Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Pokemon X and Y

Post by Revorse »

So since it had been a while since I played Pokemon and then the news of X and Y came about, so I became sort of interested.
So I picked up Y and a 3DS, since it had my buddy Heracross, and it's pretty fun being a Trainer again.
I only have 3 badges, but I'm like 20 hours in. Either they changed the pacing of the games, or I'm terribly slow. Either way I'm enjoying it.

Anybody else pick up X or Y?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Pokemon X and Y

Post by Catastrophe »

Got Y on release. Really enjoyed it. They did spread out the space between the 1st and 2nd Gym, and the pacing is pretty good until the 5th. After that, it happens quite quickly.

I ruined it for myself by using the Exp share though. By the time I got to the E4, I was ridiculously over levelled without trying. Next run through of a Gen 6 game, I'm turning it off.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Revorse »

Yeah, I heard about the Exp.Share thing, so I cut mine off as soon as I got it.
Also I'm trying to get into EV and whatnot and Exp.Share messes that up.
But then again I'm thinking of not getting into EVs and all that. The competitive Pokemon scene seems pretty fucking rough.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

You could Super Train your Pokemon when you capture them to get the EVs you want. Actually I'm over 100 hours and still have only 2 badges. I get caught up balancing the levels of my Pokemon trying to evolve them. I got X for my game.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

I never bothered with EV/IV stuff, the whole thing just gives me a headache.
Exp. share I really liked to use in the previous games, helped out a lot; I'm not sure what I'll do when I eventually buy Y, though.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Revorse »

Yeah, I'll try learning more about EV. But as for IVs and breeding. That's just too much for me?
Phoenix512 wrote:You could Super Train your Pokemon when you capture them to get the EVs you want. Actually I'm over 100 hours and still have only 2 badges. I get caught up balancing the levels of my Pokemon trying to evolve them. I got X for my game.
Holy shit! 100hours? What dedication. I bet your Pokemon are better damn amazing at this point. Do you play competitively, Phoenix?

Another thing I just thought of. What was the deciding factor in getting X or Y?
For me it was because Heracross is my favorite Poke. So I had to go with Y.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Don't play competitively. Most of the Pokemon I plan using are around level 27-29. Once I get the final form for some of them, I just leave them in the box.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

EV training has been trivialised by Super Training, or, if you are clever enough, hoard encounters.

IV breeding is easy now as well. It is legitimately possible to capture Dittos with 31 in two IVs. Couples with the fact that the destiny knot forces inheritance of 5 IVs between the parents, and that males can pass hidden abilities, it is really easy for casual players to breed for perfect pokemon if they wish.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

I've tried to play Pokemon games in the past but always lost interest at around the 5th gym because that's when I typically hit a wall in terms of grinding. I've always been interested in playing the series but grinding low level Pokemon to fill in gaps in your team always felt like such a chore. The changes to EXP Share is one of the reasons I'm tempted to pick up Y even though I've never finished a Pokemon game.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

One of the issues most players tend to have is that they attempt to evenly train a full team of 6. This is easy to do in generation two, due to the low level of the E4 the first time through, but harder in other games.

If you find grinding an issue (which it can be without rematches with trainers), try having only 3 or 4 main Pokemon in your party, and leave the other two slots for utility pokemon with HM moves. If you are only training 3 or 4, it makes distributing experience easier.
MagiRed
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by MagiRed »

I got the game on release. The lack of post-game events is quite dissapointing.
How about we add each other. 1821-8988-8627.
Flying-gg
Adventure
Favorite series: Garo, Faiz
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim, Blade
Dreamy: Kaoru
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Flying-gg »

I stopped pokemon after I finished my silver version... Seems they made some improvement. ^^
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Revorse »

MagiRed wrote:I got the game on release. The lack of post-game events is quite dissapointing.
Well there is still battling online and whatnot.

My code is 3067-5677-4397
MagiRed
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by MagiRed »

Revorse wrote:
MagiRed wrote:I got the game on release. The lack of post-game events is quite dissapointing.
Well there is still battling online and whatnot.

My code is 3067-5677-4397
Ok, I added you. Having more friends on the Nintendo 3DS would also help in the friend safari.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Revorse »

Added you too. So Friend Safari let's you catch Starters possibly, right?

Return to “Games”