Moving Text

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above
KickHopper
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR W & Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Keitei Sousakan 7
Dreamy: Why yes I am
Favorite Actor?: Watanabe Hiroyuki
Favorite Band: Royksopp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Film Noir
Quote: "Walking the path of Hell, the man who serves no one."

Re: Moving Text

Post by KickHopper »

I personally applaud the efforts of TVN to make the viewing of the hearing impaired more enjoyable. I remember when the fact that there were hearing impaired viewers was first made evident, again thanks to SilentWolfDog, during TVN's run of Cutie Honey The Live. At the time, when the Duke would say his English lines, they weren't even being subbed, which lead SilentWolfDog to comment on how she had no clue what was being said. From that point on, TVN has really come through for the audience, and has been doing splendidly.

Color coding subtitles obviously is a great way to indicate who is saying what, but unlike anime where everyone has a different color hair that you can color code to, live action doesn't always have that option. However, there might still be the ability to color code people anyway, especially when different fonts are available. For instance, trench-coat guy in Decade could be given a light brown font. Other people maybe could have lighter tints of their colors, like Tsukasa might have a very faded pink, Yuusuke might have a very faded red. This obviously would have some problems when you get to worlds where colors are repeated, but I'm just throwing the idea out there.

I love the dynamic subs, as long as they don't really go out there. Positioning them a little to the side of who is saying it on screen, if multiple people are talking, is really helpful. And unlike Drazic, I have never found it difficult to keep up with the placement of subs in Decade at all, even with the dynamic subs, the subs are still generally to the bottom and it's not like they disappear so fast that if you don't go straight to it and read it as fast as possible you don't get what's going on.

So thank you TV-Nihon, for doing the best you can for your audience.
ImageImage
Ryu Serpentine
Adventure
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Alignment: Neutral

Post by Ryu Serpentine »

Basically, i agree wth everything what kickhopper said.

Actually, I didn't even notice when i was watching and had to back and heck now, so I think it was done well. If it moved the subs to the middle of the sreen I would probably complain, but as is it's fine.
Squizz
Infinity
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live

Post by Squizz »

I hadn't even noticed they were moving, :lol: I'd love to say though , that you guys get more awesome by the day, I can't remeber when I first started watching your subs, but I adore the new typesetting , and that you've gone that extra mile to improve deaf fans enjoyment is awesome.
I'm sorry I used awesome, so many time but there isn't enough words to describe how much I love your subs.
Phoenix512, Shinkenger's typesetting is so good I may never be able to watch old subs the same again :lol:
ElKevo86
7X
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Quote: "I just tell the truth. If that hurts you, that's your fault."

Post by ElKevo86 »

I noticed the change but it doesn't bother me at all. Does it really make it any different for those of us that can hear? I didn't really understand it at first but then the light bulb went on and I thought it was a good idea. I think its really cool that you guys are willing to do it.
Drazic wrote:Dont just change stuff to whatever you like...
XD Wow...I don't even know what to say about that.
Kryptonian
Gao

Post by Kryptonian »

Azazel wrote:people always love to complain about the typesetting, i dont like the font, the effects are hard to read, the effects arent needed, karaoke should be plain and the like, well if you think you can do a better job, step up and learn the skills of a typesetter, if you dont want to, dont moan about it when we do new stuff or use new techniques, typesetting is an art form
Art is open to criticism.
Cheetah wrote:We always appreciate feedback and suggestions. We can't change everything for every person watching but we take things into consideration. Thanks.
I, as well as others I'm sure, appreciate your open-mindedness. Thank you for your work.

As for my viewpoint on this matter, I - despite not being deaf - always use subtitles on DVD where possible, and am therefore accustomed to static positioning of text. However, I do enjoy the way it's used in Heroes, as it highlights Hiro's affinity for comics. That said, it only works because of the nature of the character and of the series. For that reason, I wouldn't like the subtitled text of your subs to be displayed in the middle of the screen. However, I have (to my surprise) enjoyed the way it's currently being done, with the text at varying positions at the bottom of the screen; my eyes are aimed at the bottom of the screen when reading text anyway, it's not a huge strain to read slightly to the left or right.
As far as different colours being used for the respective characters, I didn't notice until about halfway through one of the fight scenes, and didn't think about it again until Phoenix brought it up. It works because the characters are in costume, and is probably needed as it's not always easy to keep track of everyone's voices/names/head-bobbing to tell who's talking.
In short, I'm in favour of the dynamic text approach and coloured text, as long as it doesn't distract from the programme's experience.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Just throwing this out there, not expecting anything.

Because of how color oriented sentai is, would simply extending the coloring of the text be an acceptable fix for deaf people?

