Power Rangers Samurai

Forum for any member who isn't in the NoPowerRangers group. Talk about Americanized shows like Power Rangers and Dragon Knight here.
KickHopper
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR W & Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Keitei Sousakan 7
Dreamy: Why yes I am
Favorite Actor?: Watanabe Hiroyuki
Favorite Band: Royksopp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Film Noir
Quote: "Walking the path of Hell, the man who serves no one."

Re: Power Rangers Samurai

Post by KickHopper »

Lunagel wrote:Honestly, what crossed my mind was that if the kanji weren't so damn prominent, they probably would've called it Power Ranger Knight or something. So far they've managed to rip out pretty much all of the Japanese-ness that made Shinkenger so awesome because you could see the little attention to detail. I'm honestly not seeing anything that makes them "samurai" other than the fact that the narration says they are.
Ignoring the dojo, the jii, and the samurai training of course
ImageImage
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Replace "samurai" with "karate master" and it's basically the same thing.

Besides, like I said, they took out everything Japanese that made the Shinkengers samurai. I believed it when Takeru was a lord, but with the PRS, all I see is some kids in pajamas. The dojo is a garden, Ji seems to be the motivational speech guy (keeping in mind that the original Jii was a retainer, but since they seem to have taken that part out, he's just a stand in for the "wise old master" they have in every PR show), and the samurai training is them waving a bunch of swords around, so again, take out the kanji and you have Power Ranger Knights.
KickHopper
Kamen Knight

Post by KickHopper »

Last I checked, karate has nothing to do with training specifically in swordsmanship.
Last I checked, the Shinkenger dojo was "a garden" too. And this Ji has the same role as the original.

You're seriously just grasping at straws here. I honestly believe you're just looking for reasons to complain about this show.
Because honestly, someone could've said "Shinkenger aren't samurai cause they're not wearing topknots, and there's no such thing as female samurai, and kuroko are stage hands not samurai assistants."

And no, taking out the kanji wouldn't be "Power Ranger Knights" because again, last I checked, knights didn't wear asian inspired gi, didn't train with Japanese kendo swords, didn't have katana based weapons, and wouldn't have a mech that looks like a samurai.

I honestly believe you're just hating on the show because it's Power Rangers, doesn't have an all Japanese cast, and is campy for the kids. I'm willing to bet you don't watch a lot of the Sentai or Rider shows with the same amount of criticism.
ImageImage
Ryuki911
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Blade
Favorite Actor?: Suzuki Shogo
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cocoa Otoko
Quote: You can't see the rainbow if you don't live through the rain

Post by Ryuki911 »

I'm just curious as to where they are going with the series seeing as they took out the most prominent part of the plot, that being ShinkenRed was a lord. <ost of its episodes were based around that fact and so far the episodes always feel incomplete when i watch them. Anyone else feel that way?

The series overall isn't terrible, better than Turbo and Jungle Fury at the very least but I think for a comeback series it certainly is lacking a certain flair to it. The only complaint is that during the transformation scenes they turn into ninjas of some sort, with the whole black head mask and all. I realize that as a kids show its trying attract children's attention by putting in something familiar but Samurai and Ninja's are different and the fact that they are mixing them like they are the same thing is annoying.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

KickHopper wrote:You're seriously just grasping at straws here. I honestly believe you're just looking for reasons to complain about this show.

Because honestly, someone could've said "Shinkenger aren't samurai cause they're not wearing topknots, and there's no such thing as female samurai, and kuroko are stage hands not samurai assistants."
I honestly watched it with an open mind, and frankly, I liked it a lot better than the more recent stuff. The effects were decent, acting was okay, the plot was about the same as Shinken, so no complaints there. My old nemesis "corny puns" was there but at this point it's kinda a staple of the series and at least they made sense.

If it seems like I'm nitpicking, it's cause I feel like this has potential, just I'm not feeling what is supposed to be the main focus of the series. The thing about samurai is that they're quintessentially Japanese, and if they take all that out, well, it doesn't work for me. We're in a big Japan boom right now, what with Naruto and Bleach, and this is the best time to make something, call it Japanese and it'll be automatically cool. The opportunity was there, I guess I'm just a little disapointed they didn't take it.
Joe_Mello
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: The Iromonea

Post by Joe_Mello »

One has to wonder if the concepts that romanticize the samurai (servitude, loyalty, honor) are in direct conflict with a narrative emphasizing teamwork and self-determination.
CarterSensei wrote:I wound up playing "Kaiju" for a group of 2nd graders who wanted to play sentai. I think I blew up.
christopherjohn
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Prop making

Post by christopherjohn »

Lunagel wrote:
KickHopper wrote:You're seriously just grasping at straws here. I honestly believe you're just looking for reasons to complain about this show.

I honestly watched it with an open mind, and frankly, I liked it a lot better than the more recent stuff. The effects were decent, acting was okay, the plot was about the same as Shinken, so no complaints there. My old nemesis "corny puns" was there but at this point it's kinda a staple of the series and at least they made sense.

If it seems like I'm nitpicking, it's cause I feel like this has potential, just I'm not feeling what is supposed to be the main focus of the series. The thing about samurai is that they're quintessentially Japanese, and if they take all that out, well, it doesn't work for me. We're in a big Japan boom right now, what with Naruto and Bleach, and this is the best time to make something, call it Japanese and it'll be automatically cool. The opportunity was there, I guess I'm just a little disapointed they didn't take it.

