Wii - Top Games for D_B? Opinions Please.

Super Console Wars: Original Generation
D_B
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Please delete this account.
2nd Favorite Series: Please delete this account.
Dreamy: Please delete this account.
Favorite Actor?: Please delete this account.
Favorite Band: Please delete this account.
My boom: Please delete this account.
Quote: Please delete this account.

Wii - Top Games for D_B? Opinions Please.

Post by D_B »

Looking around the boards, I have seen a number of people state they are Nintendo fans. So, I ask for your help.

My Issue:
I recently set up a new LCD screen and a Wii in my bedroom. We have a decent stack of Wii titles (around 50 or so) and there are several my wife really enjoys. "Boom Blox" and "Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Dark Lord" see alot of play when she has time. I am another story totally. So far, the *ONLY* Wii game I have really fallen in love with was "Muramasa: Demon Blade".

So... I spent about 27 hours on Muramasa unlocking everything, and another 6 hours playing the 3rd difficulty before deciding I had just about had enough. It's a FANTASTIC game, and I would rate it an easy 9.5 out of 10, but I can only play against the exact same enemies so many times. And it's the *ONLY* title on the console I have really ENJOYED so far. I need a new game.

I have played alot of the titles people tell me are "MUST OWN" Wii titles already, and for whatever reason I must be defective because they just do not appeal to me at all. "Super Mario Galaxy" and "Twilight Princess", for example, are just nowhere near as good in my opinion as "Super Mario Bros 3" or "A Link to the Past". The "Naruto Shippuuden Clash 3" felt to me like a really crappy Tekken knockoff (and I am a Street Fighter fan and never liked 3D fighters to begin with)... and my great hope for another "OH MY GOD IT's SO GOOD" game failed me miserably when "New Super Mario Bros Wii" incorporated the "shake it like you mean it" gameplay mechanic and no support for the classic controller.

My worst sacrilege (Don't hate me for being defective, I am just being honest and genuine here...) is how badly I despise "Super Smash Brothers Brawl" and "Mario Kart". Neither feels very competitive to me because of how much "extra stuff" (I usually call it "cheesy bull$&!#"...) is in the games compared to what I feel ARE competitive titles, like "Street Fighter" or "F-Zero" (2 of my longtime favorites).

And yes, I have ordered "Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes" for Wii, and I know it is a fun game because we do have it on PS2 as well... but I am really hoping there are a ton of titles I have just not seen or heard about.

So, I am asking for help here... I am not trying to start a flame-war, I don't want a bunch of hostility in this thread... I am not a fanboy of any platform (Unless you count the long-dead Dreamcast, that I still spend 5-10 hours a week gaming on even in 2009) and will try any title that sounds even halfway decent. If you totally disagree with me and think the games I have not enjoyed are the greatest games ever made, hey, great, I am thrilled you like them. I am not gonna try to change your mind, and I am very happy Nintendo is doing well, but my tastes are my own and you won't make me suddenly "see the light" either.

So, PLEASE help me out here guys and gals, what games would you guys tell an old-school antique that seems unable to "embrace the new" and loved Muramasa he should play on his Wii next?

(And please do stick with the Wii here, I have a 360 I am mostly satisfied with and a PS3 that is pretty much what I expected it to be... I just want to fall in love with my Wii! It seems like the system should be alot more entertaining to me than it has been...)

**Added**
Extra Info about my tastes, so you know where I am coming from, so maybe you understand what I am looking for... and maybe I come off less like a stuck up douche. That was not my intent.
My top 10 favorite console games, in no particular order...
Final Fantasy (1, on NES)
Street Fighter IV (PS3)
Metroid (NES)
Mars Matrix (Dreamcast)
Dark Wizard (Sega CD)
F-Zero (GameCube)
Azure Dreams (PS1)
Capcom vs SNK 2 (Dreamcast)
Einhander (PSX)
Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past (SNES)
Please delete this account.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Re: Wii - Top Games for D_B? Opinions Please.

Post by Arigomi »

Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Tales of Symphonia 2 (the core mechanics of the Tales series don't change very much though)
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (this strategy/RPG series is known for being hard)
Excitebots

You might also take a look at other WiiWare games as well.

MegaMan 9
LostWinds
Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People (episodic; I'm not sure if you like point-and-click adventure games)
Kuro
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Kuro »

Now go buy it.

...naruto whatever part gazillion...must own...?
D_B
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by D_B »

TYTY for your replies!

We do have "Fire Emblem", and it is a solid game, but not really my cup of tea. The story is very good and the tactical aspect seems fairly straightforward, but also deep enough to keep you engaged, but "Final Fantasy Tactics" on PSX pretty well did me in on the genre years ago.

