Josuke Higashikata
No votes
Giorno Giovanna
No votes
Jolyne Kujo
No votes
Johnny Joestar
No votes
Josuke Higashikata (part 8/JoJolion version)
No votes

Total votes: 4
Tsukino Ko'uma
Infinity
My boom: Fluffle Puff
Quote: "I just don't know what went wrong!" - Derpy

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle

Post by Tsukino Ko'uma »

Not really good at striking up a discussion, but I could try I guess...

Anniversary game, not just celebrating ONE part of the game like Heritage for the Future and Vento Aureo from Capcom or the Phantom Blood beat em up, but having a number of characters. Which includes all the protagonists (Jonathan Joestar of Phantom Blood all the way to the JoJolion/part 8 reboot of Josuke Higashikata), the sidekicks and mentors, and a few major friends, enemies, and allies. They even threw in Hol Horse (who was a very minor character in part 3, Stardust Crusaders) and Baoh (who is from another manga of the same name by Hirohiko Araki).

The series is also generational. Mangawise, part 1 (and part 7 since it is a part 1 reboot) is Victorian, part 2 is the 1930s, parts 3 - 6 and 8 happen within the last 30 - 40 years or so. Part 8 is sort of a reboot of part 4 set in part 6's timesetting (go figure).

The game plays a fair amount like Heritage for the future control wise... but it has Hamon users, Stand users, Spin users, vampires and Pillar Men ("Mode" users), and hybrid characters like the part 3 versions of Joseph Joestar and Dio. And each style is different since the Style button will charge a Hamon users's super, bring out a Stand user's Stand, and summon a Spin user's horse. Baoh has a style called Baoh Armed Phenomenon, which is apparently one of those SNK game type things where the character gets more dangerous as more damage is taken as a double edged sword.

Well as I said I'm not good at starting discussions... ^^;

Anyone have/play the game?
The fun has been doubled.

Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Re: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle

Post by Kogashi »

I have it pre-ordered through Amazon but, aside from the people willing to import and or know Japanese, doubt anyone in the US or Europe will be able to say they have or have played JJBA:ASB since it's not out yet in the US.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Tsukino Ko'uma
Infinity

Post by Tsukino Ko'uma »

Kogashi wrote:I have it pre-ordered through Amazon but, aside from the people willing to import and or know Japanese, doubt anyone in the US or Europe will be able to say they have or have played JJBA:ASB since it's not out yet in the US.
I preordered my Japanese copy. ^^;

It arrived the day the US edition was announced. But I don't feel I wasted money because IMO America's copyright tyrants ruin the series.

At one point I would have been willing to buy the US version, but I'm back to "his name is Robert E.O. Speedwagon or I'm not even buying it for a penny". :P

The characters having names like Santana, Devo, Vanilla Ice, Weather Report, and Funny Valentine give the series a lot of wonderful flavor IMO. :D

I'd be willing to have a free copy or play someone else's copy if it was in English though.

But I won't even buy American editions of Zeta Gundam or K-On! because of the music removal/replacement. ^^;
Last edited by Tsukino Ko'uma on Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

I can understand that point of view, and if it were they were dubbing the game and giving them new names to avoid copyright issues I'd agree that getting the American version isn't worth it... However because I understand the issues with copyright laws being so different between the US and Japan that I don't mind them going so far as to change some names to avoid the issue. As I understand the situation, however, it'll still have Japanese voice over, so when they say their names it'll still be the same, so there's much less to worry bout from my point of view. Also, I'm getting it in English because, while I know the stories for most of the Jojo Generations/Arcs, I don't want to miss something in a Japanese copy that I wouldn't have missed in the English. Kind of like why I haven't gotten a digital copy of the Kamen Rider Dynasty Warriors game, cause if I play that I'd want it to have English text, so I can read what each character is saying to each other.

also while I get that you are against how strike copyright laws are in the US, I find your use of the term 'Copyright Nazis' as insensitive, offensive, and in poor taste... but that's not the point of the thread.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The fact it is single track audio and getting a disc release in the US (although limited) is a miracle in itself. Out of the name changes I've seen so far, most are alright. Crazy Diamond is Shining Diamond, but it still references the same song. I don't know how they'll do anything related to Prince, because I'm under the impression he is a huge pain in the ass and will sue anything at the drop of the hat. Some others have complained about some of the translations as well, but most have no base in their arguement (like people complaining that Valentines 'DOJYAAA~ ~N!' was changed to 'TA-DA' despite the fact that is exactly what it means).

I have the JP version, and I will buy the English release as well. It is a nice game for a JoJo fan. I personally love playing as Diavolo, King Crimsoning shit and erasing time all day ery day YOU KNOW TOO MUCH.. As far as fighting games though, it is kind of weak, but as a JoJo fan there is nothing more anyone could want.

That fact that the campaign mode is needed to unlock stuff and it uses a shitty energy bar meter like japanese social games is a pain in the ass. Why couldn't I have the option just to buy the costumes and taunts as DLC rather than having an option to pay for energy.
Tsukino Ko'uma
Infinity

Post by Tsukino Ko'uma »

Kogashi wrote:
My bad. Didn't mean to upset anyone.

