How do you feel about Power Rangers?

Forum for any member who isn't in the NoPowerRangers group. Talk about Americanized shows like Power Rangers and Dragon Knight here.
Zelalem
Infinity
Favorite series: EHH...TOO MANY!
2nd Favorite Series: EVEN HARDER!
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama
Favorite Actor?: Joe Odagiri
Favorite Band: The Seatbelts
My boom: Cowboy Bebop
Quote: Hate is baggage. Life's too short to be pissed off all the time.

How do you feel about Power Rangers?

Post by Zelalem »

This is a question mostly for people who grew up with Tokusatsu in Japan. How do you people feel about Power Rangers? How did you first hear about it and what was your initial reaction and has it changed over time or not?

How do you feel about the popularity of the show, the differences from Sentai, etc. Do you hate it? Like it ? Don't care for it at all? You decide.

(By the way, I'm not mentioning shows like VR Troopers or Masked Rider because their popularity wasn't the same as their Japanese counterparts.)
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Re: How do you feel about Power Rangers?

Post by ReversedSentai »

Moved topic to the appropriate forum.

But as for me, I really didn't care for it. I did watch parts of it when I want to compare it to its Sentai series, but that's about it. I never found TV-Nihon because of Power Rangers so I could care less about it.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

When i first saw Power Rangers as little kid it was pretty cool. Now I see how some scenes are from the japanese version. Heck they need to stop getting big people for the show cause it doesn't make sense when they transform into the skinny suits >:O
BigSlim
7X
Quote: There is wisdom in tokusatsu shows.

Post by BigSlim »

I feel the same way I would feel about any show that Copies the action scenes, stories and creativity from another show. I say it is trash and perpetrating a fraud. Regardless if I watched power rangers as a kid. The lack of originality is pathetic.

Make your own suits, helmets, monsters....hell.. make your own show and stop corrupting super sentai footage which has blood sweat and tears put into it to make it great.

Its like if you grew up watching Marvel Comics stuff and found Stan Lee copied everything from something SO MUCH BETTER. You'd be like "wtf man i've been watching a ripoff all this time????"
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: All Sentai
Dreamy: To many to list!
Favorite Actor?: To many to list
Favorite Band: Van Canto
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: ASIAN GIRLS!
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Jake: "Hit it."

Post by Lunchboxx »

I'm American, so I never grew up in japan. But I grew up watching Power Rangers when I was little. Hell I still watch every now and then. When I found out about sentai, My foolish mind thought it was a rip off of power rangers! that was untill I found out about pre-Zyuranger shows, then I felt like an asshole.

Now I love sentai just as much as I love Power Rangers. Is PR inferior to Sentai? to me, it's not. Thats because due to different censorship stuff for us Americans, PR is about the same as sentai either way. While I still feel we have been getting stupid on how much voilence isto much for our precious children's minds(eye roll), Power Rangers is still a good show that will stick with me and my childhood till the day I die.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

BigSlim wrote: The lack of originality is pathetic.
Yeah, space insect queen? themes about evil being more complex than it seems? post-apocalypse world with an evil computer trying to make everyone into cyborgs and conquer the world(and BEFORE Go-buster did it?)? Power rangers totally lacks originality.
seriously. not every season is carbon copy of the sentai. And time force is a good example of an adaptation.
BigSlim
7X

Post by BigSlim »

locuas wrote:
BigSlim wrote: The lack of originality is pathetic.
not every season is carbon copy of the sentai. And time force is a good example of an adaptation.
Even timeforce "borrowed" Japan's suit designs and action footage. If subtitles were available then I'd have chosen TimeRanger.

Its ok if im the only one that finds power rangers worthless after discovering Super Sentai.

I don't like imitation beef either its a hamburger or its not. Some people need watered/dumbed down entertainment where death, personal demons, cursing, knives, bullets and real adversity dont exist. I'm not one of those people.

ALL Tokusatsu shows contain deep wisdom that I have NEVER seen in american shows and not because I haven't looked for it. Every episode teaches lessons in humanity that can only be taught through semi realistic trials that their heroes go through.

If you prefer americanized A.D.D. Rangers then more power to you.
Zelalem
Infinity
Favorite series: EHH...TOO MANY!
2nd Favorite Series: EVEN HARDER!
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama
Favorite Actor?: Joe Odagiri
Favorite Band: The Seatbelts
My boom: Cowboy Bebop
Quote: Hate is baggage. Life's too short to be pissed off all the time.

Post by Zelalem »

I think SPD & RPM is a better example of an adaptation. BTW, I have ADHD and I am very offended by what you said! Nah, I'm just kidding.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

time force is a good example of using the same story. SPD is a good example of using the theme(but not the same story). RPM is a good example of...well, using the footage and tell whatever story you want.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Having watched 18 episodes of ZyuRanger so far, I have to say I actually prefer Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. The additional scenes with the bad guys, rangers, and mecha are fun, but for an actual story, ZyuRanger bores me.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Ruecian
Anime skin is so smooth
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Favorite Actor?: Sean Connery
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ruecian »

BigSlim wrote: Its ok if im the only one that finds power rangers worthless after discovering Super Sentai.

I don't like imitation beef either its a hamburger or its not. Some people need watered/dumbed down entertainment where death, personal demons, cursing, knives, bullets and real adversity dont exist. I'm not one of those people.

ALL Tokusatsu shows contain deep wisdom that I have NEVER seen in american shows and not because I haven't looked for it. Every episode teaches lessons in humanity that can only be taught through semi realistic trials that their heroes go through.

If you prefer americanized A.D.D. Rangers then more power to you.
You could just not be a snob. They're both childrens shows and both have their own themes, strengths and weaknesses and were meant to appeal to widely different audiences. Sentai isn't automatically better just because it's from Japan and sometimes has darker material.

OT: I enjoyed Power Rangers a lot growing up and I still appreciate it immensely.
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: All Sentai
Dreamy: To many to list!
Favorite Actor?: To many to list
Favorite Band: Van Canto
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: ASIAN GIRLS!
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Jake: "Hit it."

Post by Lunchboxx »

Ruecian wrote:
You could just not be a snob. They're both childrens shows and both have their own themes, strengths and weaknesses and were meant to appeal to widely different audiences. Sentai isn't automatically better just because it's from Japan and sometimes has darker material.

OT: I enjoyed Power Rangers a lot growing up and I still appreciate it immensely.

If I could give you a Cookie and a hug, I would. What you said makes sense and I dont get why these Hardcore Power Ranger and Super Sentai nuts get so worked up over which is better.

Like I said, KID SHOWS! DIFFERENT CENSORSHIPS! ENJOY BOTH!

But that's just my way of thinking.
BigSlim
7X

Post by BigSlim »

Ruecian wrote:

typical name calling for having a different opinion. target audience is irrelevant to whether a show copies another's creativity.

Power Rangers uses the Japanese ideas but carves the Japanese Actors out of the footage that they use. Sentai is always automatically better because they make their show from scratch. Original suits, stories, mecha, sounds you name it. Instead of cutting and pasting action overseas to sell toys like power rangers does.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

first, do you know how much original footage some PR shows like rpm or some of the team-ups has?
second, automatically better? that's like saying seven samurai is automatically better than the magnificent seven!
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Dude. Toshiro Mifune. No contest. It is automatically better than Magnificent Seven. :P

Return to “Americanized stuff”