Please Translate, "Father, Mother, Grandmother..."

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W / GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger

Re: Please Translate, "Father, Mother, Grandmother..."

Post by harpdevil »

Tenraisenpuujin wrote:Even the brother/sister relationship could sometimes be boiled down to (Big/Little) Bro and Sis, though the various terms for big/little brother/sister tend to be more nuanced than we get/use in English.

I defy anyone to tell me they call their brother or sister "bro" or "sis" in real life. It's just not realistic, no-one talks like that and thats another thing that has to be thought about when translating, it has to be tweaked to sound more realistic than a direct translation, otherwise you get a HK sub lol
Image Demon beasts called Horrors live in the darkness. This is a story of a Makai Knight who cuts down the Horrors. You better not look away.
jonty
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by jonty »

harpdevil wrote:...and although I could very distinctly hear "Yondaime" (the characters name), the subtitles read "the Fourth"...
Not to mess with your argument, but I believe "Yondaime" isn't his name. It literally translates to "the Fourth". Though I see your point.
rin

Post by rin »

please don't change because some "one" don't like it. TN please maintain the current form of translation. its awkward to follow the dialog if everything is in English, please maintain the special Japanese term.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

harpdevil wrote:Stupid example: I was watching the latest episode of Naruto today and although I could very distinctly hear "Yondaime" (the characters name), the subtitles read "the Fourth". It wasn't even part of a sentence, just one word. That western simplification threw me out of the show much more than a straight non-translation would have. [/color]
Are you absolutely sure that was his name? Because Yondaime does mean "The Fourth"
rin wrote:please don't change because some "one" don't like it. TN please maintain the current form of translation. its awkward to follow the dialog if everything is in English, please maintain the special Japanese term.
I don't make decisions that do nothing but grease the squeaky wheel. But I think that a lot of people have made very compelling arguments that are worthy of hearing out
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Let's kill them all!
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
KickHopper
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR W & Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Keitei Sousakan 7
Dreamy: Why yes I am
Favorite Actor?: Watanabe Hiroyuki
Favorite Band: Royksopp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Film Noir
Quote: "Walking the path of Hell, the man who serves no one."

Post by KickHopper »

I honestly prefer having as much translated as possible. Granted, it's not always possible. But I still hold onto my idea that there's enough English ways of saying mother, father, grandmother, and grandfather to cover most of the honorifics and such, and possibly even for sister and brother.
ImageImage
Tenraisenpuujin
Adventure
Favorite series: Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Dreamy: Jasmine
Favorite Band: Belle&Sebastian
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Kamen Rider

Post by Tenraisenpuujin »

harpdevil wrote:
Tenraisenpuujin wrote:Even the brother/sister relationship could sometimes be boiled down to (Big/Little) Bro and Sis, though the various terms for big/little brother/sister tend to be more nuanced than we get/use in English.

I defy anyone to tell me they call their brother or sister "bro" or "sis" in real life. It's just not realistic, no-one talks like that and thats another thing that has to be thought about when translating, it has to be tweaked to sound more realistic than a direct translation, otherwise you get a HK sub lol
Maybe it's because you're British. My wife calls her brother "bro" all the time, and I sometimes greet my sister on the phone with "hey, sis."
"Newbie, if the next two words out of your mouth aren't 'Chrono Changer,' the third's going to be 'oh my god. my crotch. you've DV Refreezered me in my crotch."
bondanrastika
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Garo

Post by bondanrastika »

i understand some japanese language, but i'd rather read Father, or Mother than Otou-san, or Okaa-san. and i believe you guys at T-N is doing what's best for everyone. ^^
William_Duel
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Faiz
My boom: The World.

Post by William_Duel »

harpdevil wrote:
Stupid example: I was watching the latest episode of Naruto today and although I could very distinctly hear "Yondaime" (the characters name), the subtitles read "the Fourth". It wasn't even part of a sentence, just one word. That western simplification threw me out of the show much more than a straight non-translation would have. [/color]

Are you absolutely sure that was his name? Because Yondaime does mean "The Fourth"
Yeah, I wanted to clarify as well, that's that character's title not name. Yondaime Hokage means the fourth hokage (hmm would be translate hokage? That's a word that doesn't need direct translation...),
Soldat Veritas
Kryptonian
Gao

Post by Kryptonian »

harpdevil wrote:I defy anyone to tell me they call their brother or sister "bro" or "sis" in real life. It's just not realistic, no-one talks like that and thats another thing that has to be thought about when translating, it has to be tweaked to sound more realistic than a direct translation, otherwise you get a HK sub lol[/color]
I call my sister "Sis" pretty regularly, actually.

