Clock in the Left Hand Corner

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above
erikhol
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Clock in the Left Hand Corner

Post by erikhol »

I have a question that I've been wondering about for a long time. Why is there a clock in the left hand corner or episodes of Super Sentai?

It's not that really bothers me at all - but I'm just curious why it's there. And also, why isn't it on Kamen Rider Decade, for instance?

Just wondering.
shadowneko003
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Abaranger
Favorite Band: Cascada
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Her boyfriend's a pilot

Re: Clock in the Left Hand Corner

Post by shadowneko003 »

Wrong place. Moving.

And it's just the way the person who record it recorded it. Or TV Asahi timestrap it. I remember watching it on Keyhole and it as like that.
LJ Blogger
Do not PM me about DDL links. Please report them here in the correct forum

YES, we know our DDL links are dead! READ THIS.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Re: Clock in the Left Hand Corner

Post by Arigomi »

I'm sure there are other reasons but here are a few reasons why (though they may no longer apply today).

Japanese networks found that many viewers tend to channel surf at the beginning of an hour. The executives for one network decided it would be a good idea to delay the start of shows by a few minutes to coerce viewers to wait. As a result, viewers would miss the first few minutes of programs that started earlier and decide to watch whatever programs started later. The competing networks all followed suit, each raising the stakes by delaying the start of their shows until the reverse (starting the show on the hour) became a viable strategy. This ended up creating a confusing mess for viewers to navigate. The time displayed in upper left hand corner helps viewers figure out when the show is scheduled to start.

Another possible reason deals with programs that are broadcast in the morning, especially during school/work days. It serves as a useful reminder to viewers how much time they have left before heading off to school/work so that they aren't late.

Return to “Tech Support”