Dragon Knight in America

Forum for any member who isn't in the NoPowerRangers group. Talk about Americanized shows like Power Rangers and Dragon Knight here.
kaemmerite
Robo's Birthday
Favorite series: Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: JRPGs

Re: Dragon Knight in America

Post by kaemmerite »

Crap I was going to watch it on Youtube but they took it down too quick. CURSE YOU CORPORATE FATCATS! *shakes fist at sky*
KickHopper
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR W & Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Keitei Sousakan 7
Dreamy: Why yes I am
Favorite Actor?: Watanabe Hiroyuki
Favorite Band: Royksopp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Film Noir
Quote: "Walking the path of Hell, the man who serves no one."

Post by KickHopper »

kaemmerite wrote:Crap I was going to watch it on Youtube but they took it down too quick. CURSE YOU CORPORATE FATCATS! *shakes fist at sky*
Veoh.com is your friend

zeta_gundam wrote:I think the Japanese sound effects are nicer. (Sword Vent, the ringing sound when a monster is nearby blablabla)

- Looks like the movie (Ryuki) riders are mainstream riders in Dragon Knight.
- Does the guy say "Kamen Rider" when he transforms? o.o
- Weird names for the Riders.
- Masked vigilante who has a motif of a bat. Wouldn't that make him Batman?
- Typical American kiddie show, slow mo on all the fighting scenes. ><
- The girl's using an ancient camera ><
- LOL, the whole fighting scene was from episode 1 of Ryuki. Not a single bit of originality. I mean can't they make their own? The background is different for goodness sake!

And it's funny how the Japanese call it "Masked Rider" while the Americans call it "Kamen Rider". Do American kids know what "Kamen" is, supposing that they have never encountered the "Kamen Rider" from Japan?
Half the time they used the same sound effect for the mirror monster sense.

- Yes. But we knew this.
- Yes he does. Much better than the original line "Kamen Rider... Wing Knight... INITIATE!"
- Yes we've gone over the weird names for half the riders (still chuckles at Kamen Rider Thrust)
- Image Image
- It's America. Martial arts related filming hasn't been the same since the Matrix. Get used to it.
- What's wrong with old cameras? They work just fine. Buying used isn't a problem either. I bought a used Nikon 8008s (film camera), still use it to this day, and still shoot better than a lot of people I see using digital SLRs
- Why were you expecting anything different. It's a direct (somewhat) adaptation of Ryuki. The first fight scene was completely original material though, and I for one was rather impressed.
ImageImage
Nihon_Rider_105
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Decade
Favorite Actor?: Ryosuke Miura
Favorite Band: Alice Nine
My boom: Shock A Lacka
Quote: it's not the destination,it's the journey

Post by Nihon_Rider_105 »

I'm personally looking forward to it. It is true people bash it before it has even aired,which I think is harsh.I have watched 16 episodes of Ryuki so far,it is a good show.Can DK top it?Well I doubt it but it doesnt mean it will be bad.We know it will be better than the old Saban Masked Rider due to the fact that....well nothing can be WORSE than that.
zeta_gundam
Save the life
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

KickHopper wrote:Half the time they used the same sound effect for the mirror monster sense.

- It's America. Martial arts related filming hasn't been the same since the Matrix. Get used to it.
- What's wrong with old cameras? They work just fine. Buying used isn't a problem either. I bought a used Nikon 8008s (film camera), still use it to this day, and still shoot better than a lot of people I see using digital SLRs
- Why were you expecting anything different. It's a direct (somewhat) adaptation of Ryuki. The first fight scene was completely original material though, and I for one was rather impressed.
- There's some diff in the sound. Listen carefully.
- Shows that I haven't been watching American shows lately. (I'm Singaporean btw ><)
- Nothing's wrong with old cameras. I was just expecting some camera company to take the chance to 'advertise' their camera. (Though the camera got smashed and it shows that it isn't Kamen Rider-proof, but hey!)
- I have to agree with you on the first fight scene, it kind look cool.
kaemmerite
Robo's Birthday

Post by kaemmerite »

I thank you, KickHopper. I was able to see it on Veoh, even though at the end the sound went WAY out of sync (lagged by about five seconds). At any rate I thought it was pretty decent, though as others have said it's a bit hard to judge given that it's a "to be continued" deal.

