Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Tabletop/board games?

Post by takenoko »

I went to a game day at the local library yesterday. It was pretty fun! We had a great host who guided us newbies and did all the explanation. Apparently he's been doing it for 14 years, and it shows.

We played

Owner's Choice https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27298/owners-choice
Sort of like a faster, more strategic Monopoly. Still mathy, but as the host described it, it's appealing because it's a lot more choice driven rather than dice driven.

The Game https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/173 ... -play-game
What a bitch to google. But pretty fun to play. It's a cooperative card game where everyone tries to get rid of their cards on four piles. Two piles can have 100 to 2 and follow the rule that cards placed on this pile must go down. Two other piles start at 1 and go up to 99 and cards placed on these piles must go up in value. If you have a card that's 10 less than a card on the pile, you can go backwards (eg, there's a 66 in the 100->2 pile, you can place a 76 down, which will give you more opportunities to lay more cards down). The game ends when a player can no longer lay a card. We got it down to like 11 cards I think?

Skull https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/92415/skull
A card game where the main strategy is trying to trick your opponent. I honestly couldn't quite grasp the strat for this one.

Dixit https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/39856/dixit
I think this was my favorite one. There's a deck of cards with random drawings on them. Players would take turns laying down a card and saying a name/theme. Then other players would lay down a card to try to match that theme. The person stating the name/theme will get points if people guess his or her card, but no points if everyone gets it. And other people who get their cards picked will also get points. Pretty fun and creative.

Daybreak https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/163 ... f-daybreak
There's a werewolf among you, and you have to figure out who it is. The host brought an ipad with an app for this, so it was fairly smooth.

Do any of you guys do game nights or anything like that? And what games do you play?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Tabletop/board games?

Post by Catastrophe »

I'm not big into them but I have some friends back home that are.

One really easy type of game that I like is a Deck Builder game. They come in various themes (like DC) and you use cards to buy cards and make combos and shit. It's real fun and super quick to play.
Monsoon
Gao
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: HOTS
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Monsoon »

At MAGFest a few weeks ago I played Two Rooms and a Boom and it was really awesome. We had a bout 20 people. Each player draws a card from a deck to determine their team and role, with half of the players drawing terrorists (red cards) and half of the players drawing secret service (blue cards). One terrorist player is the bomber and one secret service player is the president. One red card is a secret service spy, and one blue card is a terrorist spy. The players divide at random between two locations - we used two hotel rooms, but you can use any space where there's enough room for all the players. By talking to other players and showing them your card (or just part of your card, or bluffing, etc.), the two rooms vote on players to change positions ("exchanging hostages"). After several exchanges, the game officially ends. If the president and bomber are in the same room, the terrorists win. If the president and bomber are in different rooms, the secret service wins.

...it was awesome. I ordered the game on Amazon later that weekend, heh.
Can't Stop the Monsoon - a blog mostly about video games, now featuring occasional Super Sentai reviews! Latest tokusatsu piece is my top ten Super Sentai series.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Wow, a 20 people game. And that didn't get too chaotic? It sounds fun though. I'm still relatively new at this stuff, so anything that's fast or that has really streamlined complexity would probably be most appealing for me currently.
Monsoon
Gao
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: HOTS
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Monsoon »

You can play it with as few as 8 people, but more is better. If the group is smaller then you play without the spy cards. And it's not complicated, just a deck of 20 cards.
Can't Stop the Monsoon - a blog mostly about video games, now featuring occasional Super Sentai reviews! Latest tokusatsu piece is my top ten Super Sentai series.

Return to “Games”