Keeping track of updates

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above
GcnMaster
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: DaiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Favorite Band: Labor Day
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Keeping track of updates

Post by GcnMaster »

Unless the tracker gets special stuff from being visited every few days, I think it would be easier to post up the torrent files in the forums, or on the main page, as the tracker naturally has more to load, and the aforementioned visits don't really affect much, as far as I can tell.

I don't use any of the tracker's options except for downloading, and this would be mainly for convenience. However, that's just my two cents.

Merged with this thread since they seem to be about the same topic, and changed the topic to make it more clear
Beo
Gao
Favorite series: GARO
Alignment: Neutral Good

Er... Just A Suggestion

Post by Beo »

First off, please don't baffle me for this. You don't have to take it seriously and I don't expect you too. However, I feel this suggestion might be a nice addition to TV Nihon. Also, I would be completely unaware if it has been suggested before the new forums so... anyways.

Status Reports anyone?

I've seen a few fansub groups do this quite a bit. I'd put up an example but I'm sure it's probably forbidden to do so.

You really can't blame people for asking all the time when something is going to be released because nobody outside the staff team really knows what's going on... especially people like me who lurk in the background most of the time. Believe me, I know you guys have lives and get frustrated when people start demanding... so why not just release Status Reports every now and then? The idea is that a staff member every few days or so would post the current status of what stages your projects are in.

Example:

Powerpuff Girls Z
50 - QC
51-52 - TLC

Kamen Rider Kiva
4 - Timing
5-6 - Typesetting

Engine Sentai Go-Onger
1 - TL
2-3 - QC

Something like that. They'd only take a few minutes to complete and at least it might dismiss peoples thoughts on whether or not you would have dropped a series, or have even started on the next episode yet. And everyone's happy.

Again, just a thought. ^-^
Henshin.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Er... Just A Suggestion

Post by takenoko »

I don't know about that. Really, how informative would you guys find it if we did a constant status report on the stuff we do? If I told you something was in typesetting, would people find that information useful, or would they go "oh, it's not complete yet, I'll check again later"

The nice thing about a binary report is either something is complete or it's not complete. Easy to update and pretty straightforward.

And let's say we do a status report. Will it just change the question from "what's the status of this show?" to "why has this show been in this status so long?"

Do we really need to dismiss people's thoughts on whether we've dropped a series or not?
Liner_Form
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Too creepy to answer
Favorite Actor?: Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Favorite Band: Maroon 5
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Liner_Form »

And plus, I don't think we users would jump for joy at the status updates, it'd be more of a waste of time for the TV-Nihon staff.

"Hooray! Kamen Rider Kiva Episode 4 is in the process of editing!"
Wyvern
7X

Post by Wyvern »

I don't think the status report will do much because the sub to me is either available or not otherwise stated the subbing on a show is on hiatus until further notice.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I think if there's not been a release of one of the projects in a while, then maybe a "it's being worked on" or "it's not on the top of the to do list" would suffice. But there's no need for status on something that's released weekly (or close to weekly).
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

People will always bitch about when the next episode comes out. A status report will just change the question to why you been at this step for so long. So a status report would be unnecessary work for TV-Nihon in my opinion.
Beo
Gao

Post by Beo »

takenoko wrote:I don't know about that. Really, how informative would you guys find it if we did a constant status report on the stuff we do? If I told you something was in typesetting, would people find that information useful, or would they go "oh, it's not complete yet, I'll check again later"

The nice thing about a binary report is either something is complete or it's not complete. Easy to update and pretty straightforward.
Either way, to me, it's better than keeping everything locked up all the time. But hey. I didn't really expect immediate consideration. Thanks for reading at least. :3
Henshin.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Well, it's not like it's a big secret. I'm just not necessarily seeing how functional this information would be to the fanbase. For weekly shows, most the people that I find reasonable are okay with no reports, because they know the show is coming out eventually.

I'd probably be more forthcoming for a non-weekly if there's a long delay, but I'm not going to promise anything. Think of it this way, if people ask, they might get a response, or they might not. No harm or foul that way.
Beo
Gao

Post by Beo »

takenoko wrote:I'd probably be more forthcoming for a non-weekly if there's a long delay, but I'm not going to promise anything. Think of it this way, if people ask, they might get a response, or they might not. No harm or foul that way.
Well it doesn't really need to be that frequent. More like occasional. Bi-weekly, monthly or whatever's most comfortable.
takenoko wrote:Well, it's not like it's a big secret. I'm just not necessarily seeing how functional this information would be to the fanbase.
Er... let's see if I can answer this correctly. One could look at the status and probably interpret something such as "Should I come back tomorrow or should I come back in a week?" depending on what they are waiting for, I suppose. Any knowledge is good knowledge. Even if it's just plain curiosity. Some people might look and say, "Ah. It hasn't even been translated. I should come back in a week or so to see more progress" or "Alright! It's in the final stages of production! I'll be coming back tomorrow for sure!"

I often have difficulty expressing my points so forgive me if that's a little hard to understand.

*shrugs* Whatever happens happens. It's all up to you guys in the end.
Henshin.
Wyvern
7X

Post by Wyvern »

Should I come back tomorrow or should I come back in a week?"
probably best if everyone did that to check on whether the subbing of an episode is done.
Tendou Souji
Mega
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Momotaros
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Rider Chips
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Setsuna F Seiei

Post by Tendou Souji »

For me I will check tvnihon everyday, I just can't leave tvnihon.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

The thing is though, you're trying to predict something based on the time schedules of at least 3-5 people. Believe it or not, that's too many variables to reliably predict anything.

What if something makes it to encoding, and the encoder gets sick for a month? Instead of getting "why is the show so late" we'll get "why is the encoder being so slow?" It just gives the leechers a bad guy to be a dick to, this is the Internet after all.

Secondly, I really doubt that people's visitations of the site would depend on a status report. People that visit the site every day won't decide to come back in a week if they see that the show they want to watch is only in the timing stage.

If people are worried about missing something and don't want to be bothered with checking the news page daily, then set up an rss reader that'll automatically download our shows when it's released to the tracker.
lostinspace
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: gekiranger
Dreamy: JAN!
Favorite Band: none specifically

Post by lostinspace »

oops, i didnt realize this was here.

Anyways, i started a new topic similar to this as well(I really have no idea this was suggested) that instead of status updates, make it estimation to when it will be released in terms of the number of days. So we do not need to check on the status everytime, we just need to wait for the number of days stated to be over, and wala episode is released.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Using my highly scientific methods of methodology I have deduced the mean, that's the average for you laymen and laywomen folk, to be 14 days per release. So if everyone visits the site bi monthly, be that every 2 weeks or every 2 months, you're sure to find a brand spanking *new release.

(*term "new" is completely relative to the viewer)

Return to “Tech Support”