the world and doesn't take from the experience. I appreciate the hard work that goes into these subs and really can't ask for more unless I'm willing to give myself.
虹の凄〔ファブ〕戦士、ホモレンジャーのセイブルー!
青春の力を過小評価するな! 狂死戦隊セイレンジャー!
lulz
Skinwalker
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Sh15uya
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey The Live
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: X-23

Post by Skinwalker »

I never really thought people could be OFFENDED by swearing and stuff in the subs o_o If that's the most accurate translation/ localisation then that's the way it should be. The main criticism about TV-Nihon subs I've heard people saying is that at times the subs are too "weeabooish", with all the -chan and -tachi, onee-san, 'mou' etc.
When I first started watching, the only problem I had with this was it took me a while to understand what the characters were saying. I thought I had seen those translated once in one or two series, but not since, which could be confusing for people only coming to watch one series or just starting.

It hasn't really bothered me much, I've become used to it, and I kind of like the inclusion of honorifics, but because people complained about it it gets more noticable >_< I know other groups do include that kind of thing, but at times it seems like TVN goes a little overboard with it.

...Anyway, I think you do a fine job.

Return to “Tech Support”