How do you feel about Power Rangers?

Forum for any member who isn't in the NoPowerRangers group. Talk about Americanized shows like Power Rangers and Dragon Knight here.
JT515
Infinity
Favorite series: Super Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider
Dreamy: mao ichimichi
Favorite Band: M.O.V.E

Re: How do you feel about Power Rangers?

Post by JT515 »

ReversedSentai wrote:If you have nothing better to say than to bash the same thing repeatedly in multiple threads, regardless of what the topic might be, then that's spamming.
read my last post. thank you :)
JT515
Infinity

Post by JT515 »

Zelalem wrote:
Lunchboxx wrote:Some seasons may look corny to some people. It just depends on your particular taste.

But I'm a PR nerd so I love all of them......except once Operation Overdrive. I keep sounding like a broken record for saying that, but it's true.
Just Operation Overdrive? I can't stand Turbo, Mystic Force, Overdrive, and Jungle Fury. LOL. But honestly, I love Power Rangers and even though it will almost never be better than it's Japanese counterpart (with the exception of In Space), I still consider PR and SS to be their own big series, rather than two opposing shows that are at each others necks.
i actually found the video game theme to be better because i thought that was unique than just space the reason i think so much people say that in space was much better was that it of course the die hard PR fans just say "it was so dark" but also it connected the storylines of the past series and of course the last 2 episodes was big final battle and there were return of some rangers and stuff like that. thats fine but i find that an invalid reason because just like die hard PR fans base stuff off of nostalgia and love the corny storylines of PR and its a case of just because you like it doesnt mean it great. So if you throw out the dumb PR stoylines and compare it to megaranger and judge it as how it is as an american adaption. it kinda didnt do a good job with that because yes megaranger has space elements but the theme was more on video game and electronics and each ranger has a unique theme behind each suit .

So the point of an adaption it to make it with american actors but keep the storyline pretty much the same and thats were they failed at. Yes there are other series that do it better and yes i know what those series are dont need to hear them for the millionth time but there are some that does a direct copy and fail but with the case with in spece i find it to be overrated with people saying its better because most if not all reasons are invalid. yes im a sentai fan but i like to compare the technicallity of each show than the obvious because die hard PR fans are too stupid to see the obvious so if you go into the technicallity than they will have nothing legit to say but ya lol.
BigSlim
7X
Quote: There is wisdom in tokusatsu shows.

Post by BigSlim »

I want the next season of Akibaranger to infiltrate Toei to protect sentai footage from america. The way sentai footage was used for Samurai was villainy in its purest form. there needs to be a sentai protection taskforce that defends japanese creativity.

You have people who put time, talent, energy, blood, sweat and tears into these shows only to have their work corrupted. In sentai there are well explained reasons for the action, suits, weapons, mecha characters etc. Then the show is americanized it seems the soul is carved out of it.

I understand that alot of tokusatsu heroes represent soldiers from WWII and their war stories. Japan is a country that survived a USA nuke strike and its aftermath. Thats part of why they are able to make so many great hero stories to the point where USA wants to cash in on it.

just my opinion. take it or leave it.
Last edited by BigSlim on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Aldraine
Kamen Knight
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Quote: Koko kara wa ore no sutēji da!

Post by Philip Aldraine »

I know I didn't watch Tokusatsu as a kid, but I did watch Power Rangers.

I liked the older Power Rangers better than the newer ones, but I love Super Sentai more.
I don't know why, but Super Sentai has more action and drama in it than the Power Rangers did. >.> Just saying.
Currently Watching: Ex-Aid, Kyuranger.

'Once you've seen the light, you can never go back to the darkness!'
JT515
Infinity

Post by JT515 »

BigSlim wrote:I want the next season of Akibaranger to infiltrate Toei to protect sentai footage from america. The way sentai footage was used for Samurai was villainy in its purest form. there needs to be a sentai protection taskforce that defends japanese creativity.

You have people who put time, talent, energy, blood, sweat and tears into these shows only to have their work corrupted. In sentai there are well explained reasons for the action, suits, weapons, mecha characters etc. Then the show is americanized it seems the soul is carved out of it.

I understand that alot of tokusatsu heroes represent soldiers from WWII and their war stories. Japan is a country that survived a USA nuke strike and its aftermath. Thats part of why they are able to make so many great hero stories to the point where USA wants to cash in on it.

Yup 100% agree
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

BigSlim wrote: I understand that alot of tokusatsu heroes represent soldiers from WWII and their war stories. Japan is a country that survived a USA nuke strike and its aftermath. Thats part of why they are able to make so many great hero stories to the point where USA wants to cash in on it.
oh, for the love of...PLEASE don't say that stuff. i could go on a rant about how it was, in part, the japanese government the responsible for the nuclear bomb, or which european country had it worse than japan, or how superman or batman, or even iron man alone makes more money than toei could dream of. But no.
First of all. more than one sentai/rider series was a cash-in of a western or even japanese franchise. Second, USA is STILL the country of Heroes. if you don't believe me, there is a little show called "Arrow" that you may want to see.
Enter the Meteor
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
Dreamy: Sawada Shione
Favorite Actor?: Ryo Yoshizawa
Favorite Band: Spiv States
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Learning
Quote: "Kamen Raidā Meteo, Omae no sadame wa ore ga kimeru!"

