SD versions: Xvid or 264?

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above

For SD releases, which do you prefer?

Xvid
53%
H.264
47%

Total votes: 99
Peruchito
Number 6
Number 6

Re: SD versions: Xvid or 264?

Post by Peruchito »

H.264
Damage
Favorite series: Blade/GARO/Shi15uya
2nd Favorite Series: W/Den-O/Cutie Honey
Dreamy: Mikie Hara!
Favorite Actor?: Edward Norton
Favorite Band: Oasis
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: F/S N, Glee, LOGH
Quote: “I had a Gundam once. He was magnificent.”
- Oscar Wilde

Post by Damage »

XviD. I watch just about everything of mine on my Xbox 360 and I'd like to keep it that way. It's one of the things I love about TV-N; no matter what is released I can always lay down in my bed and see it on my TV.
Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Dreamy: Nozama
Favorite Actor?: Takehito Koyasu
Favorite Band: 765 Productions
My boom: Robots. Always.

Post by Magenta »

I will repeat myself.

Our h264 releases play back perfectly fine on the 360. If they don't, you're either a) using a program that is transcoding despite not needing to transcode when streaming them to the 360 or b) using a 360 that has never been on Xbox Live to download an Optional Media Update. Neither of these is a valid reason for not being able to play back the files.
ima sugu shutsudoukable
Sho-saka
NagoSan
Favorite series: Zero Punctuation
Dreamy: You tell me...
Favorite Actor?: Sato Takeru-san
Favorite Band: Erm...any?
My boom: Away with the faerys

Post by Sho-saka »

Xvid for me. I've got a VLC Player and whenever I tried to watch the video with H, I always have the trouble of switching the subtitles on manually and worse, the subtitles themselves are a big mess and that the default fonts for the subtitles aren't as 'unique' as the one coded in Xvid.

Plus, I refuse to buy another laptop as buying technology is always tad expensive, even for my student finance issues.
Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Dreamy: Nozama
Favorite Actor?: Takehito Koyasu
Favorite Band: 765 Productions
My boom: Robots. Always.

Post by Magenta »

tgfuagaoyoa8gyoagaoyfoagfyaorfy we do not goddamn do softsubs even in h264

D:

D:
ima sugu shutsudoukable
LobsterHime
7X

Post by LobsterHime »

Sho-saka wrote:Xvid for me. I've got a VLC Player and whenever I tried to watch the video with H, I always have the trouble of switching the subtitles on manually and worse, the subtitles themselves are a big mess and that the default fonts for the subtitles aren't as 'unique' as the one coded in Xvid.

Plus, I refuse to buy another laptop as buying technology is always tad expensive, even for my student finance issues.
VLC is a bad player anyway, i don't know what you were expecting. also tv-nihon as a group does not use softsubs.
Gunzy
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Ryukendo
Dreamy: Sayaka Isoyama
Favorite Band: Clazziquai
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Video Games
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Gunzy »

Both encodes play fine on my 360, my PC and my laptop.

I tend to get minor pixelation sometimes when I use my PC to watch PC when it came to the CGI scenes of the show but other wise it played fine.
ImageImage
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

So at this point it's 39 for xvid and 33 for 264

Let's take an imaginary scenario where I run a group whose fandom mostly consists of people who watch children's shows. Maybe they're not the best or the brightest, but somehow or another they've figured out how to bittorrent and play videos with xvid

Let's now imagine a scene where we throw in a 264 version of our subs. Let's see how many people download that version instead

Now let's make a poll that puts xvid and h264 in direct contrast

Maybe at some point, they'll buy a new computer or download Gom Player or VLC. Maybe this hypothetical thread will prompt them to try a h264 encode of our video. Then eventually maybe it might be more important to focus on h264

But if the majority of them are downloading the xvid version and most of them are voting for xvid, one would assume there is some demand for the xvid version. There's real no way of going to their house and looking at their setup to verify that they can't play h264. We're just going based on what people tell us and from the numbers on our tracker.

Now let's pretend that they're all idiots who can play h264 but are failing to do so for one reason or another. That doesn't change the fact that the majority of them still want an xvid version
Hears All
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Miu!!!
Favorite Actor?: Yumi Sugimoto
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider

Post by Hears All »

I love everything the way it is
Archon Divinus
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: W
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Pokémon

Post by Archon Divinus »

So I tested out one of the H264 of Heartcatch on my Wii, and it is indeed a no-go. I'm probably the only person for whom this a concern though.
LobsterHime
7X

Post by LobsterHime »

Archon Divinus wrote:So I tested out one of the H264 of Heartcatch on my Wii, and it is indeed a no-go. I'm probably the only person for whom this a concern though.
http://code.google.com/p/mplayer-ce/wiki/h264 unfortunate(?) but wii was never designed to be a multimedia system anyway.

and nothing of value was lost...

edit: i spoke too soon, the new experimental x264 settings will actually play on mplayer ce 0.76.
Aoiblue
Everything is drama!
Favorite series: Trick
Dreamy: Haga Yuria
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Gransazer

Post by Aoiblue »

Here's a suggestion: h.264 for SD DVD releases and xvid for regular releases. Just a thought.
Ryouga
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Ryouga »

LobsterHime wrote:
Azazel wrote:its simple to get h.264 working, you have several choices

the n00b approcah

1) go to http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
2) download latest version
3) install
4) play

this is very simple process, will play anything, if it doesnt then you are doing something seriosuly wrong, VLC has its own built in codecs and will play just about anything, this is my back up player incase my main solution fails to work
please for the love of dongs stop even mentioning this as an option, much less as the first option discussed. can you even imagine how many people stop reading after they see this will work?

as for the rest of your post, and general advice for other experts. it doesn't matter how much you know or what codecs/filters you personally have installed. just tell people to use CCCP. it uses a standardized set of programs with standardized settings. this makes it immensely simpler to diagnose a real problem when it arises.
Whats wrong with VLC?! I tried CCCP and hated it as I prefer VLC's interface and I have K Lite Codec Pack as a backup but never use it
kaza
7X

Post by kaza »

I use KM-Player to watch the Xvid...while the H.264 I use K-lite...but it doesn't go so well...probably because my video board is really weak...so I'm going to be selfish for now, sorry.
by Crimsom Cafe
gmottl
Mega
Favorite series: Rider-Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: ppgz, mrr, too many
Dreamy: fourze girls, luka
Favorite Actor?: jirou zanki garulu
Favorite Band: nightwish
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: MLP:FIM
Quote: just because you're a genius doesn't mean your a smart guy- PPG narrator
just because i'm an idiot doesn't mean i'm stupid- Spencer Shay

Post by gmottl »

i watched heartcatch 1 in both HD and SD. highdef first when it came out and half way though i started thinking. "wait, i never had a problem with anime before, so why the hell did i download this in highdef"

i replaced it with the standard and have been downloading the series like that ever since, but thanks to a massive bluray haul i've been watching those more than my fansubs so i had a massive backlog of recent eps from all active older shows and it's takes me a couple days to get to sentai and kamen rider.

well i just watched the standard of precure 1 in h.264 and i voted for it. i can hardly tell the difference between this and the highdefs. very little to me at least but maybe thats just me since xvid is doing better in the polls but hey, bush got in, TWICE and we still have no idea why, maybe it's the same thing here.

i hope you do live actions like this but it would be dumb to put out highdef and standard in both xvid and 264 so looks like it may be a failed experiment for some reason. [scratches head]. very confusing but i havn't read all 6 pages yet so, maybe i missed the problem entirely.
Anyone remember when the news didn't want to make you punch the nearest thing to you, me neither.

Return to “Tech Support”