Translator log

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Translator log

Post by takenoko »

I just wanted to make a generic thread to talk about what I thought about our translations. Anyway, I invite all the other translators to use this thread to post your musings as well.

Sometimes you translate something one way, then later on you go "Oh, so that's what they meant." An example of this would be the original Garo TV series where they talked about a fruit from the Guren Forest. Up till the episode where that actually appeared though, it was all kind of up in the air what was really being said. After the fact, I found out that Guren had a kanji and actually meant something: 紅蓮 【ぐれん】 (n) crimson, crimson lotus flower

OOO
So we just finished the TV series. Overall I don't think there's all that much to say about this series, it was pretty straightforward for the most part. I kind of wish we had a subtitle for Eiji's yell for when he finishes off the monster though. Like Ryuki's "yosshaa!", Eiji yelling "seeeyaaaaa" whenever he does his finisher really became kind of an important trait to OOO. In episode one, we were even wondering if he was saying "see ya" in English.

Another thing I kind of wish I did was capture Maki's stuttered "yaaa meee rooo" whenever Date teased him. Like maybe "s-t-o-p i-t" or something to show the shaking of his voice and how disjointed his pronunciation was. By the time I thought to do this, Maki had already left to become the series' bad guy.

One thing I do regret is not just using Detective without the -san when Eiji referred to Shingo. It just doesn't really work for me to have a title with an honorific.

W
If I knew that they were going to plaster the spelling Futo all over the place, I probably would have just used that spelling. It's not how I would romanize the word, but having the subs say Fuuto and the English in the show say Futo was needlessly incongruous.

HeartCatch Precure
Wish the Tact attacks were spelled Takt, since they come from the German word for a conductor's wand:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taktstock

Return to “Tech Support”