Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Too creepy to answer
Favorite Actor?: Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Favorite Band: Maroon 5
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Kingdom of Loathing

Post by Liner_Form »

@_@ this game is confusing me. How can I play longer than two minutes during the game (I keep running out of Adventures >_<)

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go to the memberlist and find a user with 11-14 posts.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Kingdom of Loathing

Post by takenoko »

Liner_Form wrote:@_@ this game is confusing me. How can I play longer than two minutes during the game (I keep running out of Adventures >_<)

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go to the memberlist and find a user with 11-14 posts.
Eat or drink. But don't overdrink
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

An introduction to kingdom of loathing

Post by takenoko »

KoL is an online stick-figure and mostly-text based adventure. It's main feature is the way it parodies pop culture and other video games

TV-Nihon has a clan, feel free to join and enjoy the benefits of being in a clan. This month's Item of the Month is particularly useful for clan users

The basic concept is that you get 40 adventures to spend per day. You can eat food, drink booze, and use spleen items to get more adventures, but you only start with 15 stomach/liver/spleen per day. These settings reset after rollover

You have three stats: Muscle, Myst, and Moxie

Muscle determines how hard you hit and whether you hit with melee items. HP is also based on muscle

Myst determines how much MP that you have as well as how much damage spells do

Moxie determines whether or not you can avoid being hit by monsters and whether you can hit with ranged weapons. After a certain point, monsters cannot hit you unless they get a critical which auto hits

There are six classes that you can play as

Seal Clubber - A muscle class, they hit things with thrust and lunging thrust smack while healing away beaten up with tongue skills. They can club seals with the items in their guild store. Their craft skill allows them to make weapons.

Turtle Tamers - A muscle class, they use butt attacks which can be chained. They tame turtles. They make armor and shields

Pastamancer - A myst class. They use pasta ghosts, gain MP from noodle dishes, and have a skill that allow them to cook some of the best food in the game. Better food = more adventures. Plus spells auto hit. Myst classes are hard to play, but they're rewarding

Saucerer - A myst class. Their crafting skill allows them to make very useful potions. Also spell slingers, they only can cast hot and cold spells though. However, these spells do splashback which gives saucerers useful effects

Disco Bandit - A moxie class. Most beginners will find moxie classes easiest, since they just boost up their moxie and dance around monsters. Plus they can pickpocket items. They also have disco combos

Accordian Thieves - Another moxie class. They can pickpocket plus they have useful buffs. After level 9 they can sneak into other guild stores if they've unlocked their own first.

Items of the Month: The game is free, but people can donate $10 for a Mr. Accessory, which is an item that gives 15 to each stat. But the real use of a Mr. A is that it can be used to be traded for the monthly item in Mr. Store. This month's item provides access to the Clan VIP room which has a Mr Klaw crane game and a Hot Tub which restores all HP and removes all bad status effects 5 times a day. If the clan has a Pool Table, you can get an extra effect 3 times a day. Overall it's very useful, especially for beginners

Goal of the Game: The fun thing about KoL is that there's a lot of ways to play it. The main goal is to beat the Naughty Sorceress at level 13, but after that, you can do side quests. You can ascend as a new class and collect skills. If you do a Hardcore or Pathed Ascesnion you can get special rewards. There's high level content like the Sea. Or Clan group content like Hobopolis.

Outside the game: You can find KoL merchandise appearing on the third season of the IT Crowd. They have a radio station, with archives for the Jick show here: http://radio.kingdomofloathing.com/

It's kind of neat, check it out
jonty
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: An introduction to kingdom of loathing

Post by jonty »

You're missing Accordion Thief!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I was interrupted by a coworker, so I wanted to post it while I could
jonty
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by jonty »

Nice. Covered yourself and made me seem like a nitpicky ass.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I try to do what I can!

I also added some trivia, a link to the radio. Also, it's Feast of Boris today, so people can eat up to 30 fullness (unless they have a stomach of steel)
darkhawk5
Train man
Favorite series: Doragon Bōru
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Raidā
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: supa saiyajin!

Post by darkhawk5 »

Ah...good memories, i used to play this-might give it another shot soon
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

The Hatter squints thoughtfully at you. "I like the cut of your jib," he says, "and that means I jib the like of your cut! Er, nevermind. You can sit next to -- the Cheshire Cat!"

The Hatter gives you a shove and you tumble into a chair next to a big, fat, pink-and-purple-striped cat. "Now make some pleasant conversation," the Hatter says, his eyes gleaming, "or I'll have to chop your hands off and make you eat them!"
"Wow," you say to the cat, "that is one mad Hatter."

"Mad?" the cat replies. "We're all mad, here. Take me, for instance. I'm a cat, but I love lasagna! And I hate Mondays, even though I don't have a job or, really, any responsibilities whatsoever!"

"Well, I admit that's pretty mad," you say, "but I'm not mad."

"Aren't you?" the cat says. "You've been sitting here listening to a cat talk. Cat's can't talk! How do you know this isn't all in your mind? You must look pretty pathetic to anyone who's watching."
Now that's hilarious
kamenriderG
Why are we all 15?
Why are we all 15?
Favorite series: W, OOO, 555, ZX, etc
2nd Favorite Series: all the letters an #
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Disgaea!!!!
Quote: "put your hand in the oven 1 minute and it feels like and hour, watch OOO for and hour and it feels like a minute"

Post by kamenriderG »

yeah dont overdrink....i just had a fierce fight with pink elephants jajajaj and yes the sewers were too hardcore for me :( but im already killing papers and boards :D and i figured out the fax machine was the goal even tho i dont know what the vip room was D:
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Looks like the Crimbo event is in full swing. Trade in your candy for Candy Credit to spend in Crimbotown!

If you were a part of the TV-Nihon clan but have been inactive a while, you might need to rejoin since I clear away inactive accounts every once in a while.
jeevesjaner
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Post by jeevesjaner »

While I was so excited to see KoL on the tv-nihon page I made an account (I had a very poor understanding what a Sentai is...) I think that the new clan dungeon is a little bit too complicated, but mostly too difficult for new players. The amount of pure grinding just to be a high enough level will take a new player a significant amount of time, not to mention the meatfarming for gear and buffs that will be necessary (Even the forest can be very difficult for a level 30 character, after some certain non-combat choices) just to survive combats. Personally, I'd plug the game and the clan, but the dungeon is a beast.

If I wasn't already a big part of another clan, I would join tv-nihon's in a heartbeat. As it is, kmail me in game (JeevesJaner) and I'll be happy to help out any other way I can. Especially if you found some newbies to recruit. I have extra frat paddles.
Burlyben
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!

Post by Burlyben »

Who ever came up with this game a very strange and twisted sense of humor

Return to “Games”