pinchekame
7X
Favorite series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: Mele
Favorite Band: Doco

Advice Needed: PS3 vs. Xbox 360

Post by pinchekame »

Hello TV-Nihon...it's been a while.

I was wondering if you guys could provide some feedback for me.

I have won some free points at work and, as a result, can get either an xbox 360 or an 80gig PS3. I am stuck as to which one to get. I am a big fan of fighting games, adventure games, and RPGS (especially Final Fantasies). Which one would be the better system to get?

The only thing I know is that the new PS3's are not backwards compatible (otherwise it would be a done deal)

I appreciate any and all feedback!

DJ Jimmi Zero
Adventure
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: The Boondocks
Dreamy: Chise Nakamura
Favorite Actor?: Chise Nakamura
Favorite Band: 12012
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Beatmania IIDX

Re: Advice Needed: PS3 vs. Xbox 360

Post by DJ Jimmi Zero »

I have both and can say that the PS3 is not going to disappoint you just from what you said, regardless of PS2 compatibility, keep your PS2 if you want PS2 games. The PS3 has a better controller, region free, removable hd, free online, and blue ray. As far as fighting games, PS3 all the way, the 360 d-pad is shit for fighters. RPG's are kind of a mixed bag, Tales of Vesperia will most likely get ported to the PS3 as did Eternal Sonata, Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII are both on the PS3 and then theres Desgea 3.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Well... It really does depend on what game titles you're looking forward to... But aside from that yea the 360 d-pad is fairly annoying when used for fighting games.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
pinchekame
7X

Post by pinchekame »

I hear Final Fantasy will be ported on both systems, which makes the decision process a little easier. Other than the genre's I listed previously, I'm not looking for too much more. The one plus about the PS3 is the blue ray dvd player...

I appreciate both of your feedback 8)
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog

Post by Kogashi »

Well normal FF13 is coming to both consoles, but Versus, for the moment is a PS3 exclusive.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
pinchekame
7X

Post by pinchekame »

what's the difference between FFVIII and versus? This may be a dumb question, but is one a fighting game?
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog

Post by Kogashi »

The difference that I can remember, aside from taking place in the same universe but not having to do with each other, is that Versus is more action based and, I think uses the battle system of KH2. But nah, not a fighting game... And FF Agito 13, as far as I can tell has nothing to do with the KR series Agito, but that would be funny in my view XP
christopherjohn
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Prop making

Post by christopherjohn »

Look at games that are exclusive only to each system. Not ones that will be ported to each. It makes it harder.

Playstation tried screwing fans over. Microsoft always tries screwing fans over. So thats negatives out of the way.

Box has Fable 2 since its a microsoft game. More then likely the rumored Kotor mmo will be on a 360 only but you never know. PS3 has DCU online coming which is the reason I will be buying a ps3 eventually. I'm gonna get a 360 first because there are more core games that are only 360 then a ps3 and not all ps3's are backwards compatable. 360 at least most the games are now.
shadowneko003
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Abaranger
Favorite Band: Cascada
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Her boyfriend's a pilot

Post by shadowneko003 »

Although FFXIII is coming to PS3 and 360, I rather get it for the PS3. PS3 is bluray player, if you don't have one. Also, PS3 is region free for PS3 games.

360 has ToV, Star Ocean 4 (not sure if there's gonna be a PS3 port...there better be!!), and Infinite Discovery (?) so far.
LJ Blogger
Do not PM me about DDL links. Please report them here in the correct forum

YES, we know our DDL links are dead! READ THIS.
DekaChief
IXA
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by DekaChief »

shadowneko003 wrote: Also, PS3 is region free for PS3 games.
And that's gonna come in handy for FFXIII, since Japan will be getting it first, while the rest of the world waits for SquareEnix to start development of the 360 version of FFXIII. Because according to them, they aren't gonna release the PS3 version until the finish the 360 version. And they aren't gonna start working on the 360 version until they finish the PS3 version apparently.
Spoiler
Peek a boo, Chuck Norris sees you! *roundhouse kick into oblivion*
Wayo
Secretly a Robot in Disguise
Favorite series: Like if I could pick
Dreamy: Maya
My boom: shaka laka

Post by Wayo »

If its just an xbox with no games you can get the ps3 and sell it. The xbox had a recent price drop so you can get it with a few games with the money from selling the ps3. Also if the 80GB ps3 is one of the new ones(released in sept) it does not have backwards compatability. One more thing, ff13 is going to be ps3 excusive in Japan so if you are in Japan and want to play ff13 dont get an xbox.

Like christopherjohn said, look at the exclusives and choose the system with the most you like. The bad news is that there are a lot of big exclusives coming soon for both :lol:
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog

Post by Kogashi »

- -;

It really does feel like 'emo' is becoming the new 'gay' as the auto insult for anything people don't like. Just because a character shows more emotion then most American heroes (a swearing slab of concrete), doesn't always mean they're emo.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog

Post by Kogashi »

...So how's the whole Ring Of Death thing working out for the 360? Systems still crashing and burning just as bad as a windows machine with a Blue Screen Of Death?
unmei
運命

Post by unmei »

A someone who owns both, I have to say that it really all comes down to what your preferences are. If you're more into fighting games, I say get a sp3, simply because the controllers works infinitely better for fighting games. The free online is a nice touch for fighting games too, if you don't feel like dropping another 50 a year for live. The blue ray player is a nice bonus too if you're into hi def movies now that HDdvd has died. Just know however that you're probably going to be buying getting your ps3 on its future potential. while it has quite a few decent games, most people are watching it for its potential. Plus if you're like me, and love to get some old PSOne action going, its still bc for the original PlayStation, they just removed the emulation hardware for the ps2.

The 360 has a very solid catalog going for it, with a fair share of RPGS, both Japanese and western. It has BC for some xbox games, but it's far from complete, and a lot of what is there isn't perfectly emulated. With the upcoming addition of netflix for your 360, it'll allow you to rent videos in HD and watch them off your xbox, so if you have a fast connection it's a good idea, but if you want to buy your movies, you're limited to regular dvd unless you buy the HDdvd add on, which is unsurprising y cheap, so if you want that and you can track down HDdvds in bargain bins, go for it. My 360 end sup getting more sue than my PS3.. but that's really more so because i knew more people who play online via 360 than PS3, so i get most games for 360 unless i plan to only do single player stuff.

Return to “Games”