Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: KR Agito/Kabuto
Dreamy: Akiyama Nana
Favorite Actor?: Hongo Kanata
Favorite Band: Maroon 5
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: ONORE DECADE
Quote: Ore wa hitori dake jubun da. Dare mou tomete nai, dare mou jama wa saseru nai. Sa... Omae-tachi kakatte koi yo.
Type: ESTP Promoter

Enjoy playing Dark Souls 2?

Post by kyoichikiller90 »

You guys enjoyed playing Dark Souls 2 on Ps3? I didn't by the window or Xbox 360 versions.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Enjoy playing Dark Souls 2?

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, it's pretty fun. I'm posting videos of it on my youtube channel.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... v16Izcw_Ex

Part 2 still has about 74 minutes of processing to do.

Your character feels a lot slower and more deliberate than in Demon's Soul. I found a hidden guy in the starter area, and I simply didn't have the mobility to dodge his combo. I ended up losing almost half my hit point bar, because every time you die, you hollow more and you lose more max hp. I eventually used a human effigy to bring my hp back to full and killed him to get a stone ring.

I'm also exploring the forest of the fallen giants. It seems like the best place to go as a beginning.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I accidentally killed the NPC that you need to level up. That is definitely a new experience for me.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Is that even possible? In Demon's Souls you can kill her, but she just comes back to life. LOL, gg bro
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I should never have branched out from the safe-haven of my JRPGs. It is a nice new experience though.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Quick tip for the beginning:
Spoiler
Don't forget to hit the rock into the well in the beginning,
you'll get a estus shard that will allow you to get two drinks instead of one. I went through the entire first area with just one drink of estus, which was tough.

Little nitpicks, anyone noticing some lag in the game? Noticed it in the character creation. Notice it whenever the subtitles come up, and the audio pops up a second later. It's especially bad at the upgrade lady, who takes a heck of long time to skip past her dialogue to reach her menu, and even then it takes a few seconds for that to happen.

I was fighting the Pursuer boss, when I had a real bad time with the sound effects cutting out. I wasn't sure if I was doing damage or not, since I'd swing but there was no sound effect. I wasn't even doing it multiplayer, so it's not like there was network lag.

Maybe this is just my controller, but I have a real hard time bringing up the menu with the start button. I'd press it, then nothing would happen, so I'd press it again. At this point, the menu opens then closes because it registers both presses.

Some good things are the multi use of souls. I like that after beating a boss, you get enough time to gesture before leaving the world.

I haven't had a chance to try dual wielding yet. Maybe on a subsequent run.

I'm mostly a paladin build. Building up strength to wield heavy weapons, and I have enough faith to cast a miracle. My intelligence is really low and I haven't tried dual wielding yet. I don't think I've seen many dex weapons yet either.
---------
If you want to follow along, check out my videos. I won't say my game play is super skilled or anything, but I think I do a decent job at crowd control and dealing with enemies:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... v16Izcw_Ex

The subtitles get a lot better around 4 episodes in because I choose a larger, more bolded font. There's a bunch of videos queued up to be loaded.

Class: Knight
Gift: Petrified Something
Level: 58
Current weapon: Fire Longsword +2, occasionally trying the old knight swords, but their durability is shit.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Tips and tricks

Getting the loot on the cliff in majula:
Spoiler
As you walk into Majula the first time, you'll see a shiny on the cliff. Around that area, you can drop down to a secret ledge to pick up stuff

Shortcut to the second bonfire in the forest of giants:
Spoiler
If you hit the barrels on the bridge, they'll explode and take out the wall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Wj1nz ... yTKWs1IT9Q

Also, if you get in the coffin by the two cyclopses, your gender will change!

Unrelated:
If you like Dark Souls, enjoy this whimsical comic that features some of it:
http://latchkeykingdom.smackjeeves.com/ ... -slayer-1/

Heard about it on the Bonfire Side Chat podcast.
Joosche
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
My boom: High Fantasy

Post by Joosche »

It's very, very good. The progression is slow and I loving it. The bosses are creative and really hard.

The multiplayer works really fine compared to DS and strangely I not sucking so much.
Joosche
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
My boom: High Fantasy

Post by Joosche »

Complete lore. This make me feel dumb.
http://fextralife.com/dark-souls-2-tota ... breakdown/
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Post by Silentwolfdog »

Phew, finally finished the game, at least first cycle. So I made new character to do small stuff I missed with my first character and to get better build. I kinda regret doing first character as sorc class because they are kinda underpowered in Dark Souls 2 compared to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. When I made second character to be melee, I found monsters to be easier to slain for melee class, it kinda make me feel a bit resentful, lol.

Glad they are coming with 1.03 patch that should fix stuff especially trying to get rid of hollow state. I would co-op so many time only not to be able return to human state or other time all I have to do is kill myself in host's world to get my human state back lol. Turns out that was a bug. Same with slow loading time for bonfire or summon sign.

I like the game...but somehow it feels a bit less epic than Dark Souls or Demon's Souls. But otherwise, I think it probably have better replay values compared to those two games. Since some drops are only available beyond first cycle or NG bonfire. And co-op/pvp are based on soul memory instead of soul level. So no more people trying to do soul level cap thing which annoyed me a lot about Dark Souls. Glad that issue was fixed, but I think a lot of gamers are unhappy about it though.

But Dark Souls 2 still have same vibe as Demon's Souls and DS where I would feel stupid for making mistakes that I did lol. Got to love that.
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

My NG run is complete, here's a list to the playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... v16Izcw_Ex

It's a blind playthrough, so I make some dumb mistakes. I try to cut out parts where I just run around and waste time, but the videos basically have no editing. Still, I think I did decently well, plus I kill all the bosses (I think?) and try to find as many secrets as I can.

I'm already working on my NG+ playthrough, and they start things off differently right away:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... h_bXAEX5WR

Although there's not that much new in the forest of giants. I'm currently trying to decide whether I want to do this a no bonfire challenge run on top of the champion covenant, or just do no bonfire by itself.

Return to “Games”