Power Rangers Samurai

Forum for any member who isn't in the NoPowerRangers group. Talk about Americanized shows like Power Rangers and Dragon Knight here.
Warrior of Zarona
!Wizards
!Wizards

Re: Power Rangers Samurai

Post by Warrior of Zarona »

Spike just kinda annoys me. He laughs every 5 seconds for no reason, and it just turns really obnoxious. I think they could have gone a different route and should have picked a sidekick with a different personality than Skull. I mean, he's more like Skull x 10 more annoying.

Spoiler
I'm curious about how they're going to handle the "Liar" episode, and if they're going to bring that drama into this series. Obviously, Jayden isn't a "Lord" like Takeru was, so it makes me wonder if he has some sort of other secret to hide from the others.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Thats one thing I loved about Shinkenger. They set that up from the get go, and we had to all go 'man we're dumb for missing it'. Stuff like that has happened before in PR (Red OR was an android, etc).
remolay
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Wizard's Costume
Favorite Actor?: Simon Pegg
Favorite Band: Queen
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Babylon 5
Quote: There's a hole in my neighborhood down which of late I cannot help but fall.
Type: INFP Healer

Post by remolay »

So far the only thing I really don't like about Power Rangers Samurai is that they still haven't aired the first two episodes. Seriously, I like it better than SPD and Mystic Force. I don't know if Dekaranger or Magiranger are any good, but they were my least favorite.

And honestly, I really understand using Bulk and Spike, Bulk and Skull doing stuff involving teenagers would be creepy now.
Well I guess I'm not a pirate anymore now that img limits exist.

Help I can't help finding every yellow ranger cute
Adam500
Number 6
Number 6

Post by Adam500 »

I had to stop watching part way through the second (really should be fourth) episode. You guys seem to be a lot more forgiving than I am.

First off, wtf with these 'megaranger' suits. I'm fine with adding stuff to sell toys if it has a purpose in the show (read: battlizer) but this was just superfluous. I would have been much happier with the new cockpit and control-sword without out that unnecessary costume change.

In the second episode we get a line about how "I made a batch of medicine for Xandred, he'll be asleep for hours." Okay stop. Why? Why, why why? I understand not wanting to include Sake in this version. But this seems like another very superfluous change as it raises the question of why the hell the PRIMARY ANTAGONIST needs medication.

The acting is pretty meh, but I'll forgive that till around episode 8 or 10. By then the actors should have found the characters.

Not showing the first episode first, and instead beginning with the character episode for green was a horrible decision. I can understand 'in media res' but as someone else said, WHY have your first episode focus on one of the comedy relief characters?

So. Many. Horrible. Translation decisions. Sanzu River (love that they kept the name, points there I suppose) filled with tears? Seems too dumbed down even by PR standards. Could have easily kept the concept of being filled by despair. Spin Swords? Fire Smasher? I actually physically shuddered when I heard 'Fire Smasher'.

Originally I was happy Saban had bought power rangers back, and decided to move forward. I was a huge fan of it back in the day and even like a few of Disney's here and there (RPM was hilarious). But Saban has seemed to have forgotten how to make a 'good' power rangers series. I think we'll be lucky if we get another series after Samurai, much like Turbo once upon a time, and if we do get another one at this level of quality... I think that might be the end.

Still don't know if I'll keep watching, all of this keeps ruining my immersion in the stories.

/rant over.
KickHopper
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR W & Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Keitei Sousakan 7
Dreamy: Why yes I am
Favorite Actor?: Watanabe Hiroyuki
Favorite Band: Royksopp
My boom: Film Noir
Quote: "Walking the path of Hell, the man who serves no one."

Post by KickHopper »

>>First off, wtf with these 'megaranger' suits. I'm fine with adding stuff to sell toys if it has a purpose in the show (read: battlizer) but this was just superfluous. I would have been much happier with the new cockpit and control-sword without out that unnecessary costume change.
>Maybe they'll get explained through the show like most supposedly superfluous things in Rider and Sentai that show up.

