Powerangerized stuff

Forum for any member who isn't in the NoPowerRangers group. Talk about Americanized shows like Power Rangers and Dragon Knight here.
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Powerangerized stuff

Post by TBustah! »

It was just Saban's thing, but like I said, sometimes it's hard to tell if you haven't seen both shows. This one is a bit stranger, but not impossible. TMNT has not only been shown in Japan, they had an exclusive spinoff series of the 1987 show, which coincidentally borrowed a lot of elements from Super Sentai.

There's more than just the Rad Bug, there are a lot of other things that you'd think were Saban's or Disney's creations because they're stupid or weird, or that you'd think are Toei's because they're dark.

Hamster sensei in Ninja Storm? Hurricaneger had it first.

Spoiler
Pink dying in Lost Galaxy? Not in Gingaman.

The giant talking dog in SPD named Doggie? Not only was it Dekaranger's idea, the suit looked even more ridiculous.

Spoiler
Old guy dying in Jungle Fury, and several other dead masters? Not only were those Disney's ideas, they replaced the decidedly more family-friendly mascot suit kenseis of Gekiranger.

The list goes on.
butyoumight
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Sengoku Ryouma
Favorite Actor?: Jinnai Sho
My boom: Persona 4
Quote: Ware wa kage, shinnaru ware.

Re: Powerangerized stuff

Post by butyoumight »

Hamster sensei in Ninja Storm? Hurricaneger had it first.
"Dude, he's a guinea pig."

I'm sorry, I had to. XD But yeah, I remember being surprised when I finally got into Sentai (since Ninja Storm was the first season I watched when I got back into PR as a teenager), since I'd always been led to believe that the Sentai was always more ~serious. Then I found out that one of the most ridiculous plot points of Ninja Storm was not only lifted from Hurricanger with a slight species change, but that Hurricanger might possibly be MORE ridiculous than Ninja Storm (ears on the helmets, I mean, come on!)
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: All Sentai
Dreamy: To many to list!
Favorite Actor?: To many to list
Favorite Band: Van Canto
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: ASIAN GIRLS!
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Jake: "Hit it."

Post by Lunchboxx »

Doggie Kruger (USA Version) had a better looking suit in my opinion.

But yeah Power Rangers never lifted EVERY idea straight from sentai, and that's what I liked about it. They still went with their own ideas and creations most of the time.

Some of my Saban only creations/ideas were Lord Zedd, Titanium Ranger, Ransik, Spirit Rangers, Messagog, and Grumm.
Digifiend
Gabu

Post by Digifiend »

TBustah! wrote:
Spoiler
Pink dying in Lost Galaxy? Not in Gingaman.
That one was because the actress got sick and had to leave. If the same thing happened in Japan, then likely they'd replace the actor and Saban wouldn't. An actor leaving mid-series did happen a few times in early Sentais (Gorenger, Battle Fever twice, Sun Vulcan, Bioman), but never since PR started.
[kuronogantzryu]
Everything is drama!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Dreamy: Mirei Kiritani
Favorite Actor?: Tatsuya Fujiwara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by [kuronogantzryu] »

The reasons listed above are why Samurai is hard to watch. Seems like the whole series is copying Shinkenger in every way.
ImageImage
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

It's not just that it's copying Shinkenger, for me; It's that it's doing it poorly. Compare from "Fight Fire with Fire" to the series' end to the equivalent Shinkenger arc. It's cut-and-paste-and-Americanize-no-time-to-proof-read television.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

My issue with Samurai is the fact that they tried to do the one of every ethic group thing again with a plot line about being Japanese descendents. The only Japanese ranger was the pink one. They should at least had two or three Japanese actors with the red one definitely being Japanese. Trying to say they are all Japanese-Americans so that is why they don't look Japanese is sort of stretching it.

I really did hope though when they revealed female red she would have been Japanese and they say something about the blonde guy being adopted. That would have been a couple of nice nods to Shinkenger... but nope.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

i think they should have dropped the whole "samurai" theme and replace it with kendo. yeah, the original theme is pretty obvious, but they pulled it off in MMPR season 2. or hell, if you want to do the samurai thing so bad, do the whole "chosen ones" from wild force and lost galaxy, instead of them shouting "samurai, samurai" all the time.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Did anyone else notice, particularly MMPR1-Zeo, that the civilian and American shot ranger footage matched the corresponding sentai fighting style?
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Kuchiri »

Well in Turbo they had to deal with Carranger which was a parody. I mean some of the fighting styles they tried using early MMPR might have worked for the footage but for the most part they were dealing with CAAAAAAR MAGIC.
Glutinus
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Quote: Dream team : GokaiYellow (Luka), DekaGreen (Sen-Chan), ShinkenBlue (Ryunosuke), BoukenPink (Sakura). Red is vacant :)

Post by Glutinus »

locuas wrote:i think they should have dropped the whole "samurai" theme and replace it with kendo.
They never would had done this ! Seriously, if you're trying to sell Power Rangers toys to eight y.o children in America and Europe (and other continents too by the way), who would buy Power Rangers : Kendo stuff ? Samurai is so much badass.

Fav Sentai 1st : Gokai, Deka, Bouken, Go-Busters, Kyuu, Shinken, Gosei, Gao.
Fav KR 1st : OOO, W, Kiva, Gaim, Drive, Fourze, Den-O20*, Wizard, Ghost, Ex-Aid
Fav Garo 1st : Yami, Senki, Hana, Garo, Zero
* currently watching.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

i'm talking from a narrative standpoint.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Kuchiri »

The problem is the fact that it's clearly not Kendo. They would of had to change the Shinkenmarus to either look more like shinai, or explain what a bokuto is. They would of had to do virtually all original scenes. They would even have to film their own Megazord scenes aside from Gold by himself.

Most episodes are carbon copies of Shinkenger almost directly taking the script just changing some words.

While there are some seasons of PR that are completely different from their Japanese counterpart. This season was completely constrained to Samurai. They couldn't work around the fact that the footage is full of Japanese symbols and the swords are katanas.

Next season since Goseiger is about angels and you know in America... ANGELS MEANS CHRISTIANITY!! WE CAN'T EXPOSE CHILDREN TO THAT!!!! They are doing two things. One, they are combining footage from Goseiger with Gokaiger. There will be things called Ranger Cards that will go into the Tensou to transform them to previous Power Ranger teams. Which would probably be done with Gokai footage.

The teams will be a bunch of teenagers with attitude that goes to a High School, since it fits with the Power Rangers motif and they probably don't have a good reason why they look the way they do in suit.

Return to “Americanized stuff”