Power Rangers Super Megaforce

Forum for any member who isn't in the NoPowerRangers group. Talk about Americanized shows like Power Rangers and Dragon Knight here.
Glutinus
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Quote: Dream team : GokaiYellow (Luka), DekaGreen (Sen-Chan), ShinkenBlue (Ryunosuke), BoukenPink (Sakura). Red is vacant :)

Power Rangers Super Megaforce

Post by Glutinus »

Okay.

So I just watched the first episodes of SMegaforce.
First at all, I would like to say that I just watched, as I was a child, MMPR and don't have a lot of souvenirs about this one. Last year I just watched a few Megaforce episodes to compare with Goseiger.
Now that SMegaforce begun, I just watch to be curious about how they would do things about the morphers.

First at all the rythm of the first episode was quite quick since there is two general battles, from Gokaiger episode 1 and 2. How we could have guessed, they just didn't make Goranger appear and directly go to Samurai + Mystic Force. It is sad because these morphs don't give anything very interesting in the battle, whereas Goranger has something special with the Goranger Hurricane. They finally made a "Final Strike" which made me happy. It is not as good as the Final Wave but try to make something like that.

For the second battle, since Hakase transformed to GoseiRed, they made Jack turned into Red Overdrive, which is kind of stupid since the duo Luka/Hakase must use magical fire. I don't know why they did not transfered Megorce to a legendary key. It is strange that they used CGI to turn into. Or if he would have use CGI, why not change into Lost Galaxy (Gingaman) so he could have used fire ?

Well, everything that we can complain about Power Rangers vs Sentai is the same here. Stupid jokes. Saying stupid things the moments we have nothing to say. Always yelling.

And here the jokes is just "Super Mega here" and "Super Mega There". The first time it's nice. And then... HAAAAA ! just boring.

Or they just commenting everything they say. When they turn into SPD Red just saying "Take out the missiles, and then him". Whow, his friends are just so stupid that they cannot think about priorities ?
I don't know if in original Ninja Storm they made a translation about "Kage no Mai" but here just saying their weapon names --'

I remembered one of the reason I watched Gokaiger is the exciting yelling coming out from the mobilate everytime they changed. Here characters just yelling the name of the Power Rangers they changed into. So why didn't they do that when they make the first All-Red change ?

However there was funny moments. The first very moments I laughed was the moment Jake (Megaforce Black) say "Am I the only one that notice that my key is the wrong color ?" and then Gosei don't have the time to explain this simple explanation :) maybe he will never have time to explain ^^

I wonder if one moment someone would be enough smart to say "Hey guys ? Why do we have a pirate skull on our suits ?" or "Why our Zord looks like a pirate ship ?"
And it is sad that the fact that they can switch weapons was just to get "double powers" and not about some hard work training to surprise the enemies. Jake is also saying that he likes he's new powers but became clumsier. However I'm a bit hard because the changing of way of fighting between Goseiger and Gokaiger did not really appear on the fight. Except on Troy's fight when he takes a Xborg (Gourmin) as human (or droid) shield. So the heroic Red Ranger because suddenly a coward ? :)

However I really enjoyed myself in this first episode. Really. I think I will watch a few of them :)

Fav Sentai 1st : Gokai, Deka, Bouken, Go-Busters, Kyuu, Shinken, Gosei, Gao.
Fav KR 1st : OOO, W, Kiva, Gaim, Drive, Fourze, Den-O20*, Wizard, Ghost, Ex-Aid
Fav Garo 1st : Yami, Senki, Hana, Garo, Zero
* currently watching.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Power Rangers Super Megaforce

Post by Catastrophe »

Uh, the reason Megaforce doesn't get a key is because Super Megaforce is a power up? It would make absolutely no sense to power down for whatever reason.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

I just watch the preview of the Super Megaforce "Earth Fights Back"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21iPZqVn_oY

Change into DaiRangers... very disappointing.

chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

Pretty cool first episode. I liked the opening sequence and the Mall scene. Loved Jake pointing out how he has a Green Ranger key and the action scenes that followed. The only things I didn't like was how crammed this episode became because they had the Sentai footage to use. We barely get to know and hate the monsters being used. Also I am not buying Gosei's reasoning for the team needing this Super Mega Force upgrade. I wanted a more believable reason. Other than that, I am excited in seeing how this season will go. Hope it doesn't disappoint since it will be crammed up.
Tsukino Ko'uma
Infinity
My boom: Fluffle Puff
Quote: "I just don't know what went wrong!" - Derpy

Post by Tsukino Ko'uma »

Still wondering why Dairanger was used.

Not like they needed the specific powers. Only one I could see being NEEDED is Jetman if they still
Spoiler
get ejected from the Animarium

[quote="Glutinus"][/quote]
Why Jake is green instead of black might be the Power Rangers version of how Dekamaster's face fits in the helmet.

