Power Rangers Samurai

Forum for any member who isn't in the NoPowerRangers group. Talk about Americanized shows like Power Rangers and Dragon Knight here.
That Guy
Save the life
Favorite series: Gurren-Lagann
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Ozu Urara
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa Shigeki
Favorite Band: Disturbed
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Gurren-Lagann

Re: Power Rangers Samurai

Post by That Guy »

Even though I agree wholeheartedly with christopherjohn, I don't think the fact that we're not in the target audience doesn't mean we can't make some criticisms.
remolay
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Wizard's Costume
Favorite Actor?: Simon Pegg
Favorite Band: Queen
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Babylon 5
Quote: There's a hole in my neighborhood down which of late I cannot help but fall.
Type: INFP Healer

Post by remolay »

I'm officially convinced that Samurai is trying to be a parody of itself. I blame insult attacks.
Well I guess I'm not a pirate anymore now that img limits exist.

Help I can't help finding every yellow ranger cute
Adam500
Number 6
Number 6

Post by Adam500 »

christopherjohn wrote: Their job isn't to convince us that this is a good show. I think the show has massive flaws but I'm not to worried about it because I can go watch a better show that is Sentai. Just remember your not in the target demographic even though you are a fan.

I would buy that, except Saban has shown in the past that they can do better with this show, even when the the show is aimed at a different demographic than the one I belong to.
christopherjohn
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Prop making

Post by christopherjohn »

Adam500 wrote:
christopherjohn wrote: Their job isn't to convince us that this is a good show. I think the show has massive flaws but I'm not to worried about it because I can go watch a better show that is Sentai. Just remember your not in the target demographic even though you are a fan.

I would buy that, except Saban has shown in the past that they can do better with this show, even when the the show is aimed at a different demographic than the one I belong to.
You mean like MMPR which has no coherent storyline and is campy as hell. A lot more campy then Samurai and probably costs the same to make now then it did back then with all the original footage. You gotta remember the goal of the show is to catch kids attention. Then those kids to buy the toys. The Producers job is the make the cheapest show possible in order to get those ratings and toy sales.

More original footage costs money and it isn't cheap to make to being with. I would love better actors but better actors pull in a high pay then cheap off the street actors. You have to realize also that kids don't care about bad acting. They don't care about more serious storylines. They just want a fun tv show to watch.

Saban hasn't had this show in how many years? This is a reboot of a franchise that was overly campy and Saban statements was Jungle Fury and RPM wasn't funny enough. That tells you his mind set. You can also tell when he lost interest in the show as it became more expensive and brought in less ratings then MMPR. There were very few times did it bring in better ratings in the short term. Also a lot of these "serious" shows got lucky because the cast wasn't horrid and the over all story was serious. Yet the week by week was still filled with bad stories and campy setting. Timeforce and In Space aren't as serious as their over arching plots tell us they are. Also both of those shows were at the end of the franchises life span. In Space brought in enough ratings to green light Lost Galaxy yet Timeforce was the last Saban produced show as the next was Wildforce and that was Disney's first show. Which just used Saban's crew and then moved after that season was over.

Do I really need to bring In Space's team up episode with anther franchise into this?

That Guy wrote:Even though I agree wholeheartedly with christopherjohn, I don't think the fact that we're not in the target audience doesn't mean we can't make some criticisms.

Not saying you can't make some constructive criticism. Actually I like that because in fact if Saban does fish the net for reactions it is us adults who are talking seriously about it. The point though is when you criticize the show you must also remember its target age range. That usually means aiming at the lowest common. the shortest attention span.

I have major issues with Samurai. As an adult fan. There is pacing problems, the rangers chemistry isn't really there and considering these are now real life friends who spend a hell of a lot of time together. The writers really need to remember cohesion when writing their stories. it doesn't need to be in depth and complex but there needs to be something. This is one of the reasons I feel Felix is just getting screwed over. Not only is he bogged down to play a character that we saw before but he's his son which is just a clone of him. If I was writing for the show I would study the japanese footage and mannerisms of each ranger. Knowing the gold ranger a progression of more seriousness with Spike could lead to him being the gold ranger while still being comic relief and balancing his time with the rangers and his uncle's antics. It would also be a nice homage to Skull as saying you spent all this time in your teens obsessing over who the power rangers are but now Your son is one.