I generally use the term in reference to how awesome stuff can't come over unaltered because of a few laws that differ. Heck if the anime comes to America copyright issues will likely affect that bit in Joseph's portion where they play a guitar instrumental based off Owner of a Broken Heart as he scours Mexico for some German soldiers with a presence there.

As for the game, I know they won't be dubbing it. Still kind of rubs me the wrong way that I might not be visually playing as/against Vanilla Ice, Funny Valentine, DIO, Lisa Lisa, or Annasui if I get an English copy. ^^;

I can read a bit of Japanese and understand enough to spot translation inconsistencies but I suppose an English copy might be useful in a few ways.

Anyway, anything HAPPY that is JoJo related that we can discuss?
Catastrophe wrote:
Ah. At least they do TRY to reference as much as they can. The whole campaign thing is unneeded unless you really want to wear that costume that character wore in that part of the story though. Characters and (for vampires/Pillar Men) sunlight immunity on day stages are unlocked in the story mode.

I'm generally happy with Jonathan being the Victorian era Kenshiro and Jotaro being a classic high school tough guy. :)

As for the complaints about no "dojyaan" or "MUDAMUDAMUDA" or "yare yare da"... yeah, I REALLY think it would please anyone other than the hardcore anime fans and/or JoJo fans to leave those in a corporate translation. xD
Last edited by Tsukino Ko'uma on Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

It's a shame DIO sucks in this. I was hoping to troll people online with knives and road rollers. His health is low (take half of it off with Diavolos GHA) and air moves are shit.

Actually, pretty much the entire tier list of this game depends on how good ones air control is. I find Stand users much more fun to play that the Part 1 or 2 characters as well, but that's mainly because punchghosts are cool.
Tsukino Ko'uma
Infinity

Post by Tsukino Ko'uma »

Catastrophe wrote:It's a shame DIO sucks in this. I was hoping to troll people online with knives and road rollers. His health is low (take half of it off with Diavolos GHA) and air moves are shit.

Actually, pretty much the entire tier list of this game depends on how good ones air control is. I find Stand users much more fun to play that the Part 1 or 2 characters as well, but that's mainly because punchghosts are cool.
I like the variety.
My personal favorites gameplay wise (that I tried) are, in no particular order:
Jonathan
Jotaro
Hol Horse
Jolyne
Iggy
Avdol
Kars (I think)
Gyro
Joseph (Stardust Crusaders)
Polnareff

But I imagine a few minutes of play after updating so I can finally buy Baoh will change all that.

Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

Kars is arguably the worst character in the game. Ultimate Kars is fantastic, but the set up is difficult. Nobody is going to let you sit there spazzing out with the mask on for that period of time.
Tsukino Ko'uma
Infinity

Post by Tsukino Ko'uma »

Catastrophe wrote:Kars is arguably the worst character in the game. Ultimate Kars is fantastic, but the set up is difficult. Nobody is going to let you sit there spazzing out with the mask on for that period of time.
I think I liked the controls for A Pillar Man, but not sure which one. Might have been Esidisi or Wamuu instead.

Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Recently got this myself off Playstation Store and more recently got through Story Mode.
Personally, I'm of two minds on the game.

On one hand, having seiyuu for almost every Jojo character is downright amazing. I mean sure, there's the David Productions anime but so far that only covers up to Part 3; there's so many other characters it hadn't covered yet so having an idea of what they'd sound like is rewarding.
The music is also great, too. I could go listing favorite tracks, but I'd likely end up listing the whole soundtrack. "Yoshikage Kira Wants a Quiet Life" and "Everything is Justice" rank very highly on my list though.

On the other... there's some things that baffle me. Like, I get the copyright issues but you still get weird stuff like Jolyne's "How many times can I strike?", "1000 hits" being written as "How deep can I go?", "Balls Deep"that while not accurate at all also nerfs the manga reference it was going for. (It also says "1000 hits" on the screen when you do the move so.. I dunno).
Kira's "Sheer Heart Attack" having the "Sheer" removed makes it unintentionally hilarious, though. "My Sheer Heart Attack has no weaknesses!"
Also, the online fighting.. I tried it once and it was okay but the game kept lagging (or "transmitting", as it calls it) every time I jumped which got annoying really quickly.

Also, Also, Story Mode got handled really weirdly the farther I went. At first, Parts 1 and 2 got handled well, paced appropriately but Parts 3+ tended to keep to a set number of episodes trimming out way too much of the interim, (Part 6 getting the worst of it since it started off around the last volume). I didn't really feel as much for the later parts as I had when reading the actual manga.

All in all, I do like the game since there are a lot of positives (I knocked DIO into the water-tower with Kakyoin! Revenge!) but I wish some elements still got improved or touched up, at the very least.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

The next game looks sweet. Should check some of the gameplay. I think there is even a demo on the JP PSN store.

Return to “Games”