Please Translate, "Father, Mother, Grandmother..."

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above
Keith Justice
Adventure

Please Translate, "Father, Mother, Grandmother..."

Post by Keith Justice »

Hey guys... I come here not to drop any demands or anything like that. But I've noticed lately in Kiva and now Sousakan 7 that you're leaving worlds untranslated that really do a disservice to the show.

I'm a vet at watching these shows, full on, but there was a point where a character referred to "Tou-san" and I'd thought we'd finally gotten the name of the King in Kiva. Then I had to kinda re-translate it in my head.

And now I'm seeing "Oooba-san" and "Oooji-san" and yeah... eventually I can figure it out, but seeing these worlds out of nowhere and kinda unnecessarily really does throw me off a bit.

I ask as a long time watcher and loyal "customer". Not demanding or calling you guys any insult. But as a big fan of these shows and TVN works since you guys started..... could you please not do this as it does kinda mess up the show a bit. I want to show this stuff to my friends and yeah... it takes you out of the show when you have to say, "That means, grandmother" or "I... think that means uncle."

http://forums.henshinjustice.com/showthread.php?t=30015

Check out that thread for further and indepth discussion on the topic. Never signed up here 'til now cuz really... LOVE your stuff... it is my life's blood, but for the first time... pretty much ever in watching a sub, this really has me off put and gets in the way of some things that have been incredibly enjoyable for me up to this point.

No it doesn't ruin the whole thing by a long shot. But it's like.. eating a delicious steak... that occasionally has little bits of gravel in it.
[HJU Twitter!]
[Click Here to Subscribe to the HJU Radio Podcast, now on iTunes!]
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Please Translate, "Father, Mother, Grandmother..."

Post by takenoko »

Well, I appreciate your concerns. I kind of feel like this is the kind of issue where the fans would be kind of split

It's not like this change is unprecedented, of course. Out of curiosity, do we have any people that prefer the Japanese terms?
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

I don't mind the Japanese terms since I know what they are now, if I'm not sure on one then I just google and hope to get lucky
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Keith Justice
Adventure

Post by Keith Justice »

I don't mind some. There are a very select few that seem to have transcendent meaning to them when it's in Japanese and you read the translation at the top.

But these basic words actually do throw me off and just... no need. It doesn't enhance a personality or give a different insight to a character that you can only sense through the Japanese.

And like I said... if I show these awesome shows to friends I don't want them wondering who "Tou-san" is... :(
[HJU Twitter!]
gekiwaza
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Keitai Sousakan 7
Dreamy: The KS7 female cast
My boom: mic

Post by gekiwaza »

I honestly prefer the way you guys are doing it now. It mainly has to do with the -chans and -sans whenever you're adressing a relative. Just my two cents
Keith Justice
Adventure

Post by Keith Justice »

This is kinda funny.. while they didn't flip out about it or anything, a friend came in to watch Sousakan 7 I did actually get asked, "Her name's Oooji-san?"
[HJU Twitter!]
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

granted new people may not know what they are, i have found that other groups tend not to translate these words as well, I guess its just something that has happened over the years, after a while you do pick up words and what they mean, its always gonna be a split camp, not much you can do about it
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I'm cool with the idea of having "Father" or "Mother" or whatever instead of Otou-san and Oka-san.

Also: http://tvnihon.com/forums/viewtopic.php ... 26&start=0
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Keith Justice
Adventure

Post by Keith Justice »

Azazel wrote:granted new people may not know what they are, i have found that other groups tend not to translate these words as well, I guess its just something that has happened over the years, after a while you do pick up words and what they mean, its always gonna be a split camp, not much you can do about it
I'm by no means new, but it takes me out of the experience. Up to this point the translations have been so good and seemless I forget I'm reading and watching. But when you don't translate something basic like that, I pop out for a second to translate in my head.

I like -kun, -san, and the such. That actually helps with the flow.

But when I have to take a couple seconds to figure out if the person is saying, father, mother, grandmother, or grandfather.... that's no fun.
[HJU Twitter!]
Daz
Kamen Knight

Post by Daz »

I'm not concerned personally, though I sort of think that if you're going to translate something to English, you should... uh... Translate it to English XD

I don't have any real preference between the two as I understand enough Japanese to get by in Japan, but I can see how it could get a little bit annoying for some.

On the other hand, just imagine if the translations for Kabuto didn't say, "Grandmother said this...". That could have actually detracted from the show!
sjneow

Post by sjneow »

Well I would support not translating should the meaning can't be translate to English completely, for example:
  • Japanese or asians youngsters tend to call older ladies which are not related to them Obaasan which literally means aunt, but this is not common in english speaking culture so you can keep the Obaasan
But I think you should translate word like Kaasan/Mother which has obvious translation in english. Plus being pro is not exactly means quality, I've watched fansubs and official sub and I think fansubs actually translate the meaning better.
Vangelus
Go Go!

Post by Vangelus »

Stuff that's really direct like Mother/Father, I'd prefer seeing in english. I like the lack of ambiguity in leaving terms like sempai alone, but I do feel more words are being left in Japanese than necessary.

Though I want to add, it's hardly wrecked my -own- enjoyment of the shows. ;)

Really it's up to you guys, but if you're open to it I'd love to see the words that have a more or less direct english translation get subbed in english.
famicomman
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuranger
Dreamy: Megumi-san!!
Favorite Band: Tetra-Fang
My boom: Nihongo

Post by famicomman »

To me it matters not, as long as we can keep on honorifics on real names. Mother ad Father could be changed or left along. Whatever path is taken though should also be done with Nii-san and Nee-san though.
NIPPON BANZAI!! JOIN THE REBELLION!!
jolemonus
Adventure
Favorite series: Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Mele
Favorite Actor?: ME
Favorite Band: Tetra Fang
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: PIE
Quote: OH BOY! Does it come in explosive?

Post by jolemonus »

I say leave it as is. As long as you guys give us a refresher every so often. I say why not? It fun learning Japanese and this is one easy way to do so. So I say keep doing what you've been doing and thanks for doing it. ^_^
OH BOY!!! Does it come in Explosive?!?
eitlobsaboo
Infinity
Favorite series: Game Center CX
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/W
Dreamy: Megumi/Wakana
Favorite Actor?: OTOYA!
Favorite Band: The Pillows
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Suzuki Swift Sport

Post by eitlobsaboo »

Its daunting for those who dont know any japanese, but I find it very educational.

Persevere and you'll all be better for it. Keep up the excellent work!
Bring on the Trumpet!

Return to “Tech Support”