Bouncing Subtitles in Shinkenger

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above
Keith Justice
Adventure

Re: Bouncing Subtitles in Shinkenger

Post by Keith Justice »

I'm settling in to watch 39 as we speak... but as soon as I check out 40, I'll let you know. :)

Thanks again for taking the time to listen and consider. ^__^
[HJU Twitter!]
[Click Here to Subscribe to the HJU Radio Podcast, now on iTunes!]
Keith Justice
Adventure

Post by Keith Justice »

Still seeing a lot of neccessary shifting subtitles on the screen when it's completely clear who's speaking....... In Shinkenger 42, in the opening sequence it's clear ShinkenYellow is speaking, yet the subs jump and scrunch underneath her drawing attention to the leap and away from the rest of the scene that's playing out.
[HJU Twitter!]
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Post by Silentwolfdog »

Well, I guess it's my time to speak up. I prefer it being this way, because it actually help guide me to the scene that is happening. Yes, in this example you used, you can see it's her that is talking. However, take in fact that there's 6 people on screen at one time, without a guide of some kind, it means more work for me to scan all over screen to figure out who said this or that. And so, by the time I figure out, I already missed some of maybe important facial expressions or action that would be vital to enjoyment of the show.

The goal of sub-placement is not to take you away from the action or scene, but actually to guide you to it and many times it helped me know where to look at. Since people who talks usually is what action centers at that moment.

So, there's always other factors for reason why subtitles might be under person who said what.

I love staff for what they did to Shinkengers, W, and Decade (heck, it might be only those three out of many that will get this type of treatment, unfortunately) since for first time I am able to actually simply watch without actually working my brain to watch.

I feel like this is a case where there will always be disagreement. Compromise was already done, and at heavy price to me. I miss the style of subtitles that were used with Decade, only to be stuck to what I have with W.
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
Keith Justice
Adventure

Post by Keith Justice »

Well, like I said, I wanted some sort of balance. I don't want it ruined for anyone. It's getting kiiinda ruined for me. Because of the jumping my eyes first search, then read, then translate in my head and I miss stuff going on in a given scene. So lately with the changed subtitles, I have a few times missed what's said and just focused on the actors or vice versa.

I think I get where you're coming from. I was trying to figure out why you would need to scan at all. You see the same thing I do, but I take for granted the audio queue of hearing a voice I know and that does help in notifying me where to look on the screen.

Not sure what the end solution is then.... :(
[HJU Twitter!]
drag-5
Go Go!

Post by drag-5 »

ultimate solution is learning japanese.
that's the way i see it. because you'll never make everyone happy.

Return to “Tech Support”