HD Testing for PS3 and XboX 360 users (version 2 up)

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

HD Testing for PS3 and XboX 360 users (version 2 up)

Post by XIII »

Ok all you eager people with PS3's and 360's we need your help to test a short 1 minute clip to see if a recent change in settings allows you to play these now, these changes have only come about as a result of feedback, we like feedback so keep it coming

I should also point out this is not a stream test, this is playback directly from the PS3 or 360

OK, made some changes to the process, could people please test Version 2 of the test file, I am only after PS3 and 360 people, PC wise its already covered (OSX people I'll be asking later on), remember its a direct playback not streaming, cheers Az

Version 2
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HQWZYMU0

Quality?
Speed in playback?
Glitches in playback?
Audio synced up?

Also as a side test, those using iTunes/Quicktime could you give feedback as to if this plays for you as well
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Iaatix
Gabu

Re: HD Testing for PS3 and XboX 360 users

Post by Iaatix »

Can't help you with PS3 or XBox, but it played with Quicktime...which your previous HD releases did not.
derekwc
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Post by derekwc »

Hi,

PS3 User here.

The clip played fine and as far as I could tell the audio synced just fine. Hard to tell positively with masked actors sometimes. I like to see lip movement to verify sync issues.

The only reason why I generally don't play fansubs on my PS3 (and this could just be my individual setup, I'm curious as to others thoughts on this), is that whereas my XBMC will stretch the picture to fit my screen's exact dimensions, with the PS3 there's a bit of overscan when playing digital files from my USB drive. So with dubs or a regular tv episode it is either not a problem or is so unnoticeable that it's not an issue, but with most any fansubs (I think your Go-Onger episodes might have been the one exception on occasion) it is actually quite noticeable and annoying, so I generally view most of your files with XBMC.

I don't really get why some files will fit full screen and others only have a normal or original
option.

My tv is a 50 inch Toshiba HDTV (I use DVI to HDMI) and I use a Sony STR-K665P Receiver to help give you an idea of my setup.

Thanks for thinking of us 360 and/or PS3 users.

Derek
SwordHero1
Kamen Knight

Post by SwordHero1 »

PS3 user with 2.70 update (currently the latest one).

Everything works fine for me. Nice quality picture and the audio seems to sync properly with the subs.

I'm using a SD TV if that matters.
taramjwi
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by taramjwi »

I played both the PS3 Test version and the original HD version of the episode on my 360 and noticed no audio or video problems or errors. Both flawlessly played in HD quality on my 32" HDMI LCD TV and there were no audio timing errors that my 360 has had with some of your SD releases of older series (for those of you looking for something to match timing to I used Doukoku's footsteps which made a nice clunk to match with the step). Occasionally you get a cut off word on the side of the screen but that's to be expected with anything you watch on a TV. Neither file seemed to play better or worse than the other so whichever format you use I'll still be a happy camper!
Wayo
Secretly a Robot in Disguise
Favorite series: Like if I could pick
Dreamy: Maya
My boom: shaka laka

Post by Wayo »

Worked just fine on my xbox.
neonblue2
Gabu
Favorite series: A lot
My boom: Kitties!

Post by neonblue2 »

It works in QuickTime, so it'll work in iTunes.

It also plays on my PowerBook G4 at almost full speed in MPlayer OSX Extended (with all speed options turned on). That's a small improvement over the other HD videos that were jerkier.
Laxative
Infinity

Post by Laxative »

I have problems playing it(.mp4), however, I can play other .mp4 videos without problems...
mateo360
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Den-o
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
Favorite Band: GACKT
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider

Post by mateo360 »

I don't see much of a difference, subtitles are still getting cut off on the bottom and sides using the xbox.
Do Not Underestimate the Power of Tommy's Ass.
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

That's because TV's overscan the picture. Since TV-N doesn't support TV viewing, the subtitles aren't in the "safe zone". The files work fine on my PS3.
Azuran
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Blade,RKD,GARO,FnK
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O,Kiva
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Azuran »

Agree with Archer. File works on PS3 and Xbox 360 equally well. Now my question is will these HD setting be the standard across all your shows, or just Shinkenger? And yes, subtitles are cut off by my tv's overscan too, but only a letter at most, so it doesn't bug me, I'm not expecting perfection from this, I think the issue here is just getting it to work.
Quality is good, and sync is impossible to tell with the given clip.
MacGyver572
Adventure
Favorite series: 555
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: Deka's Jasmine
Favorite Actor?: Den-O piano man
Favorite Band: Back-On
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Decade's henshins

Post by MacGyver572 »

mateo360 wrote:I don't see much of a difference, subtitles are still getting cut off on the bottom and sides using the xbox.
Try toggling the aspect or zoom ratio on your TV, i used to have that problem, but i came to some sort of less fullscreen setting or something and it all worked out.

Xbox user, the file worked fine, but it may be a thing with the Comp to 360 streaming, but the audio and picture is off on most of the files because of the splashes. a quick tap of the B button and resume gets rid of the lag tho... any ideas?
SacredCultivator
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Dreamy: Ichimichi Mao
My boom: Fansubbing

Post by SacredCultivator »

Azuran wrote:Agree with Archer. File works on PS3 and Xbox 360 equally well. Now my question is will these HD setting be the standard across all your shows, or just Shinkenger? And yes, subtitles are cut off by my tv's overscan too, but only a letter at most, so it doesn't bug me, I'm not expecting perfection from this, I think the issue here is just getting it to work.
Quality is good, and sync is impossible to tell with the given clip.
If these settings Azazel are testing work, which so far I think they do... They will be the standard for all HD Encodes, not for the SD ones. So this is not limited to only Shinkenger.
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W / GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger

Post by harpdevil »

For those with over-scan problems:

This isn't really a solution, but what I found works for me. I have a PS3, and I think I'm using a TV that isn't quite 16:9, it might be a bit taller to fit 4:6 pictures as well. When the PS3 starts up it automatically recognizes your screen size so it all fits perfectly. This is not so good for videos with fixed aspect ratios.
Instead what you can try doing is to manually set the screen size to 16:9 in the settings menu on the XMB. If you then watch the video and press ▲ to bring up the menu, choose the zoom video size to "original". You'll get a black box around around the video, but you can see everything and no loss of subtitles.

This unfortunately means that games and Home don't fit just right, but to get your PS3 to automatically recognize your tv again and sort that out, put your PS3 on standby, hold your finger on the 'standby' button for a few seconds till you hear a beep.
Image Demon beasts called Horrors live in the darkness. This is a story of a Makai Knight who cuts down the Horrors. You better not look away.
jolemonus
Adventure
Favorite series: Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Mele
Favorite Actor?: ME
Favorite Band: Tetra Fang
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: PIE
Quote: OH BOY! Does it come in explosive?

Post by jolemonus »

I would love some recodes so I could watch the HD versions on my PS3 I normally watch the SD releases due to that fact that they are the only ones that work on it. I have an HD tv and all that jazz but if I wanna watch the SD version I have to lower the resolution on my TV or it gets cropped pretty bad, or in (orginal) size it's like watching it on a Nintendo DS. :lol:

Thanks for all the hard work you guys do. ^_^
OH BOY!!! Does it come in Explosive?!?

Return to “Tech Support”