We do have "No More Heroes" as well. If it was a straight Classic Controller game I might have enjoyed it ALOT more, and I am looking forward to the PS3/360 port of it. I really detest the way so many Wii titles "cram" those motion controls into as many titles as possible, with no option around them. I looked forward to having "Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2" on the Wii and had the exact same issue with that title... LOVE it on the other platforms, cannot stand it with the forced motion controls. I do enjoy it somewhat when the game FITS the motion controls (like the sports titles, or "Boom Blox", motion control is amazing there!) it's a nice option... but just forcing it in when it really is not needed... it's why I DON'T play "MadWorld", "No More Heroes", "Bully: Scholarship Edition" OR the "New Super Mario Bros Wii". The OPTION to use a Classic Controller would have MADE all of those titles enjoyable for me... instead I just avoid them.

About "Bad Naruto: Fighting game number 56253447238".... most all the reviews you find on the title indicate it is the best fighting game available on Wii in America, so I gave it a try on release day. The reviews all claimed it was a very "deep, engaging" title... but all I found was a generic, really weak 3D fighter... with the horrid American voice actors and no option to revert to Japanese dialogue. WHY is the only truly exciting Naruto game on 360 with no sequel and no port-with-new-content?

I *DID* miss "Tatsunoko versus Capcom"!!! I just hit up my Asian-Players and ordered it!!! I was aware it was due to be released, but like a moron I did not research it. I just assumed "It's a fighting game, it will be a fast easy port to the USA so I should hear about it pretty fast when it is released"... yep... I fail. THANKS for that heads up!!!

At any rate, you guys tipped me off too one game for my little Wii that I AM excited as hell about! So I have 2 great titles incoming! I greatly appreciate it!
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

... that's not moe... ecchi mayhaps, but not moe... *waits for the PS3 port*
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

first level, so no not really, just going by what I've seen of the game.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
HystericalParoxysm
Douchebag. Never unban!
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Ryuki
Dreamy: Rina Koike
Favorite Actor?: 武田 航平
Favorite Band: Gackt
My boom: Final Fantasy Series
Quote: Give It Up, You Can't Win.

Post by HystericalParoxysm »

Hmm.
The only game i can Suggest Is
Super Smash Bros. BRAWL
NAZCA!~
D_B
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

UPDATE

Post by D_B »

Since we all last discussed games for D_B, a few things have been released.

No More Heroes 2 (with Classic Controller support) is a WORK OF ART. Had the first one played like this, it would easily have been in my top games ever list... I am still hoping the PS3 version of NMH1 comes to America so I can play it without wanting to kill myself.

Dragon Ball - Revenge of King Piccolo is another really solid game, classic controller compatible.

Castle of Shikigami III was so amazing it almost made me weep, but it was so short... still an amazing game.

And why did nobody tell me to try The Conduit??? It's a great game even with it's "Wii Waggle" issues. WHY did nobody tell me to grab this title???

I still don't "love" my Wii... but I have a handful of games worth owning now anyway.
大変身
Save the life
Favorite Actor?: Nobuyuki Hiyama

Post by 大変身 »

No More Heroes (First and 2nd)
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
House of the Dead: Overkill
Twitter
iamawesome.com
That Guy
Save the life
Favorite series: Gurren-Lagann
Dreamy: Ozu Urara
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa Shigeki
Favorite Band: Disturbed
My boom: Gurren-Lagann

Post by That Guy »

Have you tried out any of the Metroid Prime games? I haven't tried Prime Trilogy (I own the GC versions) but the motion controls in Prime 3 don't feel over the top to me. 90% point and shoot, and you have the bonus of being able to configure the controls so that you shoot with B (the trigger), making it marginally more realistic. The two things that might get to you are the ability (and sometimes need) to perform a morph ball jump by flicking the Wiimote upwards, and having to swing the Nunchuk forward to use the grapple beam. Other than that, you'll be flicking the cursor a lot to change visors, and you'll occasionally be required to interface with something by twisting or turning the Wiimote.

Also, the reviews say that Prime Trilogy is a bit less than the sum of its parts. Apparently the added motion controls take out the lock-on feature that the first two games are so dependent on, making them varying amounts of harder depending on how well you can keep your hand steady in a frantic battle.
D_B
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by D_B »

I do have the Metroid titles, both on GC and Wii. And I have to agree, the GC controls were much more to my liking, I have played III for maybe an hour all total.

It's another of those games I would give a kidney to have the OPTION of using "old style" control to play. I don't want people that love their Wii and it's "waggle" to lose anything... I'd just like to have the choice of playing like the old man I am instead.

Honestly, I felt like "The Conduit" pretty much ripped off the Metroid III control scheme, but "fixed" it a bit. If you enjoy Metroid III, do grab the Conduit. It was impressive enough I stopped bitching about the control system after the first 15 minutes... something I could not do on No More Heroes 1 or metroid no matter how much I tried.

Return to “Games”