If the color's hard to see, I'm sure Phoenix can fix it. Yellow was it?
Podima
Militant Deaf Viewer
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Your mother.

Post by Podima »

Not so much, because position is just as important (if not more so) than color, and for less color-oriented shows, such as Decade, it can be even more of a chore to have color changes all over the place. The strain is felt both on the typesetter and the viewer side, it would seem.
MarkMusashi
7X

Post by MarkMusashi »

Ahh. So is that what was going on? The position of subtitles I thought was just a small trend.

Oh yeah, by the way - I have a deaf cousin who watches and enjoys each of your releases as I do. So this directly applies to me. Just wanted to let you guys know.
DekaPrime
Adventure
Favorite series: Den-o/DekaRanger
2nd Favorite Series: MagiRanger/Kiva
Dreamy: MagiBlue
Favorite Band: AKFG
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Rider Belts

Post by DekaPrime »

I'm not a deaf viewer so I can't comment form that point of view but I can say that I've had no real problem keeping up with the subbs. Now it may be that I've been watching TVN for so long that I've picked up a little Japanese and thus I'm not always looking at the subbs (I try I do cause they are so nice at times but once in a while I find myself understanding whats going on and I find I haven't looked at he bottom of the screen for some time) The only time it was strange to see moving subbs was in the last episode of Decade when the $$$$$$ popped up (lol) I missed it the first time but just caught the tail end of it. Course it gave me a reason to go back and watch what has become one of my fav episodes so far. .Don't spoil Decade dude
-take
What ever way you guys do it form now on your subbs will always be some of the best around and I think there is really little that can change that.
Don't hotlink your avatar

Jesus Saves
Cthulhu Eats
Choose Wisely :twisted:

Spoiler
Made You Look
Fidchell
Anime skin is so smooth
Favorite series: Evangelion
2nd Favorite Series: Digimon 01
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: .hack//

Post by Fidchell »

You guys are doing agreat job, I didn't even think of the moving subs as a bother, it was like aiding to the dynamic of the whole conversation.

I'm not deaf but sometimes I watch the episodes without sound because i fear that having an earphone in my ear in the middle of clas might be bad, and having the subtitles be positioned under the speaker form time to time is really helpful :)

the fact that you guys take the deaf viewers into consideration actually makes me gain a whole newfound respect for you guys so good job on it :)
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

lblanime, I'm curious to what version you watch for Shinkenger because the HD version has much sharper subtitles since the video quality isn't downgraded. I'm not sure that I can make it any darker because it's harboring on the territory of being tan. As I said before, a few people did see these colors and they had no problems with it in general.
erikhol
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by erikhol »

Wow - I sparked quite the explosion of debate.

I didn't know you where doing it for the deaf viewers.

I wasn't that taken aback by it in episode 5 - I only wanted to mention it incase it was something you where going to do more and more of.

------
http://www.supersentaiimages.blogspot.com/

Please visit my Super Sentai blog. Thank you.
Deathstrike
Go Go!

Post by Deathstrike »

Well I love the idea, but sadly it also had a bad point. My friend is deaf and she loves KR. When I told her that the subs were made easier for her, she was very happy. Now the problem is that she can't download from TV-Nihon at her campus, so I usually burn down episodes for her.
I burned down some of the Decade episodes, and it turned out that it was actually more difficult for her to read them. :(
The reason was that much of the text was placed in the far corners of the screen, meaning that when watching it on a television screen, much of it was chopped out, and we had to pause many times to figure out what the sentence was.

I know this is pretty much our own problem, and it shouldn't really matter to the subject, but IF I would suggest something, it would be to move the subs slightly, just SLIGHTLY towards the middle of the screen, so they wont get chopped when you watch them on a TV screen.
Istrebitel
It's not even funny
It's not even funny

Post by Istrebitel »

I didnt mention at all how the text moved or whatever. I like Shinkengers so much i dont ever mention subs, i'm all inside the show :PPPP Thanks TV-Nihon for that, ofc, because its their great subbing work that makes the episodes so easy to watch :)

Therefore, i dont mind if text is placed to help deaf people. Even if that would be a bit unusual or a bit distracting for me, i would not mind, because you actually adapt to the subbing style of the series you watch, so if this "moving" text becomes consistent, it will only harm at the beginning, after some episodes you'll get used to it.

Its nice you actually care about disabled people. We lack it so much in Russia...
KuraiZ
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Abaranger
Dreamy: Deka-Yellow
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Dragon Ranger

Post by KuraiZ »

I've been watching tvn subs for years. I would like to say that the new subs for me flow so naturally that I didn't even noticed they had changed. You guys do great work, so all I can say is keep it up! We love you guys!!
----
'Saisho ni itte oku... Ore wa, kanari tsuyoi!'

Return to “Tech Support”