>>In the second episode we get a line about how "I made a batch of medicine for Xandred, he'll be asleep for hours." Okay stop. Why? Why, why why? I understand not wanting to include Sake in this version. But this seems like another very superfluous change as it raises the question of why the hell the PRIMARY ANTAGONIST needs medication.
>Did you think it might be side effects from the seal? And tell me, what other liquid would you drink that can knock you out aside from alcohol?

>>Not showing the first episode first, and instead beginning with the character episode for green was a horrible decision. I can understand 'in media res' but as someone else said, WHY have your first episode focus on one of the comedy relief characters?
>From what I hear there were actual problems post-production with what were supposed to be the first episodes. They do what they can.

>>So. Many. Horrible. Translation decisions. Sanzu River (love that they kept the name, points there I suppose) filled with tears? Seems too dumbed down even by PR standards. Could have easily kept the concept of being filled by despair. Spin Swords? Fire Smasher? I actually physically shuddered when I heard 'Fire Smasher'.
>I think it being filled with tears is a pretty decent concept. It still adds that sense of horror for children, that monsters are feeding off of their sadness. Yes, Spin Sword is dumb, and Fire Smasher could be better, but weapon names are the last thing I really care about in a show and are pretty ignorable.

>>Originally I was happy Saban had bought power rangers back, and decided to move forward. I was a huge fan of it back in the day and even like a few of Disney's here and there (RPM was hilarious). But Saban has seemed to have forgotten how to make a 'good' power rangers series. I think we'll be lucky if we get another series after Samurai, much like Turbo once upon a time, and if we do get another one at this level of quality... I think that might be the end.
>Saban is simply the owner of the franchise now. You still have writers and directors to worry about. Unfortunately, they're still doing shit in New Zealand, which I think should stop, as they're limiting themselves immensely. And honestly, have looked back at the older shows lately? They had problems, too. And seriously, why are you comparing it to Shinkenger? Comparing it to the source material ALWAYS leads to heartache. If you go to a movie based on a book to simply spot the inaccuracies, are you going to actually enjoy the movie to it's fullest? No, you're not, because you're too busy trying to find it's flaws. I'm one of the biggest Tolkien fans around, and yes I was pissed they left out Tom Bombadil, and the actual events that occurred with Saruman and the Shire, but I just went with the flow and the trilogy is still one of my favorites around, despite it's flaws. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. Or not, that's obviously your choice.
ImageImage
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

You have to keep in mind that the names for weapons and stuff are targetted at 5-12 year olds. At 5, I'm sure I would have loved the name 'Fire Smasher'.
remolay
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Wizard's Costume
Favorite Actor?: Simon Pegg
Favorite Band: Queen
My boom: Babylon 5
Quote: There's a hole in my neighborhood down which of late I cannot help but fall.
Type: INFP Healer

Post by remolay »

Besides the fact that it's a kid's show, The names are still better than "Power sword, Power Axe, Power Dagger" and whatever the hell Kimberly and Billy had.
Well I guess I'm not a pirate anymore now that img limits exist.

Help I can't help finding every yellow ranger cute
JSoup

Post by JSoup »

I've only watched one episode, but I already feel about it how I did about pretty much all previous PR series: I like it, but I'd like it more if the actors would just not talk at all, ever. Or, at the very least, stop with the corny ass jokes.
Adam500
Number 6
Number 6

Post by Adam500 »

>Maybe they'll get explained through the show like most supposedly superfluous things in Rider and Sentai that show up.
I'll grant that, It just seems out of left field.

>Did you think it might be side effects from the seal? And tell me, what other liquid would you drink that can knock you out aside from alcohol?
My point was it likely would have been better to do what they could to remove all the references to alchohol if they were going to remove it at all. I could buy your explanation, but it still bugs me.

>From what I hear there were actual problems post-production with what were supposed to be the first episodes. They do what they can.
I understood this when I posted, again, my point was that there were other ways to deal with that problem. Would it have killed them to wait two more weeks to premiere?

>I think it being filled with tears is a pretty decent concept. It still adds that sense of horror for children, that monsters are feeding off of their sadness. Yes, Spin Sword is dumb, and Fire Smasher could be better, but weapon names are the last thing I really care about in a show and are pretty ignorable.
Again, I'll grant you the weapon names. Tears still bugs the hell out of me though.

