A suggestion, an offer...

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above
Qriist
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Quote: I lick my brain in silence...

A suggestion, an offer...

Post by Qriist »

Greetings! Good stuff here. In celebration of the news of Zyu and Dai, I have a couple things to propse.

The suggestion:
I am suggesting that T-N makes a move to the following format:
Container: Matroska (.mkv)
Video codec: h264
Audio codec: AAC HEv2 (HEv1 in the case of audio greater than 2 channel) The Ps3 has no issues with this format.
Subs optionally not burned in. (Soft subs would be easier to update via patch if the need arises, can be problematic on the consoles.)

Quality will be amazing at a smaller file size. If you would like help then I would be happy to assist. (Likely, you will need my tools from another project for the HEv2/v1 AAC.) Alternatively, I wouldn't mind doing the encodes myself if given access to the source DVDs.

The offer:
I am offering to host all TV-Nihon files on my private storage. This would require only one link to know and distribute and entire folders can be downloaded in one click. I am already doing the same for 2 other sites, one being OZC-Anime. (No project conflicts.)

Should you care for this at all, you can check out OZC-Anime's staff page http://www.ozc-anime.com/2009/04/about-ozc.html
My publicly hosted files are hosted at Qriist.livedrive.com
You may contact me on AIM via this same screenname.

Please consider my proposals, but I am not offended if no option is adopted. Thanks!
---Qriist
OtakuGangsta
Kamen Rider of The Hood
Quote: Go Fuck Yourself, Kisamayatsu!!!

Re: A suggestion, an offer...

Post by OtakuGangsta »

Ima say umm no but I don't speak for the whole staff. I think someone years ago suggested we should try mkv & umm as you see we are still on AVI. Mkv work on the PS3, ShitBull!!
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

mkv isnt supported on PS3 or 360 (as far as i know), using this would alienate them
we dont do softsubs, never have, never will
Not everybody will be able to play x.264, again alienating lots of people
not everybody wants to fart around trying to get softsubs to play

Basically mkv would alienate lots of people, so there is no chance we would do that
mp4 format serves us well, not to mention it is an industry standard which makes it more compliant with other tech than mkv which isnt an industry standard
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Qriist
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by Qriist »

First, I did not say MKV was ps3 compatible. I said the advanced AAC formats are compatible. As for Matroska issues in and of themselves, VLC handles a novice setup and MPC can do a more advanced one. When it comes to consoles, I have written a tool that quickly! puts out a mp4 file. I have used it over and over.

Furthermore, h264 is a industry standard. Much like your beloved mp4, it shouldn't alienate people. It is also a much more efficient codec.

For these reasons I offered to do the encodes myself if provided with source material.

Neither of you commented on the hosting, so I have no response.
XIII
The Conspiracy

Post by XIII »

yes, but not everybody has a pc capable of playing them

Some prefer to play encodes on DivX/XviD standalone players,

you have to think of everybody not just the people that are able to play x.264 files

even ratteling off players wont change some peoples mindsets, its best to have a solution which everyone can play, and in this case XviD is the choice, maybe in a few years x.264 will come to the forefront for everything

We dont really need any hosting, we have torrents for quick distro upon release and DDL's for follow up archiving and the like, we dont really need an ftp
Qriist
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by Qriist »

Apparently you haven't bothered to even look at my hosting. It isn't ftp.

As for video codec, I do believe that is why some groups offer up multiple versions. Which is why I offered in the initial posting, if no one else was willing.

But you guys seem adamant about it, so I'll respectfully withdraw the offers. Have a great day. :)

---Qriist

PS
If the staff at some point come to a different conclusion, you may contact me via AIM or in the chatbox at ozc-anime. I'll dismiss myself from here now. Keep up the good work!
Last edited by Qriist on Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gunzy
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Ryukendo
Dreamy: Sayaka Isoyama
Favorite Band: Clazziquai
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Video Games
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Gunzy »

Qriist wrote:Apparently you haven't bothered to even look at my hosting. It isn't ftp.

As for video codec, I do believe that is why some groups offer up multiple versions. Which is why I offered in the initial posting, if no one else was willing.

But you guys seem adamant about it, so I'll respectfully withdraw the offers. Have a great day. :)

---Qriist
Why not just offer this to another group since the answer kinda generalized into the "No" region. There are many other groups that are doing these shows so why chose TV Nihon?
ImageImage
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Why do you people have to always debate things?

