Just some nitpicking... (KR Decade)

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above
JediMB
There are four lights!
There are four lights!
Alignment: Neutral Good

Just some nitpicking... (KR Decade)

Post by JediMB »

Well, as to not come off as too rude, I'd like to start with saying that I love TV-Nihon's subtitles. I only started watching Kamen Rider last year (and I've finally managed to get into a Sentai with Shinkenger), and I always prefer your subs over the available alternatives.

Now for the nitpicking:

The subtitles for the transformation devices in Decade are... well... incorrect. As you can see if you look at the cards or the in-show effects, the card types use compound words ("FORMRIDE", "FINAL ATTACKRIDE", etc.), while the subtitles add a blank space before the "RIDE".

Second nitpick is probably unnecessary now that the Faiz World is ending, but either way I'll point out that the official spelling of the antagonist race in Kamen Rider 555 is "Orphnoch", and not "Orphenoch".

And that, as they say, is that.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: Just some nitpicking... (KR Decade)

Post by Saejima Kouga »

How about Orphanoch since they don't have any parents?
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

yes but those words you don't write without spaces in the first place,

Orphnoch sounds and looks like you lifted that off of wiki
Orphenoch is how the translator spells it, its how it was spelt in the original subbings and the re-release of episode 1,
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Po-tay-to po-tah-to
JediMB wrote:As you can see if you look at the cards or the in-show effects, the card types use compound words ("FORMRIDE", "FINAL ATTACKRIDE", etc.), while the subtitles add a blank space before the "RIDE".
It's to keep the grammar nazi inside all of us from yelling "SPACE! SPACE! IT NEEDS A SPACE!!"
JediMB wrote:the official spelling of the antagonist race in Kamen Rider 555 is "Orphnoch", and not "Orphenoch".
オルフェノク, when changed from katakana to romaji is "orufenoku", so really, both work. We're going from squashed Greek names to Japanese to English, it's only natural that the spelling is odd. If you look at the Orphnoch article on Wikipedia, it says "Orphnoch is the combination of the names of a Greek mythological character, Orpheus, and a biblical character Enoch." so it makes more sense if the "e" is still in the middle (IMO).
Cheetah
The fastest animal
The fastest animal
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Cheetah »

Concerning the space added in FORMRIDE and others I was asking the same question when I was first making the effects. We decided to add the space because for subtitles it made it more readable. If it really helps all that much or not is questionable. As for orphenoch, I don't know. I was going to check the decade site but it seems to be down currently.
ImageImage
Nostalgia Critic Parody - Angry Video Game Nerd Parody
http://www.capcam.org - http://tvnihon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=4937
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Looks like all of TV Asahi is down due to system maintenance.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Curses!
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
JediMB
There are four lights!
There are four lights!

Post by JediMB »

Lunagel wrote:
JediMB wrote:the official spelling of the antagonist race in Kamen Rider 555 is "Orphnoch", and not "Orphenoch".
オルフェノク, when changed from katakana to romaji is "orufenoku", so really, both work. We're going from squashed Greek names to Japanese to English, it's only natural that the spelling is odd. If you look at the Orphnoch article on Wikipedia, it says "Orphnoch is the combination of the names of a Greek mythological character, Orpheus, and a biblical character Enoch." so it makes more sense if the "e" is still in the middle (IMO).
Thanks, I know all about that. :P
It's also from the word "orphan", which doesn't have an 'e'.

And TV-Asahi's 555 website does say "Orphnoch" in the plain ol' roman-style letters I'm typing with at this very moment.

[Snip]

and we dont care about that

Azazel
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

JediMB wrote:And TV-Asahi's 555 website does say "Orphnoch" in the plain ol' roman-style letters I'm typing with at this very moment.
I'll trust you on that as it seems TV-Asahi is currently for a while.

Google "orphenoch" and "orphnoch" and they're about the same amount of hits, though "orphenoc" has almost 1000 more hits. Really, I think they're pretty interchangeable. And to be perfectly honest, these are the same people who couldn't figure out how they wanted to spell "Fangire", so make of that what you will.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

The asahi page is up. So I guess Orfenok is also in the running as acceptable?
http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/555/005_orfenok/index.html

The wiki says that according to Inoue Toshiki, the word is a combination of Orpheus and Enoch. I don't really understand the Enoch part of the etymology, but it seems like the ed can be taken from Orpheus.

Besides, our spelling is closer to the pronunciation or-fe-nok. Orphnoch looks like it should be orf-nok. Official spellings aren't always the best spellings. See Red Rambass as example (it's supposed to be Rhombus, like the diamond shape)

Cheetah already covered the space issue. We talked it over, thought it was better for having the space
monritche
Imouto Rider Club
Imouto Rider Club
Favorite series: KS7, Ultraman, KR
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai Series
Dreamy: Yumi Sugimoto
Favorite Band: Orange Range
My boom: mouse-clicking

Post by monritche »

In the Philippine dub of Faiz, it's Orphenoch. Yeah I think, the "E" should be emphasize since its the connector of the pun.

Return to “Tech Support”