Also the vastly different characterizations are pretty much what happens when you make the same Power Rangers be different Sentai rangers. XD
The fun has been doubled.

Glutinus
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Quote: Dream team : GokaiYellow (Luka), DekaGreen (Sen-Chan), ShinkenBlue (Ryunosuke), BoukenPink (Sakura). Red is vacant :)

Post by Glutinus »

Tsukino Ko'uma wrote:Still wondering why Dairanger was used.

Not like they needed the specific powers. Only one I could see being NEEDED is Jetman if they still
Spoiler
get ejected from the Animarium
Another good utilisation of ranger key is
Spoiler
when Luka used Gogo V key to extenguish fire. She could have use any water-based ranger key but the emergency of fire was well found ;)

I don't know if we'll get an answer about DaiRangers. I think it's just a mistake and they won't talk about it anyway.

EDIT : ho sorry you were talking about Episode 2.

So Episode 2 was using the Dekaranger-tribute episode. A lot of things could be done.
A shame that they didn't get (or chose to get) a PRSPD actor for the tribute.

Rythm of the episode was lacking if we compare to the first one. Stupid professor, Jake in the ice-cream outfit, losing a lot of time... Gosei said that Troy is in danger ? No, his friends do not seemed alarmed !

However the episode was chosen very well. While earth is in reconstruction, they chose to use the action commander to send missiles to get cities destroyed. However the story occurred just like that. Troy was just thinking about RoboKnight and then arrived to the place. Very stupid.

Hey ? They are still using the Megaforce (Goseiger) outfits ? Yes maybe it is why Overdrive (Boukenger) replaced Goseiger in the all-red transformation.

Hooo I hate how they comment every move they do in fighting.

My God !! Troy, you had 2 hours to stop the missiles and you chose just the final moment to use Super Megaforce ? What did you do until that ? Just playing hide & seek ?

Now the transformation in this episode was RPM to begin with and SPD to finish. The great question was : would they use the Dairanger transformation ? Answer : YES ! And why is the reason ? Ta-daa ! Gosei just said that they can use them ! So why didn't they used Goranger in the first episode ?

The same reason is used. Gosei just chose that they have the rights to use SPD to power-up the Zord. OK. Just like that.

Episode 2 conclusion : I think that they have chosen a good episode to use the episode 2. Using a good rythm to show that the villains are a real threat, even if earth is in reconstruction. But why would they wouldn't be contacted by, for example, Anubis Cruger (Doggie Kruger) ? I won't say that they must use the same story, but it is a suited character so it would have been more logical to use him so they could say that SPD is the real power.

Well, I don't know what to think about the remaining episodes.

* currently watching.
Glutinus
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Glutinus »

3rd episode.
It's very hard to watch a PR show and not tryin to compare with the original plot.

This was a quite good episode finally. It uses the footage of Gokaiger episode 5, in which Joe wants to prove that he is the best swordman and finally met a great enemy. Ahim helped him a lot by watching him.

Even the footage was enough to not use the same story, it is almost the same that it used in this episode. Noah wants to prove to the rest of the team that he can do stuff by himself. It is strange that he became suddenly a skilled swordman, as in Goseiger he manipulates an axe. The story is quite the same, as Emma is looking at him while he was trying alone in the forest.

Well there was 2 very strange points :

- First MOTW suddenly decided to focus on blue... and then, there was no reason at all ! Not something like "It feels like that you are a skilled swordman" or something like that. How strange...
- In the final strike, he uses the late 5 blue ranger keys who can use water. In first episode, they exchange Goseired (taken by Gokaigreen) by Operation Overdrive (Boukenger), who doesn't use fire by the way, and we learn later that SuperMegaforce is just an upgrade of Megaforce. And here, they decided to finally use the Blue Megaforce key ? But why ?
However during this final strike, he names all the blue rangers that is used, which gave me the chill in Gokaiger (just this GOOOSEIGER ! SHIIINKENGER ! MAAAGIRANGER ! HUUURICANGER ! GIIINGAMAN !!! is one of the best moment of this series), but doesn't tell "Blue s(p)lash !".

It is sad that they didn't try to improve the character developement around Noah and why he wants so much to do it by himself. We know that he is some quite of geek (he's wearing glasses !) but never he mentioned something like that he is weaker and he must win to be a Ranger.

But finally it was some good episode.
Just note that it is three straight episodes that uses the SPD keys :)

* currently watching.
Tsukino Ko'uma
Infinity

Post by Tsukino Ko'uma »

Weird... suddenly they have Super Megaforce keys when they didn't before? Kind of reminds meof Fist of the North Star with how part of the time it was Fist of the As-The-Plot-Demands (it was a good series though and it as a whole is good despite beng made up on the spot).