We are in a big Japan boom? Last I checked the Anime boom is dead. Power Rangers is aimed at a demographic that doesn't watch Bleach or Naruto. So thats mute really. However I do see what your saying to those who are old enough to watch Naruto at least it could of gotten them into Samurai. Then maybe the old teens with Bleach possibly if they actually brought in more Kendo elements to the show.

Still those are design elements and have hardly anything to do with the plot outside that this is a show about "samurai". You bring up that 4 of the 5 rangers aren't Asian. I bring up that 5 out of the 5 rangers aren't Japanese. So all 5 of them have backstory issues to resolve a little. However its not a plot hole. Far from it. These Samurai's lives and family history have little to do with the actual plot of the show. It would be nice to have some history but the fact is the Plot of this show is these Heroes beating the bad guys. How they got there isn't important.

As for their crappy Gi and only have 1 person dress as though they are studying Kendo and that be Jii I mean really it was that hard to color code some Kendo training gear. I can do it online right now and it be cheap as hell. Its still not a plot hole or anything related to the plot. Its just something that i'm nitpicking at myself.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Episode 3: Rainbows End is an actual theme park in NZ. Albeit, a really average one.
rizefall
Swedish Meatball
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by rizefall »

So how is the new series? I've only seen the first episode of the japanese one and god, this first episode here is way different. You who have watched both or just this new one, how is it overall so far?
"Lady Luck is smilin"
KickHopper
Kamen Knight

Post by KickHopper »

rizefall wrote:So how is the new series? I've only seen the first episode of the japanese one and god, this first episode here is way different. You who have watched both or just this new one, how is it overall so far?
Well first I should tell you, the first episode we've seen corresponds to episode 3 of Shinkenger. Rumor has it there were problems with what was supposed to be the first two episodes (or what was supposed to be an hour long special) and so they had to temporarily scrap and move on to the third episode. So far, there's mixed opinions on the series. Some people comment on the bad acting of a good chunk of the cast and the situations in the show being the same as its Japanese counterpart. Myself, I focus on the great acting of the other cast members like Mike/Green Ranger, Bulk and Spike, Jii, etc. And I also focus on the differences in the show, how the characters interact differently than in Shinkenger. I myself am enjoying it, especially because of Mike and also now that Deker's revealed himself. Also, my friends and I get a good laugh at the show calling Doukoku's sake "Zandred's medicine"
ImageImage
rizefall
Swedish Meatball

Post by rizefall »

KickHopper wrote:
rizefall wrote:So how is the new series? I've only seen the first episode of the japanese one and god, this first episode here is way different. You who have watched both or just this new one, how is it overall so far?
Well first I should tell you, the first episode we've seen corresponds to episode 3 of Shinkenger. Rumor has it there were problems with what was supposed to be the first two episodes (or what was supposed to be an hour long special) and so they had to temporarily scrap and move on to the third episode. So far, there's mixed opinions on the series. Some people comment on the bad acting of a good chunk of the cast and the situations in the show being the same as its Japanese counterpart. Myself, I focus on the great acting of the other cast members like Mike/Green Ranger, Bulk and Spike, Jii, etc. And I also focus on the differences in the show, how the characters interact differently than in Shinkenger. I myself am enjoying it, especially because of Mike and also now that Deker's revealed himself. Also, my friends and I get a good laugh at the show calling Doukoku's sake "Zandred's medicine"

Sweet just seen 3 episodes now and i kinda enjoy it. I just hate you never saw how they got their powers etc. Best opening to a sentai yet i to think is the first Power rangers, i remember when i was little and saw the first episodes about those two guys opening Rita´s prison and how they got picked, they got explained about everything. Right here it seems they jsut fight without any big reason. Maybe i'm just wrong ...

EDIT: I just noticed the "Power armor". Is that not used in the original from japan? Wonder why they added it... Still using more gear when you pilot a robot can be a good thing.
"Lady Luck is smilin"
Digifiend
Gabu

Post by Digifiend »

They added the "power armor" to sell more toys. And in a clever twist, it's called Mega Ranger Mode! Yes, a reference to PR in Space's Sentai source! :lol:
rizefall
Swedish Meatball

Post by rizefall »

Digifiend wrote:They added the "power armor" to sell more toys. And in a clever twist, it's called Mega Ranger Mode! Yes, a reference to PR in Space's Sentai source! :lol:
Aha thanks for the info!

New episode tomorow, sweet! :D
"Lady Luck is smilin"
Joe_Mello
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: The Iromonea

Post by Joe_Mello »

Digifiend wrote:They added the "power armor" to sell more toys. And in a clever twist, it's called Mega Ranger Mode! Yes, a reference to PR in Space's Sentai source! :lol:
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...
CarterSensei wrote:I wound up playing "Kaiju" for a group of 2nd graders who wanted to play sentai. I think I blew up.
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

So far, this season has been a carbon copy of Shinkenger. I was expecting more but its ok. I'm just glad Saban is in charge of PR again and not Disney. Hope the rest of the season goes well.

Return to “Americanized stuff”