My Viewing of "Power Rangers" and why I prefer "Super Sentai

Post by Enter the Meteor »

Hello~

Okay, so... where to start! I watched “Power Rangers” from when I was three up until I was 16, then I stopped watching it and now I just watch “Super Sentai” with my mom (it is our bonding time). Anyway... I LOVED Power Rangers when I was three to five. I even changed my name from “T.J.” to “Tommy” (yea, I was THAT crazy about it!), I had these VHS from my neighbors. As you are probably able to tell, I first saw “Mighty Morphin’” , then the “Zeo” film, then “Zeo” and I skipped “Turbo” (I guess they did not show it on “Fox Kids”…) After these, I saw and LOVED “In Space” (I still own the Psycho Rangers VHS that came out, it still works! Go, Psycho Red! After that, I was a tad iffy on “Lost Galaxy” (my mom still likes Maya, I am at a loss.) Once that series ended, I saw “Light speed Rescue”, I liked it. But, my all-time favorite series was and will forever be… “Time Force”! Wes is the best character in the shows history, he even made me not like wearing ties (I think that is where I get my dislike from wearing those horrid things anyway.) Let me see, I stopped watching the “Fox Kids” after that, I had to start… school! No, I started school a year prior to that.  But, in all seriousness, “Wild Force” was just… there to me.

Now, I was out of the loop for a long while (I remember seeing “S.P.D.” on “Jetix”, but then “Jetix” went away, so….)

After about five or so years after that, “Samurai” came on. I watched it and I liked it. But, then once “Super Samurai” came on, blah! I mean, it is NOT a bad show, just that you have to wait a WHOLE year to get 20 episodes, with the word “Super” in fount of the title, is just lame. But, when “Megafource” came on, I watched around three episodes, then I just tuned it out.

Now, let me give my two Power Coins on this whole “stealing ideas” bit. First, let me say that “Power Rangers” and “Super Sentai” are different. I mean, they use the SAME material, but they use it in different ways. I would say it is like having five ingredients in a sandwich, you may put them in a different order (or subtract and add) ingredients, and you get something different.

I would say that I like “Super Sentai” more because of the characterization to gives to the cast, (although, stereotypes are NOT a bad thing! Take Antonio for example, he is the MAIN reason I finished “Super Samurai”)!

Later~
TAKBonez
Kamen Rider Club
Kamen Rider Club
Favorite series: Kyouryuuger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Fourze
Dreamy: Luka Milfy
Favorite Actor?: None
Favorite Band: Punk & Crust
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: Hime hime hime, suki suki daisuki, hime hime
Type: ESFP Performer

Post by TAKBonez »

I liked most but there were quite a few series that I just couldn't stand. I hated Lightspeed Rescue, Mystic Force, Jungle Fury and Operation Overdrive all were either fucking horrid story wise or actor wise. I was surprised that SPD & RPM were so good especially RPM I was totally expecting that to flop. One of my faves tho that doesn't seem to be most peoples was Lost Galaxy.
Kamen Rider Raven
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Shotaro
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Kamen Rider Raven »

BigSlim wrote:I want the next season of Akibaranger to infiltrate Toei to protect sentai footage from america. The way sentai footage was used for Samurai was villainy in its purest form. there needs to be a sentai protection taskforce that defends japanese creativity.

"Corrupted" is your opinion. I haven't seen Samurai, but I've seen most of the other series and I think they've been mostly good. The "Zordon" era was masterfully, with PRiS being absolutely excellent. The series afterward have been rather hit or miss I will admit, but there is no "corruption" here. You are aware that Toei has actually filmed scenes specifically FOR Power Rangers right?
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

Kamen Rider Raven wrote: "Corrupted" is your opinion. I haven't seen Samurai, but I've seen most of the other series and I think they've been mostly good. The "Zordon" era was masterfully, with PRiS being absolutely excellent. The series afterward have been rather hit or miss I will admit, but there is no "corruption" here. You are aware that Toei has actually filmed scenes specifically FOR Power Rangers right?
Samurai had a LOT of problems(mainly that saban had only MOnTHS after buying the franchise again before filming), megaforce shows some improvement not different than what happened with PR s2, but they still need some improvement. by the time of go-buster, they will probably be back on track.(megaforce is still highly enjoyable, tough, i still believe it is not as dull as goseiger was)
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Power Rangers is fine. Both it and Super Sentai are kids shows that will have slightly different restrictions in what they can show based on the country that produces is.

Do I still watch Power Rangers? No. I've seen some of the recent ones and they don't do anything for me, so I stick with Sentai instead. Do I force that opinion on other people like so many others do? No. I cannot berate anyone for watching Power Rangers when, as an adult, I watch Sentai and still spend money on toys. Everyone is entitled to their own likes and dislikes.
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: All Sentai
Dreamy: To many to list!
Favorite Actor?: To many to list
Favorite Band: Van Canto
My boom: ASIAN GIRLS!
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Jake: "Hit it."

Post by Lunchboxx »

If I may post this here:

http://henshingrid.blogspot.com/2013/07 ... entai.html

I've been following This blog for almost 2 years now, and what he writes in this post is exactly how I feel on the situation. It's a good read, I recommend it.
Kamen Rider Unknown
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Kamen Rider Unknown »

Catastrophe wrote:Power Rangers is fine. Both it and Super Sentai are kids shows that will have slightly different restrictions in what they can show based on the country that produces is.

Do I still watch Power Rangers? No. I've seen some of the recent ones and they don't do anything for me, so I stick with Sentai instead...
My thoughts exactly. I started watching Power Rangers and was hook when I first saw it. But after Power Rangers Zeo I was done with it. When I hear how Saban treated his actors and how greedy he actually is. I would've never watched the show in the first place. The only reason I started watching in the first place, is because it was an American (English Speaking) version of a Super Sentai show.
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: All Sentai
Dreamy: To many to list!
Favorite Actor?: To many to list
Favorite Band: Van Canto
My boom: ASIAN GIRLS!
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Jake: "Hit it."

Post by Lunchboxx »

Return to “Americanized stuff”