>Saban is simply the owner of the franchise now. You still have writers and directors to worry about. Unfortunately, they're still doing shit in New Zealand, which I think should stop, as they're limiting themselves immensely. And honestly, have looked back at the older shows lately? They had problems, too. And seriously, why are you comparing it to Shinkenger? Comparing it to the source material ALWAYS leads to heartache. If you go to a movie based on a book to simply spot the inaccuracies, are you going to actually enjoy the movie to it's fullest? No, you're not, because you're too busy trying to find it's flaws. I'm one of the biggest Tolkien fans around, and yes I was pissed they left out Tom Bombadil, and the actual events that occurred with Saruman and the Shire, but I just went with the flow and the trilogy is still one of my favorites around, despite it's flaws. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. Or not, that's obviously your choice.

No. Stop right there. This is my biggest problem right there. I wouldn't be comparing it to Shinkenger had they gone the route they had in the past and wrote their own plots around the Shinkenger fight footage. I'm not watching Power Rangers: Samurai. I'm watching bloody damn Shinkenger in english with worse acting.

So yes, I will compare them, and yes Power Rangers Samurai is gonna look like a heap of garbage next to Shinkenger. But thats Saban's fault for being lazy.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Adam500 wrote:I wouldn't be comparing it to Shinkenger had they gone the route they had in the past and wrote their own plots around the Shinkenger fight footage. I'm not watching Power Rangers: Samurai. I'm watching bloody damn Shinkenger in english with worse acting.
This sums up my thoughts perfectly. Ordinarily, yes, I would say that PR and sentai are separate entities, but in this case, they aren't. I wouldn't say that JP and US Transformers are the same thing, but I would say that about The Ring and The Grudge, since their US adaptions were the same story, only worse acting.
JSoup

Post by JSoup »

Lunagel wrote:
Adam500 wrote:I wouldn't be comparing it to Shinkenger had they gone the route they had in the past and wrote their own plots around the Shinkenger fight footage. I'm not watching Power Rangers: Samurai. I'm watching bloody damn Shinkenger in english with worse acting.
This sums up my thoughts perfectly. Ordinarily, yes, I would say that PR and sentai are separate entities, but in this case, they aren't. I wouldn't say that JP and US Transformers are the same thing, but I would say that about The Ring and The Grudge, since their US adaptions were the same story, only worse acting.
In which case, this becomes less of an enjoyable show and more a nerdrage venture for people familiar with the source material and are pretty much watching it get rapped with bad jokes and horrible voices. I can remember old PRs having some amazing edit battles going on, one in particular that was a five minute battle between crap from three different Sentai. I'd like to see more of that than just a New Zealand cookie cutter.
KickHopper
Kamen Knight

Post by KickHopper »

I wonder if some of the same writers from Jungle Fury are involved in Samurai
ImageImage
Adam500
Number 6
Number 6

Post by Adam500 »

The only common thread seems to be director Luke Robinson, producer Sally Campbell.
christopherjohn
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Prop making

Post by christopherjohn »

An example I made on ranger board. I have a daughter in the age range for this show. Guess what she can't stop watching it. Everything that is wrong with this show Bulk and Spike that annoys adults she laughs her ass off. This isn aimed at children as low as 5 which means they have to make a show that a 5 year old can watch while keeping their attention till they are 10. Thats the goal not to make masterpieces of entertainment to get the target audience to watch and then buy their toys. I think they are doing their job if they keep their 2.3 rating score up each week and continue to bring in the target audience.

We as adults can find different venues to watch these things. You bring up Shinkenger guess what My daughter has no freaking clue what that is. I do I've watched it. You have to remember Saban knows we adult fans can go get it elsewhere. They don't care about us because we've already seen the footage before they even do. Their job isn't to convince us that this is a good show. I think the show has massive flaws but I'm not to worried about it because I can go watch a better show that is Sentai. Just remember your not in the target demographic even though you are a fan.
KickHopper
Kamen Knight

Post by KickHopper »