Anyways Jetman and Dairanger look enough like the other 90s Sentai shows to blend in despite being totally new (to Power Rangers at least). Liveman, Turboranger, and Fiveman do too if they need filler changes.

chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

Episode 4 thoughts: This episode was alright only. I liked seeing the Rangers in their costume without their helmets, liked the amount of original fight footage and them having to go on a quest to find the Lion. Things I didn't like was the quick Black Ranger change because it barely lasted a few seconds, some poor CGI effects and the fact that we are not getting an actual Ranger to make cameo appearances. Other than those, I am still digging this season.
Tsukino Ko'uma
Infinity

Post by Tsukino Ko'uma »

They didn't reshoot the Animaria ejection, instead hoping nobody notices TURBORANGERS fall off thousands of feet without dying or their suits exploding.

Basically MMPR and Masked Rider! laziness.

Then suddenly for no discernible reason Red Lion decides to join them.

But considering it's Neo-Saban era, it's... better than Samurai. Not as good as Jungle Fury though.

EDIT: Funny thing is when I am simply watching the show I enjoy it but when I analyze it it seems to be a "watching a beautiful trainwreck" thing.

chronoxiong
Salami Commander

Post by chronoxiong »

Episode 5 thoughts: I enjoyed this episode. Finally we got some guest appearances, a little bit better dialogue, original Megaforce suit fight footage and a civilian fight scene. The sense of conflict against Prince Vekar and Argus felt more intense too. Loved Prince Vekar's "Super Mega hurry up and finish them already" line. I just really wished we got actual names for these never before seen team transformations. They deserve a name. Hell, give them a Galaxy Rangers name or something.

However, there is a lot of controversy from fans because of all these Sentai teams appearing here in the US for the first time ever. But with no realistic reasons and no names are given to these teams. Also, now fans are questioning about what amount of footage Koichi Sakamoto (who was busy with Kyouryuuger) was called in to help film last year. What's the point of filming a US version of the Legend War if these pre-Zyuranger teams are appearing with no logical explanation?
Glutinus
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Glutinus »

chronoxiong wrote:Episode 5 thoughts: I enjoyed this episode. Finally we got some guest appearances, a little bit better dialogue, original Megaforce suit fight footage and a civilian fight scene. The sense of conflict against Prince Vekar and Argus felt more intense too. Loved Prince Vekar's "Super Mega hurry up and finish them already" line. I just really wished we got actual names for these never before seen team transformations. They deserve a name. Hell, give them a Galaxy Rangers name or something.
Won't add a lot over what you say. This episode was indeed pretty good. Everything about the villains was very fun actually, even their puns were way better than the Ranger's.
Like the fact that didn't put Noah again in front, since two episodes ago the episode was focusing on him. I was curious to see if they would use all the previous team during the spamming. However we could see Ryu Ranger, Yellow Mask and Pink Flash (and why not Green Sai or Midoranger for Jake ?).
Since this episode was in two episodes in Gokaiger, we could see a lot of battle including Mighty Morhin', which I'm sure, will give a lot of pleasure for the first PR fans. And we could also finally see a previous ranger giving advice.

* currently watching.
Glutinus
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Glutinus »

Episode 6

This episode was made with the footage of the Gekiranger tribute episode : Green and Pink having a martial art lesson with Jungle Fury leader.
It was a nice episode, especially because they used somehow the same story than Gekiranger episode, which made a logical fight. But they have to introduce re-morph all the story : Jake and Emma becoming suddenly weaker than Gia and even Noah.

Not a lot of stuff to say. I just realize in this episode that the most boring in PR is that they have to explain EVERY move they do. For example, when Pacha Chamak cut this building, he just COMMENTS that he does ! We're not that blind !

How, they did not use Sun Vulcan fight. What a shame :(

Love how Troy is lecturing everyone about "A ranger never loses his weapon", and then to Pacha Chamak "Whatever, if it is what you want".

* currently watching.
Tsukino Ko'uma
Infinity

Post by Tsukino Ko'uma »

Might sound unlike a Sentai fan to say it's probably best they don't use any of the rangers from the first 5 years or any with cotton looking suits. But it seems better for Power Rangers, if it's going to have Sentai-exclusive teams shown, that at least they look like suits that could come from the 21 years of Power Rangers.

That being said, I don't get how Casey could be "that mysterious guy nobody else remembers who vanishes once the job is done". At least Jayden and Jii were remembered. But... eh... oh well.

chronoxiong
Salami Commander

Post by chronoxiong »

Episode 7 was a good episode. Really loved the original Lost Galaxy fight scene. The suits look great in HD. Didn't mind the shot of the Dragon Dagger deactivating the force field because only those who watched Gokaiger will notice it. Nice introduction for Orion as well. Seems like he is from another world judging from him leaving his space ship in the beginning. Hope we get some good development from him. He's obviously not a fanboy like Gai. I really wonder what will be the explanation for the 6th Ranger keys since this show has no Basco.

Return to “Americanized stuff”