DekaBreak
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Favorite Actor?: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japanese Language
Quote: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Shenmue 3

Post by DekaBreak »

So, following the E3 2015 announcement, Shenmue 3's Kickstarter is in progress, and I'm just giving it a shoutout here. For those who know the game, it's the 1999 pioneering open world classic. For those who don't, the point of contact would be this: The lead role of Ryo Hazuki has been voiced by Toku alumnus, Matsukaze Masaya, who played MegaBlue and ShinkenRed XVII. Initially starting at 2 million USD to launch the game, it's currently at 3.5million, and to clear all stretch goals, the kickstarter needs to hit 5 million. Some of the more ambitious fans want to hit 10 million, but that's a story for the future.

Forbes did run an article damaging the momentum of the campaign because initially the media had the impression that Sony was funding the game and using the Kickstarter as a mere publicity stunt (which it is, to some extent) but as it turns out Sony is only helping with marketing and not the development, and the campaign has been slumping. If you've got a buck to spare then please contribute at: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/
AncientLemurian
7X
Favorite series: Keitai Sousakan 7
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Daimon Rinko
Favorite Actor?: Takayama Yuko
My boom: Tetris

Re: Shenmue 3

Post by AncientLemurian »

This is awesome.

Hoping that a PS4 physical version will be made in the future.

(The announcement at E3 came minutes after the Final Fantasy VII remake announcement. People went crazy for both!)
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Wait, what the fuck? E3 announcement and then a Kickstarter?

Game devs these days.
DekaBreak
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Favorite Actor?: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japanese Language
Quote: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by DekaBreak »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ys ... ts/1270641

There's now an interview with MegaBlue, part 2 coming soon.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Catastrophe wrote:Wait, what the fuck? E3 announcement and then a Kickstarter?

Game devs these days.
The E3 announcement was about the Kickstarter starting, with while not spoken outloud likely very clear that Sony was putting a fair amount of money into the game for publishing or marketing.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

And I think it's stupid. E3 announcement for a kickstarter for a game that already has funding just screams dumb. The problem being people nostalgic to it will fund it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I dunno. I think gamers tend to be a bit ignorant and knee jerk reactionary to stuff like this. I very much doubt that someone like Yu Suzuki would start a kickstarter for the nefarious reasons of pilfering the dollars of his fans. If the guy says he needs 2 million dollars, I'm guessing he probably needs it because that's how much is necessary to get the game completed. I think I heard a stat that most kickstarts tend to lowball the number because A) they want to meet their goal B) they overestimate how efficient their own work is C) they underestimate how expensive the project will end up being.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I think it's more like there was really no reason to hide the fact there was some outside funding for this is why people are angry about this. If they were upfront about it in the beginning, it wouldn't be such a big deal. Now using an E3 conference to promote the Kickstarter, that's a bit pathetic to do.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

*sigh* And I think the main reason people are upset bout this is cause a far too loud portion of the gaming community, demand to have something to complain about on every story. Shouldn't we be HAPPY about Shenmue 3 happening? Shouldn't we be happy that it's being funded? Shouldn't we just be given good news and go 'oh, hey, this is good news, awesome' and not 'Good news? Why? What aren't you telling me? HOW IS THIS THE WORST NEWS EVER!?'
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
AncientLemurian
7X
Favorite series: Keitai Sousakan 7
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Daimon Rinko
Favorite Actor?: Takayama Yuko
My boom: Tetris

Post by AncientLemurian »

There is now a physical PS4 edition reward available, as well as some other new reward tiers.

The pledge total is nearly $4.1 million now.

Return to “Games”