I'm for translating the words into English, and don't really have much points to offer other than what's already been said here, and what I've posted in the past.
steve the kitty
Number 6
Number 6

Post by steve the kitty »

Spectrum wrote:
sjneow wrote:
  • Japanese or asians youngsters tend to call older ladies which are not related to them Obaasan which literally means aunt, but this is not common in english speaking culture so you can keep the Obaasan
"Oba-san" means "aunt. "Obaa-san" means "grandmother".
Well, can't the meaning be translated? Isn't that the whole idea?

For example:
If a child in a show calls his aunt "Oba-san," why not type out "Aunt?"
If a child in a show calls some random woman "Oba-san," why not type out "Lady," "Miss," or "Ma'am?"

If everything were to be taken as a literal translation, nothing would make sense.

Obviously, I'm for the "Translate as much as possible," group.

Overall though, I think you guys do a very nice job, top notch work. I'd be lying if I said that seeing unnecessary japanese words didn't bother me, though.
rin

Post by rin »

if you guys wanted to change, please do it with a new show and leave the old show as it is...thx.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

William_Duel wrote:Yeah, I wanted to clarify as well, that's that character's title not name. Yondaime Hokage means the fourth hokage (hmm would be translate hokage? That's a word that doesn't need direct translation...),
I don't know, I think it's okay to translate that in that particular instance. It's just a number after all
lonegamer7
Save the life
Favorite series: Transformers
2nd Favorite Series: Mythbusters

Post by lonegamer7 »

steve the kitty wrote:
Spectrum wrote:"Oba-san" means "aunt. "Obaa-san" means "grandmother".
Well, can't the meaning be translated? Isn't that the whole idea?

For example:
If a child in a show calls his aunt "Oba-san," why not type out "Aunt?"
If a child in a show calls some random woman "Oba-san," why not type out "Lady," "Miss," or "Ma'am?"

If everything were to be taken as a literal translation, nothing would make sense.

Obviously, I'm for the "Translate as much as possible," group.
Endearments like those also indicate closeness between the two people that are involved in the conversation, or the speaker referencing the secondary person who is not in the same room as the speaker. Another is one person's opinion of the other.

Example: in "Showdown! Lori vs Chromia" in "Transformers Galaxy Force", both Lori and Sonic Bomber call Chromia "oba-san", to which Chormia takes offense. Now, the first thing some might think "why would she take offense to being called that?". However, the way how those two were saying it they meant "old lady" - some Japanese ladies don't like to be called "oba-san", making them feel old and might request others to refer to them as "ojou-san".
DekaPrime
Adventure
Favorite series: Den-o/DekaRanger
2nd Favorite Series: MagiRanger/Kiva
Dreamy: MagiBlue
Favorite Band: AKFG
My boom: Rider Belts

Post by DekaPrime »

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I like the way it is now. I've (scary thought) learned something from the subs you guys are doing. . .am I fluent in Japanese, no. . do I know enough to not make a fool out of myself, more then likely not, but I know Nii-San and Nee- San cause I watched the TNV stuff and when these things first poped up you guys had notes (magiranger had notes for Nii/Nee-san I belive) now I don't have any friends interested in Sentai or Kamen Rider (can't get them out of the "It's power rangers" or "it's kiddy crap") but my mom has kind of taken a liking to it (She like's Yuto from Den-O and thinks he is a sad guy having to give up memories to fight) once or twice she has asked me what something means but it's rare and she pays attention. If a young person calls an older lady "Ca-San" (not sure on spelling please forgive me) then that more then likely means "Mother" specialy if she has be implied as a mother somewhere else in the show. If she hears Nii-San she just figure's it's a nick name or a local term like bro or sis.

I've seen subbing groups that translate every single word and frankly I've never liked the "Taskforce" moniker used in Sentai mostly cause it just doesn't sound right. Engine Sentai Go-Onger sounds better then Flame God Taskforce Go Onger. and it takes you out of the show cause you have to read every single word, becuase of what little I've learned if I can't quite keep up with the subbs I'm not lost now cause I know who's talking to who and generaly about what.

now this is all personal oppinion. No matter what you guys do (aside from not subbing all together) I'll keep watching. Maybe a few liner notes or notes during the show would be fine (never had trouble with notes myself and yes I can read about Japanese superstition and watch Otoya Dance Form all at the same time) but please don't translate what really doesn't need to be translated (IMHO)
Don't hotlink your avatar

Jesus Saves
Cthulhu Eats
Choose Wisely :twisted:

Spoiler
Made You Look

Return to “Tech Support”