There are a ton of fundamental flaws in the structure of the show. This could very well be the fault of no proper introduction. Not even flashbacks at all which could be spread throughout each rangers focus episodes that leads to a great story. How hard would it of been to splice in some early moments so far. The Team Unites how it focus don the green ranger. Should of shown when he first joined the team. Even though they are still new it should of showed him arriving there and meeting the new rangers. It wouldn't detract from the story in fact it would of enhanced it. it would of reinforced his questioning himself and at the end the goal of overcoming the villain and even realizing he's made a mistake and still needs to learn.

simple things that could improve samurai will still not impacting its target age range. it is possible that we will eventually see this and that the show progression might improve.
KickHopper
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR W & Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Keitei Sousakan 7
Dreamy: Why yes I am
Favorite Actor?: Watanabe Hiroyuki
Favorite Band: Royksopp
My boom: Film Noir
Quote: "Walking the path of Hell, the man who serves no one."

Post by KickHopper »

Wait, since when is Spike gonna be gold ranger? Check imdb, man
ImageImage
christopherjohn
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

I think you miss understand my sentence there. I'll make it clearer. I meant if I personally was on the writing team I would of made Spike more serious character over time. Becoming the Gold Ranger. I'm well aware that he isn't the gold ranger. I also know who the Gold Ranger is I saw him on Glee.
KickHopper
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR W & Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Keitei Sousakan 7
Dreamy: Why yes I am
Favorite Actor?: Watanabe Hiroyuki
Favorite Band: Royksopp
My boom: Film Noir
Quote: "Walking the path of Hell, the man who serves no one."

Post by KickHopper »

Yeah sorry, little mix up there. It would have been an interesting plot twist for sure, though

Edit: Breaking news. I just got the Samurai Mega Blade. Man this thing is beast. Best Bandai sword ever.
ImageImage
markoclix
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Shinkenger

Post by markoclix »

I find it really interesting that they are continuing to do basically an episode by episode adaptation rather than changing things overall like they did with MMPR and PRIS. This is definitely interesting. I also appreciate the little intro about ancient Japan that they put in for a little explanation as to what in the world is going on.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Try and please a different set of fans? It's probably easier just to adapt it rather than write a whole new story around the footage.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I know that the first episode was in media res, but usually starting in the middle means that there's a beginning to go back to. Looking at the descriptions and titles for the first 9 episodes and comparing to the Shinkenger episodes, there is no episode that corresponds with episode 1. Beginning in the middle is fine, assuming you actually go back to the start.

Let's face it, if you haven't watched Shinkenger, you'd be wondering "Where'd they get their powers? Why? What does being a samurai have anything to do with it other than the helmets? What the hell is Ji's purpose? Why do the evil guys want to flood the Earth? Does Bulk have any purpose other than comic relief and fanwankery?"

Plotholes, is all I'm saying.
christopherjohn
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Its plot holes yes. Yet will the kids care? Thats the biggest question. i think I read there were talks of the origins appear sometime in or after 10. I'm gonna say they are going with 10 and since thats according to them mid point in season 1 it'd be the most logical place to place well a clip show/origins.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

I feel like that's just an excuse. "It's for kids" means you can have a certain amount of childishness, but major plot holes? And yes, the opening does explain a bit, but "they trained as samurai" doesn't tell you why. Saying "Samuraizers were passed down from parent to child" only brings up more questions since only one of them is Asian. Give kids a little credit, I'm sure there are some of them that are wonder the same things we are.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The rumour was they'd eventually go back and cover that episode. I think they will as well as the preview seemed to show the monster from the 1st episode of Shinkenger and various promos kind of had the whole group gathering thing.
Joe_Mello
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: The Iromonea

Post by Joe_Mello »

Lunagel wrote:Saying "Samuraizers were passed down from parent to child" only brings up more questions since only one of them is Asian.
Not to drag this thread in a different direction, but when I tried watching PRS, something crossed my mind. I understand the concept of showing a multicultural fighting force, and I'm totally down with that, but if this is a show about modern incarnations of Japanese warriors, why is the leader the white guy with the Bieber-cut?

I think the casting of ShinkenRed was a missed opportunity. Not only would it have made some amount of sense, it would've been a great message for the youth.
CarterSensei wrote:I wound up playing "Kaiju" for a group of 2nd graders who wanted to play sentai. I think I blew up.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Honestly, what crossed my mind was that if the kanji weren't so damn prominent, they probably would've called it Power Ranger Knight or something. So far they've managed to rip out pretty much all of the Japanese-ness that made Shinkenger so awesome because you could see the little attention to detail. I'm honestly not seeing anything that makes them "samurai" other than the fact that the narration says they are.

Return to “Americanized stuff”