It's certainly setting itself up to be fairly different from Ryuki though, given the monsters that come into the real world (but no one can see them apparently). Though oddly enough, just from the first episode, these guys technically qualify more as Kamen Riders than most of the characters from Ryuki, by which I mean, Wing Knight was actually riding a bike during the first fight scene. Kido just has a scooter and while Ren has a bike, he doesn't use it in Mirror World. Maybe the bikes show up in Ryuki later though, kind of like how Hibiki didn't get a bike until about 20 episodes in.

Someone mentioned the camera thing, but actually, a lot of professional photographers still use film cameras for various reasons, and the camera didn't look all that old besides.

By the way, the guy who plays Wing Knight looks like a douche. What I mean by that is how he looks, not how he acts (I know the Rider isn't a nice guy). I mean Ren kind of looked like a jerk but he also looked like he could be a decent guy. Not this guy. It must be the sunglasses and black clothes. It just looks...awful. >.>;;
Kaheraji
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Kaheraji »

I admit that I know nothing about the Foster Care system, but do they really go "Happy 18th birthday! Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out."?
jolly_old_saint
Faiz
Favorite series: Gumby
2nd Favorite Series: Dengekibikifaizenger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by jolly_old_saint »

Nihon_Rider_105 wrote:I'm personally looking forward to it.
We know it will be better than the old Saban Masked Rider due to the fact that....well nothing can be WORSE than that.
How could you not love Masked Rider? It had the most dramatic opening ever and a bug-man with a lightsaber what slowly learned how to love. Plus, it introduced Ferbus every episode! And this was back when he was cool/somewhat creepy. Nowadays he just lays Furby eggs...
Kamen Rider Rey
7X

Post by Kamen Rider Rey »

True hell i loved masked rider it pretty much got me into the kamen rider series.
Koodies
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by Koodies »

Omg ... saying "Kamen rider" rather then transform -__- man man man wth is this funny story oso .. lol
TakoGunsou
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: 仮面ライダー電王
2nd Favorite Series: ケータイ捜査官7
Dreamy: ナオミ ^^
Favorite Actor?: 中村 優一
Favorite Band: MYV
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Den-o cospaly

Post by TakoGunsou »

Koodies wrote:Omg ... saying "Kamen rider" rather then transform -__- man man man wth is this funny story oso .. lol
Honestly, it's better then the "initiate" in the pilot XD

Though I think they should have just kept "henshin" at least is sounds cooler (to me) , if their excuse was that kids wouldnt understand it then...well lets just say how many American children know what "kamen" (out side of the ones who are Japanese or have seen the original) means anyway? やれやれ, It WILL be funny. XD
PANTS.
That's right.

Spoiler
男性が大好きです...でも、女性も好きです。はい、バイセクスアルです。 XDDDDDDD oh, yes.
kaemmerite
Robo's Birthday

Post by kaemmerite »

After looking at the promos I almost feel like they kept "Kamen" just so they could make the godawful puns.
KickHopper
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR W & Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Keitei Sousakan 7
Dreamy: Why yes I am
Favorite Actor?: Watanabe Hiroyuki
Favorite Band: Royksopp
My boom: Film Noir
Quote: "Walking the path of Hell, the man who serves no one."

Post by KickHopper »

kaemmerite wrote:After looking at the promos I almost feel like they kept "Kamen" just so they could make the godawful puns.
Yes. Yes they did.
ImageImage
IijumiSoukai
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Tenchi Muyo
2nd Favorite Series: Rescue Fire
Dreamy: Yoko Mitsuya <3
Favorite Actor?: Should I have one?
Favorite Band: Ask above
My boom: Drawing

Post by IijumiSoukai »

Kaheraji wrote:I admit that I know nothing about the Foster Care system, but do they really go "Happy 18th birthday! Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out."?
No wonder people are screaming for foster care reform.
kaemmerite wrote:After looking at the promos I almost feel like they kept "Kamen" just so they could make the godawful puns.
Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Kamen.
Kamen Who?
Kamen(come on) and open the door. It's cold out here. :lol: :lol: :lol:
garfield15
Save the life
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Saki-chan
Favorite Band: FLOW
My boom: Nintendo Wii

Post by garfield15 »

KickHopper wrote:
Yes. Yes they did.
Actually that's 4crap's fault honestly. They need to get their material from somewhere! Even if its mocking the Japanese language.
------------------
Thank you TV-Nihon for the release

(This way I don't have to write it every time and I'm still showing appreciation!")
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

Dude, after the liberties the Japanese take with English, I think we're allowed a few return shots.

But really, the word "kamen" exists IN English already. This show could have had so much more potential if it was about how Michael Kamen gave them their decks and told them to buy his soundtracks, instead of some junk about some generic general somewhere.

Return to “Americanized stuff”