I'm sorry, but for now (unless takenoko says otherwise) we will have to decline on the offer. But it is appreciated, thank you for thinking of us. =D
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
XIII
The Conspiracy

Post by XIII »

>>Apparently you haven't bothered to even look at my hosting. It isn't ftp.

Just had a look at that link you posted and I cant see anything to do with hosting, in essence everything is ftp, its just how the web front end is presented

>>As for video codec, I do believe that is why some groups offer up multiple versions. Which is why I offered in the initial posting, if no one else was willing.

It is something we have considered, and Im still considering it for another series, but for the most part I dont think it will happen, its just a logistical problem with getting the raws to the x.264 encoders,

We have enough x.264 encoders if we did decide to do it and we'd prefer to keep in in the family and to our own setup of x.264 encoding, no offense, but we dont know you or any of the work you do.

>>But you guys seem adamant about it, so I'll respectfully withdraw the offers. Have a great day. :)

we have a farily large fan base so we have to consider everybodies situation, your just concerned with your own situation and getting your hands on some expensive dvds,

We have a good distro setup so we dont really need your solution, plus we'd rather not be associated with someone who releases downloads of licensed material.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, I don't know anything about this livedrive service, but it doesn't really seem like something that we need in addition to our direct downloads links. So I'm going to have to decline as well. But yeah, thanks for thinking about us
D_B
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Please delete this account.
2nd Favorite Series: Please delete this account.
Dreamy: Please delete this account.
Favorite Actor?: Please delete this account.
Favorite Band: Please delete this account.
My boom: Please delete this account.
Quote: Please delete this account.

Post by D_B »

Just an observation, take tt for what it is, and ignore it if you deem it best...

The staff's general response to .MKV is one of the reasons I love TN so very much. Instead of rushing to "embrace the new" (like so SO many fansub groups seem all too willing to do!) you guys actually stop and consider what the move would do to those that most enjoy your releases, and act in their best interests. I wish others would stop and look at it from that kind of perspective.

One example of why this mentality is so wonderful (for those baffled by it for whatever reason)... At this moment, I am posting this from the laptop I take with me on trips. It's an antique Dell C640, and I don't mind taking it along on trips to "less than ideal" places (downtown Chicago for example... every time I go I end up "misplacing" something before I get home) because it's old and if it is ever stolen I will not be very upset. It will SMOOTHLY play every single TV-Nihon release I have asked it to play, from SD card. However, it CHOKES on many of the Matroska video files I have tried.

With that low-power laptop in mind, (And the wonderful OPEN TRACKER!!!) I know I can freely recommend TV-Nihon to pretty much ANYBODY and know their PC can handle it. This means I can refer people and know that when they download they will not only get high quality video and accurate subtitles, but they will get consistent and reliable playback without alot of fussing about hardware and/or codecs. This leads me to always put TV-Nihon.com at the top of my "GO THERE NOW!!!" list. I refer Americans that enjoy high quality Japanese entertainment, and I also send students from the college that are studying Japanese... and I can refer without fear.

I won't name any names, but there was a Rumiko amine a few years ago being subbed by a group I respected. They had massive numbers of people downloading every week, because they translated in a timely manner and the subtitle quality was medium and better. However they started playing the "OH! New codec! Must use it!" game, and the number of us that stuck with them dwindled very rapidly. Don't get me wrong, I build a new desktop every 12-18 months, and I use VLC exclusively (and did even back then), but I stopped supporting them, referring people to them, and even downloading from them because that crap was so frustrating to several people I had ALREADY referred to them. We found another subtitle group that did medium to good work and stuck with them (in their DivX .AVI format) to the end of the series (and watching the DL counters, we were not the only ones by far).

Besides, in my own opinion, the quality and size differences are hardly worth discussing. When everyone was on dial-up saving a few megs would have been worth some fuss, but with BitTorrent distribution over high-speed broadband... I don't even bother looking at filesize anymore. 300 meg or 1 gig... it just doesn't matter... bandwidth just is not all that big a deal to us as fans in 2009.

TLDR:
TV-Nihon has their shit straight and I thank them again for thinking about their fanbase first instead of "the newest crap". Thanks SO much!!! I wish more people saw things from your perspective, and emulated your commitment to quality.
Please delete this account.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

I want to expand upon the issue of softsubs since it pops up every once in a while. TV-Nihon does not use softsubs because the group does not want others to take the scripts and claim credit for them. Softsubs let random people easily remove staff credits and make other changes against the wishes of the staff.

These are not speed subs. It takes time to produce a quality sub. The staff is just asking for some credit after putting in the time and effort to produce a quality sub.

Return to “Tech Support”